Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2010, 05:19 PM

7,658 posts, read 19,178,765 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
THere is no area in Garden City that fits this bill. Murder or no. Remember Bill Parente, the GC guy who murdered his whole family last spring? Doesn't make where he lived seedy or in need of improvement.

I did mention I would not live in the area of town that borders Hempstead, which is where that unfortunate soul who was murdered was dumped in GC.

No part of Cold Spring Harbor comes even remotely close to bad areas of Huntington Station. But there are parts of Huntington - some even pretty nice parts - that butt up against H.S. that would be a no-go for me.

I worked in Massapequa for many years, yes there are plenty of places that border on the not-so-nice. But maybe it's in the eye of the beholder. Personally, I would not want to live anywhere near any commercial enterprise - in Nassau that could mean half the county!
Good points.

Garden City is BEAUTIFUL.
My point it that every town has an area thats less desirable(with the obvious exception of Motzohpizza park) and its all relative.

I didnt open this thread to gloat or bash Im just curious how many of you would come clean about it.
Were always rootin for our hometowns.
Hows about some warts n all.

Crooks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2010, 05:26 PM

22,672 posts, read 36,816,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crookhaven View Post
My point it that every town has an area thats less desirable and its all relative.
ITA. Some people will overlook things just to get into a certain price point or a certain town. I think there is no such thing as perfection, you just have to try to come close!

There was a house for sale here in GC that was seriously on the market for like 2 years when DH and I were looking in the mid-90s. FINALLY someone bought it. It didn't sell because it was a kind of fork in a road off a busy road. Sort of 3 roads coming together. Now I look at that house and think "what was the big deal about it?" I mean, nothing has changed. But when you're looking you're always wondering what's going to happen in 5,10, 20 years. Is the road going to get busier, etc.

THere was another house I wanted to look at and DH said no - it had a big empty lot behind it and he said he was sure someone would build a house there. They did - a big McMansion-y thing. ANd there went the backyard on the other house! But both houses have changed hands since then so I again - not everyone cares.

Old 01-28-2010, 07:18 PM

8,164 posts, read 15,148,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
Long Beach by the train station & behind Walbaum's- yikes, sketchy!
Most areas near train stations go down hill(Port Jeff Station/Ronk/CI).

Old 01-28-2010, 08:26 PM

8,816 posts, read 21,286,964 times
What about Old Field? I don't know of any rundown part of that town.

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Old 01-28-2010, 09:00 PM

732 posts, read 1,735,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancet71 View Post
Patchogue too.

Old 01-28-2010, 10:00 PM

7,658 posts, read 19,178,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nancy thereader View Post

Listen Old Field is no Massapequa Park but I would say the East Setauket mushroom houses, Arrowhead and the critter section might be approaching awful....again might.

If you were calling out Belle Terre Id point you to PJ Station too.

Crooks

Old 01-28-2010, 10:46 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,730,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nancy thereader View Post
It's looking rather seedy by the lighthouse. Old sailors swigging rum and singing chanties. Oh wait. That was me and a few of my girls after the house tour a few years back

It's tough to have a run down area when the fixer-uppers are in the over $800K range.

Old 01-28-2010, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crookhaven View Post
Listen Old Field is no Massapequa Park but I would say the East Setauket mushroom houses, Arrowhead and the critter section might be approaching awful....again might.

If you were calling out Belle Terre Id point you to PJ Station too.

Crooks
Yes, that stretch along Old Town near Sheep Pasture is looking very grungy.

Old 01-28-2010, 10:50 PM

Stony Brook -- grungy area is University Heights, followed by M & O.
Nice area -- north of 25A, closer to Christian, Shore Rd and all the little roads that dead end up at the water's edge.

Old 01-28-2010, 11:27 PM

2,845 posts, read 10,513,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancet71 View Post
Not always true....it's also not that the area "went downhill" in most cases on LI, it's just that the train station likely existed before most of the surrounding buildings...so when the area was built up, mostly industrial properties sprung up in the immediate vicinity of the train tracks, while residential development was placed further away to avoid the noise and congestion of people coming and going. Seems like this is what most stations in Central Suffolk are like.

In most older LI communities, like ones that date back to the 19th century, close proximity to the railroad station was considered prime real estate. People didn't mind the noise, because having transportation that close by was considered a sign of living in a prominent, progressive town. Garden City actually built it's own railroad (what is now the Hempstead Branch) to lure buyers out from the city. Bellerose was also developed with it's own neighborhood LIRR stop...both are still very affluent areas.

In other places, mixed-use and commercial properties dominated the landscape right near train stations...attempting to lure in commuter and traveler dollars. Some areas these haven't held up too well (Freeport, Hempstead, Hicksville, Westbury) other ones they have thrived or even improved (Rockville Centre, Bellmore, Great Neck Plaza, Amityville, Babylon, East Williston...MANY others).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island