Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2010, 07:03 PM

136 posts, read 492,796 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pequaman View Post
Because they are not districted to go there, you nitwit. If it were based on your backwards logic of kids going to schools geographically closest to them, every single school in the county would have a drastically different student body than they do today. The racist card went with the 90's, get up to date..It has nothing to do with your racist conspiracy theories...I bet if Berner wasn't blue ribbon quality and was instead the quality of hempstead HS, you'd be instantly changing your tune on the issue.

People are fully aware of what SD they are in when they move to an area. They don't buy based on proximity to the school hoping to get in because it's closer to them!?! Newbie..
LOL how did I know that you were going to revisit some of my earlier posts with another "brilliant" comment!? And who the heck is even saying Berner JH is a great school? It's just 20 feet away from those kids - that is all (one of the more extreme examples of districting on LI). But maybe if you would get your head out of your you know what, you would realize that in the 90s people like you made damn sure that there would be no redistricting in that area. School district boundaries can be changed - they are not set in stone and are not dependent on "how much you pay for a house". Yeah it doesn't happen a lot (especially on Long Island), but it is not impossible.

Back in the late 70s and 80s, when people started really moving into that area (which was still in a somewhat 'developmental' stage with a lot of people moving in from the city), there was a thinking that with the switch over from "W. Amityville" (Walter please it is not necessary here), the district would eventually be shifted as well. Not saying that it was something that was a definite or was supposed to happen, it just seemed somewhat logical. While the effort was made in the early 90s, it was shot down as people like you voiced "concerns". You want to say that is playing the race card? Go right ahead. It is what it is.

By your constant use of the labels such "conspiracy theorist", "diversity [advocate]", "race card player" etc, I am pretty confident you are probably proud of that fact that Long Island is arguably the most segregated suburb in the US, and I assume you think that is a good thing (but pointing that out must be a 'conspiracy theory'). Fortunately most of the people from Massapequa I have come to know over the years don't share your apparent "anti-diversity" stance. So you my friend appear to be a relic from a time long gone.

Maybe you can learn a thing or two from Mr. Unger (another Massapequan) linked below, and take note to his reference to the districting referenced above:

"Or what about Massapequa’s most talked-about public uproar, when we considered incorporating that little sliver of East Massapequa into the Massapequa School District. No, sir... that didn’t get very far either. Once again, fear won the day."
Massapequa needs more diversity | www.massapequapost.com | Massapequa Post
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2010, 07:53 PM

8,816 posts, read 21,286,964 times
I'm not sure that Lloyd Harbor, Roslyn Harbor or Sagaponack have crummy sections. I have never seen any.

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Old 11-09-2010, 08:51 PM

3,172 posts, read 6,747,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fred5 View Post
You want to say that is playing the race card? Go right ahead. It is what it is.
Wah wah wah, I won't fall for your race-baiting game and I won't repeat myself because you seem to have a hard time grasping the concept of SD borders.

Your rant can apply to all the prosperous districts that aren't diverse enough for you (including Garden City, Merrick, Wantagh and almost the entire North Shore). To the objective reader of this thread, he/she has to notice who is the aggressor here and pushing for the breaking up of any town too white for your liking (that IS racism).
It's the equivalent of someone complaining that Wyandanch or Roosevelt are too black for their liking. I bet you feel that way too.

If you don't like Nassau County or the school district borders, then move. Pretty simple
Walter G. please put up a map of the Massapequa Union Free SD #23 to show the borders, thank you.

Old 11-09-2010, 09:26 PM

9,341 posts, read 29,693,899 times
Default A map of the Massapequa Union Free School District

Quote:
Walter G. please put up a map of the Massapequa Union Free SD #23 to show the borders, thank you.
Beginning on the north and moving in a clockwise direction, the Massapequa Union Free School District includes all or part of the Hamlet of North Massapequa, the Village of Massapequa Park, the Hamlet of East Massapequa and the Hamlet of Massapequa.

A map of the Massapequa Union Free School District:
Attached Thumbnails
Every town has a Crap Area/Great Area-massapequaufsd.gif  

Old 11-10-2010, 12:07 AM

2,845 posts, read 10,513,384 times
Quote:
LOL how did I know that you were going to revisit some of my earlier posts with another "brilliant" comment!? And who the heck is even saying Berner JH is a great school? It's just 20 feet away from those kids - that is all (one of the more extreme examples of districting on LI). But maybe if you would get your head out of your you know what, you would realize that in the 90s people like you made damn sure that there would be no redistricting in that area. School district boundaries can be changed - they are not set in stone and are not dependent on "how much you pay for a house". Yeah it doesn't happen a lot (especially on Long Island), but it is not impossible.

Back in the late 70s and 80s, when people started really moving into that area (which was still in a somewhat 'developmental' stage with a lot of people moving in from the city), there was a thinking that with the switch over from "W. Amityville" (Walter please it is not necessary here), the district would eventually be shifted as well. Not saying that it was something that was a definite or was supposed to happen, it just seemed somewhat logical. While the effort was made in the early 90s, it was shot down as people like you voiced "concerns". You want to say that is playing the race card? Go right ahead. It is what it is.

By your constant use of the labels such "conspiracy theorist", "diversity [advocate]", "race card player" etc, I am pretty confident you are probably proud of that fact that Long Island is arguably the most segregated suburb in the US, and I assume you think that is a good thing (but pointing that out must be a 'conspiracy theory'). Fortunately most of the people from Massapequa I have come to know over the years don't share your apparent "anti-diversity" stance. So you my friend appear to be a relic from a time long gone.

Maybe you can learn a thing or two from Mr. Unger (another Massapequan) linked below, and take note to his reference to the districting referenced above:

"Or what about Massapequa’s most talked-about public uproar, when we considered incorporating that little sliver of East Massapequa into the Massapequa School District. No, sir... that didn’t get very far either. Once again, fear won the day."
Sorry but this is totally bogus. "Massapequa needs more diversity" ? Give me a break. There is nothing stopping anyone of any color, race, creed, etc. from moving there. You and Mr. Unger's five year old letter cite some little known attempt to rezone homes in East Massapequa for Massapequa SD as proof that there is an invisible barrier keeping minorities out. Using that logic, someone could just as easily make an argument that the people living in that area are the "racists" since they apparently don't want their children going to school with a large number of minority students! Of course, neither are anywhere close to the truth....but don't let that stop you.

You claim that people started moving into this area during the 70s and 80s. Not true. Like much the rest of Nassau County, East Massapequa experienced it's only population explosion in the early 1950s. That historic period, during which Nassau gained over a million residents in less than a decade, was the only time in over a century that school district boundaries shifted from what they had been....and even then, the change was fairly minor and purely to accommodate the influx of new students - and that is the only reason they ever will be redrawn. Barring another baby boom on the scale of what we saw post-WWII however, we're never going to have that happen here again. In other words, if people were trying to get this redrawn in the 90s - it wasn't because East Massapequa was some rural frontier land a decade earlier and their school district was bursting at the seams. In fact, the opposite is closer to the truth....Massapequa SD is one of the most overcrowded districts on LI, which just goes to show you how selfish those people trying to get in really are. Funny how there was never a peep back in the 50s when there were even more students and Amityville SD was the more prestigious of the two...

If you bought a house in Amityville SD, you knew (or at least should have known) what the school district was when you signed the papers. Look at the map Walter posted....the dividing line follows the path of the Carmen River. It likely goes back well over a hundred years if not more than twice that. No boogey men, or KKK rally made the districts what they are - just a natural, geographic obstacle.

Old 11-10-2010, 12:34 AM

1,919 posts, read 5,770,772 times
Quote:

Like most of South Shore Nassau that area was mostly developed after WW2 and some small parts in the 60's.

Old 11-10-2010, 05:12 AM

3,686 posts, read 8,708,355 times
Quote:
Fortunately most of the people from Massapequa I have come to know over the years don't share your apparent "anti-diversity" stance. So you my friend appear to be a relic from a time long gone.
You mustn't get around Massapequa too much. One of the main reasons I purchased in this area was the lack of diversity. I like my ice cream plain and of one flavor...thank you very much.

For someone obviously advocating diversity why live on Long Island?

Old 11-10-2010, 11:32 AM

3,172 posts, read 6,747,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sean sean sean sean View Post
Sorry but this is totally bogus. "Massapequa needs more diversity" ? Give me a break. There is nothing stopping anyone of any color, race, creed, etc. from moving there. You and Mr. Unger's five year old letter cite some little known attempt to rezone homes in East Massapequa for Massapequa SD as proof that there is an invisible barrier keeping minorities out. Using that logic, someone could just as easily make an argument that the people living in that area are the "racists" since they apparently don't want their children going to school with a large number of minority students! Of course, neither are anywhere close to the truth....but don't let that stop you.

You claim that people started moving into this area during the 70s and 80s. Not true. Like much the rest of Nassau County, East Massapequa experienced it's only population explosion in the early 1950s. That historic period, during which Nassau gained over a million residents in less than a decade, was the only time in over a century that school district boundaries shifted from what they had been....and even then, the change was fairly minor and purely to accommodate the influx of new students - and that is the only reason they ever will be redrawn. Barring another baby boom on the scale of what we saw post-WWII however, we're never going to have that happen here again. In other words, if people were trying to get this redrawn in the 90s - it wasn't because East Massapequa was some rural frontier land a decade earlier and their school district was bursting at the seams. In fact, the opposite is closer to the truth....Massapequa SD is one of the most overcrowded districts on LI, which just goes to show you how selfish those people trying to get in really are. Funny how there was never a peep back in the 50s when there were even more students and Amityville SD was the more prestigious of the two...

If you bought a house in Amityville SD, you knew (or at least should have known) what the school district was when you signed the papers. Look at the map Walter posted....the dividing line follows the path of the Carmen River. It likely goes back well over a hundred years if not more than twice that. No boogey men, or KKK rally made the districts what they are - just a natural, geographic obstacle.
Just got back from the local KKK meet and doing lunch with the Gambino crew in Old Harbor Green...
Seriously though, reps to you for articulating this so well and providing some useful info/history.

Old 11-10-2010, 05:18 PM

2,845 posts, read 10,513,384 times
Quote:
Just got back from the local KKK meet and doing lunch with the Gambino crew in Old Harbor Green...
Seriously though, reps to you for articulating this so well and providing some useful info/history.
Oh dude, we should totally carpool....I've got the book-on-tape version of Birth Of a Nation on my iPod Mini. It's narrated by Asa Carter. The Grand Dragon told me I have a good shot at making Imperial Kleagle if I can clear three more cross burnings by the end of the month. I already farted on a yarmulke and punched a gypsy communist, so I'm off to a great start.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island