Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2010, 02:42 PM

11,632 posts, read 12,693,738 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPC View Post
Sacred Heart Academy. My son went to Chaminade and I always saw mention of Sacred Heart in his school newsletters. If I remember correctly, whenever Chaminade needs girls for the girl parts in school plays, they're recruited from Sacred Heart. Kellenberg is also run by Chaminade but as a previous poster stated, Kellenberg is co-ed.

As far as Chaminade being considered one of the better high schools, I would go so far as to say it's considered THE best all boys high school on Long Island and beyond. The school is so academically excellent that the boys don't have to take the NY state regents exams. I believe they're the only high school that are exempt from taking them. Chaminade submitted their final exams to the state and their finals were deemed harder than the regents exams so Chaminade was granted exemption. Chaminade doesn't mess around!
Students at Kellenberg also do not take NYS regents exams. Only if a private school wishes to be accredited by the board of regents do they have to administer regents exams. It is optional. Both Kellenberg and Charminade are accredited by other private school agencies that have more stringent academic requirements than the NYS board of regents.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2010, 04:21 PM

93,225 posts, read 123,819,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coney View Post
Students at Kellenberg also do not take NYS regents exams. Only if a private school wishes to be accredited by the board of regents do they have to administer regents exams. It is optional. Both Kellenberg and Charminade are accredited by other private school agencies that have more stringent academic requirements than the NYS board of regents.
Man...So, you know they have to be very good schools. What about schools like St. Mary, St. John the Baptist, Bishop McGann-Mercy, Holy Trinity and St. Dominic?

Old 01-30-2010, 12:10 AM

659 posts, read 2,516,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Man...So, you know they have to be very good schools. What about schools like St. Mary, St. John the Baptist, Bishop McGann-Mercy, Holy Trinity and St. Dominic?
They are good, but they are the next level down under Chaminade, Sacred Heart, and Kellenberg. (I'm not too familiar with Bishop McGann-Mercy or St. John the Baptist). St. Mary's and Holy Trinity are more catch-all schools providing education for people wanting a co-ed setting or couldn't make the other schools.

In my experience with my 8th grade graduating class, those that were deferred or wait-listed at Chaminade and Sacred Heart tended to go there with St. Mary's being the lowest reputation. I haven't heard any differently in recent years. I do know that Kellenberg's reputation has increased astronomically when the Marianist brothers took them over a few years back.

Old 01-30-2010, 01:00 AM
GPC

1,308 posts, read 3,411,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by llama8 View Post
They are good, but they are the next level down under Chaminade, Sacred Heart, and Kellenberg.
Agreed. I think these are clearly the top three high schools on Long Island.

Chaminade wanted to see my son's baptismal certificate before he was accepted. I assume Kellenberg would do the same since they're run by Chaminade. I don't know about Sacred Heart. I could be wrong but I don't think all of the other Catholic high schools on Long Island make that a condition of acceptance.

We live close to Chaminade and whenever we pass by I joke that we should all bless ourselves, bow, and salute!!! All hail Chaminade!

Old 01-30-2010, 05:49 AM

3,180 posts, read 10,539,555 times
Its true, You must be a Roman Catholic to be ammitted to Chaminade. It was not always the case but I has been for a while now. As it gets more competitive to get in, the more restrictive it gets.

Old 01-30-2010, 07:22 AM

659 posts, read 2,516,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kbinspections View Post
Its true, You must be a Roman Catholic to be ammitted to Chaminade. It was not always the case but I has been for a while now. As it gets more competitive to get in, the more restrictive it gets.

You can also be Greek Orthodox as well. That's pretty much it.

Old 01-31-2010, 10:32 AM

8,814 posts, read 21,273,545 times
I attended Sacred Heart in Sag Harbor long before most people on this forum were even born. It was a true convent (boarding) school like the ones in the old Hayley Mills movies . It's the Sag Harbor Elementary School now.

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Old 02-01-2010, 09:20 AM

4,697 posts, read 8,756,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kbinspections View Post
Interesting. One would think that narrowing down the field of applicants to roman catholics, while making it more restrictive, would/could result in a lower standard overall compared to a school that accepts people of different faiths.

Old 02-01-2010, 09:30 AM

4,697 posts, read 8,756,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coney View Post
from their own web site:

General Information (http://www.kellenberg.org/informat.html - broken link)

Kellenberg Memorial High School is registered by the Board of Regents of the University of the State of New York and accredited by the Middle States Association of Colleges and Schools

is this different than what you're referring to?

Old 02-01-2010, 10:29 AM

964 posts, read 2,462,073 times
I know families who send their kids to Garden City schools and others that send them to Chaminade.

I think Chaminade is on par with GC and the other top public school districts on LI. GC, Roslyn, Manhasset, and Jericho probably send their kids on average to more elite colleges. (Chaminade tends to send kids to the big time Catholic universities.) However, the key differences are obviously a Catholic education, huge funding, and an incredibily loyal and well connected alumni network at Chaminade. It's like a big family.

To me, there is real value in an alumni network which is that closely knit. It's very powerful come job hunting time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island