Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-27-2010, 11:10 AM

1,700 posts, read 3,423,174 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
Oh yeah the area is just chock full of professionals.

Like I said we're everywhere, your doctors office, I know several accountants personally from my class, lawyers, you can keep your mind closed all you want but the Island is filthy with us.

I will notice badly educated people when ever I want.

What does this even mean?

I do not need to edit myself to post on an online forum.

Seeing as how your so educated I'm sure I don't need to explain the fact that when you knock an area for a lack of an educated populace it helps that you proofread your argument, otherwise you just look silly. But I'm sure you already knew that.

I am soooo over it.

Clearly.

Finally, does tri-ham have it's warts? You bet, but so does everywhere else. I think people like to slam the area to feel better about themselves.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2010, 11:15 AM

131 posts, read 300,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
Oh yeah the area is just chock full of professionals.
I will notice badly educated people when ever I want. I do not need to edit myself to post on an online forum. The substance of what I wrote remains true.
I am soooo over it.
I have to agree with Sheena here. Go to that lovely hub of culture known as Pathmark on the SW corner of Wm Floyd and Montauk Hwy. Most professional rappers wouldn't shop there at night.

Old 07-27-2010, 02:20 PM

24,097 posts, read 32,437,200 times
A very scary place, Bacci. "Hub of culture" - now that's funny!!! Rep for you!

Old 09-10-2010, 10:24 AM

1 posts, read 4,131 times
If you have been to Mastic Beach in the last 10 years you would see a great community of proud homeowner's. William Floyd High School has a great group of student's and teacher's who are more than happy to help their students. I have two young adult children that have went to William Floyd and both of them are in private colleges. The sports program's at the high school level are great as well. Maybe you have the wrong group of people informing you of the living conditions here. I have lived here for 15 years never had any problems with crime. You should not speak of what you have no idea about. I have many friends who have lived on the north shore and have been told of mass drug sales within their high schools. It's all about bashing one long island community or another.

Old 09-10-2010, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wfproud mom View Post
If you have been to Mastic Beach in the last 10 years you would see a great community of proud homeowner's. William Floyd High School has a great group of student's and teacher's who are more than happy to help their students. I have two young adult children that have went to William Floyd and both of them are in private colleges. The sports program's at the high school level are great as well. Maybe you have the wrong group of people informing you of the living conditions here. I have lived here for 15 years never had any problems with crime. You should not speak of what you have no idea about. I have many friends who have lived on the north shore and have been told of mass drug sales within their high schools. It's all about bashing one long island community or another.
I'm sorry but some of the residents of Shirley and the teachers of the WF school district need a serious wake up call. Paca jr. high and the high school itself are the equivalent of min security correctional facilities. Well above average acts of violence (i.e., stabbings and other acts worthy of the news), teen pregnancies, very high drop out rate, and consistently low state ratings/testing scores. I have had several friends and in-laws who have/are currently attending these schools so I have the students perspective, not the teacher's often out of touch view on events.

Between the..
1. Poor school district
2. The currency of choice of the area (food stamps)
3. How one out of every three residents seem to be missing their front teeth.
4. Above average crime.
5. The fact that you can get a house on the water..and yet you still live in a scuzzy area.
6. You can't enter that aforementioned PathMark after 11:00PM and retain bladder control due to fear

..This really makes Shirley an ideal place for a postcard setting for Suffolk County living.

I went to 3V schools and while they had drug issues, you can't even compare a district like that to WM Floyd as far as student saftey.

Old 09-10-2010, 02:31 PM

74 posts, read 207,383 times
I am another person who lives in the Mastic area and am doing great here. My parents as well as my wife's parents live here ,and no, we aren't dirtbags. My wife and I are both teachers. My father just retired after being a parole officer. You are correct about certain aspects of Shirley/Mastic, but EVERYTHING you say is exaggerated or applies anywhere you go. Most of the time I hear people bashing Shirley/Mastic, they are usually just trying to justify their overpriced/highly taxed areas where they are living in tiny houses.

For example: "Poor School District" - Yes, the William Floyd School District doesn't have a lot of money due to lots of corruption, but most of those people were cleaned out a few years ago. Even with the poverty in the area, their football team still manages to win nearly undefeated every year. Also, William Floyd did much better than most districts in last year's Math Regents. Number of LI eighth-graders taking Regent exams jumps

If you look at 3V, they had a whopping 31% passing the test while William Floyd was at 64%. Keep on bashing other town's schools.....

2. The currency of choice of the area (food stamps) - I don't think this is even worthy of a response (but I will anyway). The town of Brookhaven/State of NY unfairly dumps sex offenders into these areas and that results in more poor people who are usually trash. The regular/normal people in this town are not happy with the current situation which is why we are trying to change it.

6. You can't enter that aforementioned PathMark after 11:00PM and retain bladder control due to fear

In what town would you go to a PathMark after 11:00pm and feel comfortable? There is something wrong with you if you are going to PathMark at 11:00pm and hanging out in a parking lot.

I went to 3V schools and while they had drug issues, you can't even compare a district like that to WM Floyd as far as student safety.

So the richer kids at 3V do cocaine while the kids at Floyd smoke pot...Same thing at West Hampton Beach, etc...Student safety is not compromised in any school districts on Long Island. I love how you also write about teen pregnancies being high. I guess the rich kids in 3V don't have sex...oh wait, their parents just make them have abortions to take care of their problems or they instantly remove the student from school to avoid embarrassment where the William Floyd parents do not have the same resources.

Why don't you think next time before making such an uneducated, elitist post?

As a final thought, there are so many good people in the Mastic/Shirley/Mastic Beach area that it is infuriating to hear people bash the town because of the small, but visible population of undesirables dumped unfairly by the State of NY. We are trying to change the situation, but it does not help to have lots of outside people constantly stigmatizing the area.

Last edited by PreciousMonster; 09-10-2010 at 02:42 PM..

Old 09-10-2010, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PreciousMonster View Post
I am another person who lives in the Mastic area and am doing great here. My parents as well as my wife's parents live here and no, we aren't dirtbags. My wife and I are both teachers. My father just retired after being a parole officer. You are correct about certain aspects of Shirley/Mastic, but EVERYTHING you say is exaggerated or applies anywhere you go. Most of the time I hear people bashing Shirley/Mastic, they are usually just trying to justify their overpriced/highly taxed areas where they are living in tiny houses.

For example: "Poor School District" - Yes, the William Floyd School District doesn't have a lot of money due to lots of corruption, but most of those people were cleaned out a few years ago. Even with the poverty in the area, their football team still manages to win nearly undefeated every year. Also, William Floyd did much better than most districts in last year's Math Regents. Number of LI eighth-graders taking Regent exams jumps

If you look at 3V, they had a whopping 31% passing the test while William Floyd was at 64%. Keep on bashing other town's schools.....

2. The currency of choice of the area (food stamps) - I don't think this is even worthy of a response (but I will anyway). The town of Brookhaven/State of NY unfairly dumps sex offenders into these areas and that results in more poor people who are usually trash. The regular/normal people in this town are not happy with the current situation which is why we are trying to change it.

In what town would you go to a PathMark after 11:00pm and feel comfortable? There is something wrong with you if you are going to PathMark at 11:00pm and hanging out in a parking lot.

I went to 3V schools and while they had drug issues, you can't even compare a district like that to WM Floyd as far as student safety.

So the richer kids at 3V do cocaine while the kids at Floyd smoke pot...Same thing at West Hampton Beach, etc...Student safety is not compromised in any school districts on Long Island. I love how you also write about teen pregnancies being high. I guess the rich kids in 3V don't have sex...oh wait, their parents just make them have abortions to take care of their problems or they instantly remove the student from school to avoid embarrassment where the William Floyd parents do not have the same resources.

Why don't you think next time before making such an uneducated, elitist post?

As a final thought, there are so many good people in the Mastic/Shirley/Mastic Beach area that it is infuriating to hear people bash the town because of the small, but visible population of undesirables dumped unfairly by the State of NY. We are trying to change the situation, but it does not help to have lots of outside people constantly stigmatizing the area.
Well, I guess we at least agree on points 3, 4, and 5 since you did not fillibuster until your fingers bled on those statements.

As I said in my earlier post, you are a teacher with a different point of view and experience of what it is like in that hell hole you call your place of employment. - and do you SERIOUSLY think that the high number of drop outs, the low % of kids going on to a 4 year college, and the high teen pregnancy rate in your district is anywhere near the county baseline?? Seriously, get off the atypical teacher's "high horse" and think you are more in tune with reality and more educated than most because chances are, you're not. But please, keep championing higher property taxes "for the children" and continue to return sub-par performance in the WF district.

As for "The regular/normal people in this town are not happy with the current situation (sex offenders) which is why we are trying to change it."
You guys have been trying to change it for a while now and will continue to be unsuccessful. Since I have become familiar with the Shirley in the late 80's, the area has steadily degraded in all respects. Most notably, with respect to this subject matter.

And yes, many people who live in Suffolk and have to commute an hour plus for their jobs, when they have to work late (a concept foreign to most teachers...and I'm trying not to teacher bash here but it's just too hard not to in this respect), occasionally shopping at a supermarket past 11:00PM becomes a necessity.

In a nutshell, when a majority of people have a negative opinion of a particular town, there is a reason for it - the area is not desireable. Nine towns out of ten do not get better once they begin to decline....and Shirley is definetly one of them. Live in reality since you are not going to change it.

Old 09-10-2010, 03:57 PM

74 posts, read 207,383 times
First, I said I am a teacher; not a teacher at the William Floyd School District. I didn't address two of the other points because they are dumb and not worth addressing. The point about crime I can't address yet, because the statistics I found were contrary to what you said, but I wanted more proof before I proved you wrong. On multiple sites, Mastic and Setauket both received a 4/10 on the safety scale.

I do notice how you nicely avoided addressing any of the points I made to you and instead just bashed teachers on a wrong assumption (that I am actually a teacher at the WFSD). You didn't address WF having the best football team and defeating most schools on the 9th grade math Regents (yet they have 8th graders take it).

Please show me statistics on teen pregnancy, teen dropout, and student/college ratio for the Mastic/Shirley area. As I already addressed, pregnancy among those in the richer areas are much quicker to hide their pregnancy (or get rid of it) as they have the resources to do so. I would like to see the student/college ratio at Floyd compared to a Three Village District.

You say "the area has degraded in all respects." Clearly you haven't been to the area as Montauk highway looks nicer than most western Nassau towns. Brand new roads, nicely planted trees, and new businesses...terrible, I know.

As a teacher, I work early hours, because I received an education, a master's degree, and received a great public job with a pension. This was my decision so please don't be jealous. I am sure you are so busy working from 6am-11pm, that you must go food shopping at that time. What area would you go to a PathMark at this time and not be fearful?

Your logic is so bad that it actually pains me to respond to this stupidity. For example, when a "majority of people have a negative opinion of a particular town, there is a reason for it - the area is not desireable." Your logical fallacy is argumentum ad populum. Maybe you can educate yourself and read a bit about it.

Old 09-10-2010, 06:11 PM

752 posts, read 1,462,128 times
I have lived in Mastic Beach for 2 years now, I am not a teacher...not a doctor...not an idiot, I have all of my teeth as does my wife, although my 4 month old son hasnt grown any yet so you may have me there ( 1 out of 3) I dont buy my food with food stamps or a benefits card.
I have a full time job as does my wife
I pay my mortgage (dont rent)
I dont shop at pathmark
My neighbors arent drug dealers ( there may be one around here somewhere though)
theres one in every neighborhood
I like riding my bike to smiths point
I dont like bashing other peoples neigborhoods
I grew up in Huntington village and huntington bay
I lived in Northport
Now I like it here
Keep your uneducated opinions to yourself!

Old 09-10-2010, 06:15 PM

"Maybe you can educate yourself " - wow, that mandatory master's degree has really gone to your head..hasn't it. Since you brought up education, I also have a master's in computer science (but, I don't go around thinking I have to educate the world) and I GUARANTEE I make 2-3X your salary (full time job and consulting). I'd gladly like to work less like you but, I just wouldn't feel right taking a part-time job with full time pay at taxpayers expense while having a delusion that I am a full time professional...I like being productive. I have to admit though, with your bi-annual increases, your salary will catch up to mine (albeit, part time hours).

Anyway, back to the topic. Do you really think that posters such as Sheena, who has stated she has lived in your vicinity, and myself who has frequented the area for the last 20 years, are saying these things about Shirley because we are bored? No, these are our observations of this town to the relative surrounding area. If you review the other, similiar threads on this topic throughout this forum, you will find a large number of posters (even dare I say the majority) agreeing with Sheena and myself. I'm sorry but, you have your head in the sand plain and simple. There are people who live on the most crime ridden streets of Wyandanch and CI and swear the town is fine, it's just a "few rotten apples"....that is you. If you have ever driven down Neighborhood Rd at night, tell me you could say to yourself "wow, I'd feel safe and secure walking down this road by myself". Please...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island