Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2010, 12:22 AM

8,164 posts, read 15,148,915 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crookhaven View Post
Listen Old Field is no Massapequa Park but I would say the East Setauket mushroom houses, Arrowhead and the critter section might be approaching awful....again might.

If you were calling out Belle Terre Id point you to PJ Station too.

Crooks
You're right about arrowhead that it could be the lesser area but not horrendous.For belle terre there are streets right by it downtown off east broadway that are a little sketchy on the north side of the road but fairly well hidden.Also if you go through the gates and make a right there are quite a few questionable houses.In the old field and poquott areas it is a house by house situation with many weird hermits scattered in these towns.Port Jeff Station has the lake streets,and the area by woodhull which has gone down a little.Boyle road side by janet and rush development(behind Heatherwood GC) is still holding up pretty well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2010, 06:35 AM

7,658 posts, read 19,178,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
Yes, that stretch along Old Town near Sheep Pasture is looking very grungy.

Oh its rough alright OBH
Very.

In fact I took my wife through because she refused to believe there was a rough area in E Setauket.

One in the Mushroom house area we saw had a pitbull staked to the front (dirt)yard and sheet of plywood for a front door. The neighborhood was clearly overrun with rentals and there were a ton of foreclosures.
It was never great but never like this.Not sure what went wrong (drugs?) there but its gone straight to hell since the 80s

Now thats an area thats prime for gentrification considering its right next to 600k Island Estates homes and has 3v schools.Also they just added the Bike trail which came out awesome.

Crooks

Old 01-29-2010, 06:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancet71 View Post
You're right about arrowhead that it could be the lesser area but not horrendous.For belle terre there are streets right by it downtown off east broadway that are a little sketchy on the north side of the road but fairly well hidden.Also if you go through the gates and make a right there are quite a few questionable houses.In the old field and poquott areas it is a house by house situation with many weird hermits scattered in these towns.Port Jeff Station has the lake streets,and the area by woodhull which has gone down a little.Boyle road side by janet and rush development(behind Heatherwood GC) is still holding up pretty well.

Agreed,Arrowhead is a little nicer than the Mushroom/Critter but its still the low water mark for 3v.
Behind Heatherwood is S Setauket 3V and on par with Arrowhead.

Event the worst part of 3v is still in 3v.
Comsewogue not so much, Id take Arrowhead over the best area in PJS.

Wheres the rest of Nassau or the East End on this thread?

Last edited by Crookhaven; 01-29-2010 at 06:51 AM..

Old 01-29-2010, 07:08 AM

1,963 posts, read 4,246,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gpsma View Post
Well if you ever get out of that paradise you think Rocky Point is, come over to Massapequa Park...show me a grungy "bad" area in that village.

BTW..you forget I'm in Rocky Point every week. Its not heaven, dude. No matter how much cheap cerveza the amigos shared with you.
I live in Massapequa Park too and I would agree with you for the most part but if you head east on Merrick Rd it gets a little sketchy in East Massapequa behind the 7-11 and across from Berner too. and that borders against Mass Park. Not horrible but at least a bit shady. I dont know of a 'bad' area in Massapequa Park proper though.

Old 01-29-2010, 07:52 AM

12,766 posts, read 18,386,823 times
Quote:
Most areas near train stations go down hill(Port Jeff Station/Ronk/CI).
I agree with Sean x3 on this...not always. Wantagh for example doesn't have a bad area that I can think of...even by the train station.

Old 01-29-2010, 09:41 AM

745 posts, read 1,505,400 times
Ok, for Manorville, there are a couple parts. South Street Rd, from Weeks to Wading River Rd. is run down. Parts of Silas Carter (and the area near the post office) don't look great either.

Old 01-29-2010, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StephM View Post
Ok, for Manorville, there are a couple parts. South Street Rd, from Weeks to Wading River Rd. is run down. Parts of Silas Carter (and the area near the post office) don't look great either.

No kiddin, I thought that was Calverton.

I kinda like that little hideout north of the LIE.
Its run down but kind of cool too.

Old 01-29-2010, 10:45 AM

16,966 posts, read 34,730,092 times
Quote:
In the old field and poquott areas it is a house by house situation with many weird hermits scattered in these towns.
The 50 Most Expensive Small Towns in America 2010: No. 35: Old Field, N.Y. - BusinessWeek

Considering that Old Field is the 35th most expensive small town in the US (according to Business Week) I would have to ask whether you know exactly where Old Field proper begins, and when the last time was that you drove through.

There is an inventory of old and new homes, some owned by older people, some by reclusive rich ones. A person being a 'weird hermit' does not necessarily make for a crappy area.

Onto Poquott...
Poquott has two very distinct areas -- Old and New. Old Poquott is primarily off of Washington, close to the water and to the LIPA stacks. Most of the older homes are beach cottages converted to year round dwellings and later expanded. One of these is currently on the market for over $1 mil. Pretty crappy, right? Yet this is the area that some folks might designate as crappy, simply because the homes aren't large, imposing, pretentious...you get the idea.

New Poquott is dominated by McMansions, some old estate type homes and a few 1950's and later mundane type of homes. Nothing shady or sketchy to speak of.

If given a choice of 'crappy areas' I would go with Old Field, but then again, I can't afford it.

Old 01-29-2010, 10:49 AM

16,966 posts, read 34,730,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crookhaven View Post
Oh its rough alright OBH
Very.

In fact I took my wife through because she refused to believe there was a rough area in E Setauket.

One in the Mushroom house area we saw had a pitbull staked to the front (dirt)yard and sheet of plywood for a front door. The neighborhood was clearly overrun with rentals and there were a ton of foreclosures.
It was never great but never like this.Not sure what went wrong (drugs?) there but its gone straight to hell since the 80s

Now thats an area thats prime for gentrification considering its right next to 600k Island Estates homes and has 3v schools.Also they just added the Bike trail which came out awesome.

Crooks
My theory is: absentee landlords, people buying over their heads during the housing boom, as well as people sucking all the equity out of their homes to live large on small paychecks.

Old 01-29-2010, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
My theory is: absentee landlords, people buying over their heads during the housing boom, as well as people sucking all the equity out of their homes to live large on small paychecks.

I wish I had money Id be gobbling up foreclsures in there like crazy
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island