Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-10-2010, 06:28 PM

752 posts, read 1,462,974 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bacci Balls View Post
"Maybe you can educate yourself " - wow, that mandatory master's degree has really gone to your head..hasn't it. Since you brought up education, I also have a master's in computer science (but, I don't go around thinking I have to educate the world) and I GUARANTEE I make 2-3X your salary (full time job and consulting). I'd gladly like to work less like you but, I just wouldn't feel right taking a part-time job with full time pay at taxpayers expense while having a delusion that I am a full time professional...I like being productive. I have to admit though, with your bi-annual increases, your salary will catch up to mine (albeit, part time hours).

Anyway, back to the topic. Do you really think that posters such as Sheena, who has stated she has lived in your vicinity, and myself who has frequented the area for the last 20 years, are saying these things about Shirley because we are bored? No, these are our observations of this town to the relative surrounding area. If you review the other, similiar threads on this topic throughout this forum, you will find a large number of posters (even dare I say the majority) agreeing with Sheena and myself. I'm sorry but, you have your head in the sand plain and simple. There are people who live on the most crime ridden streets of Wyandanch and CI and swear the town is fine, it's just a "few rotten apples"....that is you. If you have ever driven down Neighborhood Rd at night, tell me you could say to yourself "wow, I'd feel safe and secure walking down this road by myself". Please...
I didnt mean that you were uneducated, I meant you had an uneducated opinion of Mastic Beach. I dont sling around insults at people the way you do. But thanks for telling me you make more money than me, because surely the amount of money you make is directly related to your level of intelligence. Plus you dont know what I do for a living so how could you possibly assume that you are better than me or make more money or anything else for that matter?
Your just a sad, sad person sitting at the top of your pedestal pointing fingers, if telling yourself that your better than me makes you feel better than please continue.

Last edited by minesbroken; 09-10-2010 at 06:36 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2010, 06:30 PM

I dont go by other peoples opinions, I have enough common sense to gather my own information and then come to my own conclusions. Mastic Beach was at one time a bad area to live in, It has been steadily improving, It cant be compared to Brentwood or Wyndanch, such comparisons just strengthen my belief that you dont know the area.

Old 09-10-2010, 07:24 PM

131 posts, read 300,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by minesbroken View Post
I didnt mean that you were uneducated, I meant you had an uneducated opinion of Mastic Beach. I dont sling around insults at people the way you do. But thanks for telling me you make more money than me, because surely the amount of money you make is directly related to your level of intelligence. Plus you dont know what I do for a living so how could you possibly assume that you are better than me or make more money or anything else for that matter?
Your just a sad, sad person sitting at the top of your pedestal pointing fingers, if telling yourself that your better than me makes you feel better than please continue.
That comment regarding salary/education was for PreciousMonster, because she made comments indicating she was educated, I was not, and therefore had a mandatory obligation to enlighten me. Otherwise, I would not have gone there.

I assure you, I am quite familiar with your area....have been for the last 20 years or so. In fact, my dentist currently resides on Neighborhood Rd. I understand you having pride in the area in which you live but, you just can't call observations like mine, Sheena's, and so many other's on this board who echo similar sentiments as being uneducated (merely because, you do not agree with them). I didn't start this thread, just merely contributing to it. This is not a "I love Shirley/Mastic" thread - it is a reality check of the area which others may find useful - useful as in the collective's perspective of reality.

Old 09-10-2010, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bacci Balls View Post
That comment regarding salary/education was for PreciousMonster, because she made comments indicating she was educated, I was not, and therefore had a mandatory obligation to enlighten me. Otherwise, I would not have gone there.

I assure you, I am quite familiar with your area....have been for the last 20 years or so. In fact, my dentist currently resides on Neighborhood Rd. I understand you having pride in the area in which you live but, you just can't call observations like mine, Sheena's, and so many other's on this board who echo similar sentiments as being uneducated (merely because, you do not agree with them). I didn't start this thread, just merely contributing to it. This is not a "I love Shirley/Mastic" thread - it is a reality check of the area which others may find useful - useful as in the collective's perspective of reality.
Alot of good people are buying Homes in the Mastic Beach area right now, I cant speak for Shirley, I dont live there. My area has become nicer just in the two years I have lived here...thats all I'm saying. If more nice people moved in it would be even nicer.
everyone here is not missing teeth
not paying for food with stamps
every lawn doesnt have a broken car on it
and every house isnt a trailer
I have heard all those things on this forum and more
you are all wrong
you are all talking about small pockets of problems in a large area
I feel safer here than I would in certain parts of Huntington station I can tell you that much.
It's a matter of perspective
if you dont live here your not going to have the same perspective that I do.
It's not as bad as you say, granted it may not be as GOOD as some people say either.
It certainly isnt a Wyndanch or a Brentwood
but it isnt a Huntington Bay or Northport either
But it could be if a few more good people who gave a crap moved in like I did.
It is a beautiful beach community with tons of potential.
Now we have become an incorperated village
lets see where line ends...
being "familiar" with an area is hardly the same as living there and
having a dentist that lives here doesnt make you an expert.
It may not be an I love shirley thread
but it isnt an I Hate shirley thread either...
I agree that it is a reality check that people may find useful
apparently my reality is different than yours being that I live in the area that we are talking about.
and you dont..

Old 09-11-2010, 11:25 AM

1,919 posts, read 5,770,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by minesbroken View Post

Your should be You're. First time a typo, second time a problem with basic writing skills. You have a master's degree? I hope the average William Floyd High School student wouldn't make the same mistake.

This is all "not for nothin." Nod to Shenna, I hate that term as well.

Old 09-11-2010, 04:33 PM

50 posts, read 102,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PreciousMonster View Post
I am another person who lives in the Mastic area and am doing great here. My parents as well as my wife's parents live here ,and no, we aren't dirtbags. My wife and I are both teachers. My father just retired after being a parole officer. You are correct about certain aspects of Shirley/Mastic, but EVERYTHING you say is exaggerated or applies anywhere you go. Most of the time I hear people bashing Shirley/Mastic, they are usually just trying to justify their overpriced/highly taxed areas where they are living in tiny houses.

For example: "Poor School District" - Yes, the William Floyd School District doesn't have a lot of money due to lots of corruption, but most of those people were cleaned out a few years ago. Even with the poverty in the area, their football team still manages to win nearly undefeated every year. Also, William Floyd did much better than most districts in last year's Math Regents. Number of LI eighth-graders taking Regent exams jumps

If you look at 3V, they had a whopping 31% passing the test while William Floyd was at 64%. Keep on bashing other town's schools.....

2. The currency of choice of the area (food stamps) - I don't think this is even worthy of a response (but I will anyway). The town of Brookhaven/State of NY unfairly dumps sex offenders into these areas and that results in more poor people who are usually trash. The regular/normal people in this town are not happy with the current situation which is why we are trying to change it.

6. You can't enter that aforementioned PathMark after 11:00PM and retain bladder control due to fear

In what town would you go to a PathMark after 11:00pm and feel comfortable? There is something wrong with you if you are going to PathMark at 11:00pm and hanging out in a parking lot.

I went to 3V schools and while they had drug issues, you can't even compare a district like that to WM Floyd as far as student safety.

So the richer kids at 3V do cocaine while the kids at Floyd smoke pot...Same thing at West Hampton Beach, etc...Student safety is not compromised in any school districts on Long Island. I love how you also write about teen pregnancies being high. I guess the rich kids in 3V don't have sex...oh wait, their parents just make them have abortions to take care of their problems or they instantly remove the student from school to avoid embarrassment where the William Floyd parents do not have the same resources.

Why don't you think next time before making such an uneducated, elitist post?

As a final thought, there are so many good people in the Mastic/Shirley/Mastic Beach area that it is infuriating to hear people bash the town because of the small, but visible population of undesirables dumped unfairly by the State of NY. We are trying to change the situation, but it does not help to have lots of outside people constantly stigmatizing the area.

Good comment. Granted there are parts of Long Island that are unsafe. But many people are just being snobby. They think any town that isn't filled with huge, expensive houses with luxury vehichles in the driveways is "white trash". It's like these people never grew out of the 8th grade mentality that you are just so uncool if you don't have the latest designer jeans.

There is nothing wrong with doing well and having nice things. What's wrong is using your achievements to look down on others.

A person isn't "white trash" just because they don't live in a $700,000 house, just like a kid is not a loser just because they aren't wearing the latest designer label. Only immature people would think otherwise.

Old 09-11-2010, 05:05 PM

1,615 posts, read 3,581,872 times
Where can I buy a pair of those rose colored glasses?

Old 09-11-2010, 05:43 PM

1,919 posts, read 5,770,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PreciousMonster View Post

6. You can't enter that aforementioned PathMark after 11:00PM and retain bladder control due to fear

In what town would you go to a PathMark after 11:00pm and feel comfortable? There is something wrong with you if you are going to PathMark at 11:00pm and hanging out in a parking lot.

True, Pathmark supermarkets do tend to be located in undesirable towns and very shady things happen at night. I was in the Centereach location around 3 am, I went down an aisle and saw a man performing sex on another man. I made a u-turn and departed the store. Don't they have cameras in these stores? If insanity like this is happening in the CR store, it must be worse at Patchogue, Port Jeff Station or Shirley stores.

Old 09-11-2010, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1nevets View Post
Your should be You're. First time a typo, second time a problem with basic writing skills. You have a master's degree? I hope the average William Floyd High School student wouldn't make the same mistake.

This is all "not for nothin." Nod to Shenna, I hate that term as well.
I never said I had a masters degree, I dont wear my accomplishments on my chest like a badge of honor, And I dont make assumptions based on text in a forum window. I am certainly no english major. and I was typing fast so I left out a few things, I'm not writing a term paper or an essay, this is not being graded by anyone but you.
since I dont care about "you're" opinion and you seem to have no opinion on the content of the post or the subject of the thread I will ignore you from now on.

Old 09-11-2010, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mj949 View Post
Good comment. Granted there are parts of Long Island that are unsafe. But many people are just being snobby. They think any town that isn't filled with huge, expensive houses with luxury vehichles in the driveways is "white trash". It's like these people never grew out of the 8th grade mentality that you are just so uncool if you don't have the latest designer jeans.

There is nothing wrong with doing well and having nice things. What's wrong is using your achievements to look down on others.

A person isn't "white trash" just because they don't live in a $700,000 house, just like a kid is not a loser just because they aren't wearing the latest designer label. Only immature people would think otherwise.
Bravo! we could all learn something from one another if we werent too busy looking down our noses from the top of our pedestals.
If I had to describe the typical Long Islander in two words they would be
"ME FIRST"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island