Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-20-2010, 12:25 PM

1,695 posts, read 3,043,336 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter Greenspan View Post

Many, if not most teachers, earn extra money during their various winter, spring and summer breaks, in addition to tutoring income, and could well afford to buy a home that is 3X their annual income (their reported income is generally less than their annual income).

Because teacher education is not the same as those who have advanced degrees in real subjects.

Or, for that matter, where is it written that any person that performs a job should be able to live in the area where they work?

Bull.
You've insulted and belittled teachers plenty in your posts (e.g. most come from the bottom third of their HS class, teaching degrees are not "real subjects", etc.). But now you are implying that teachers are Criminals? They do not report their entire income? That's called Tax Fraud! And if their reported income is less than their real income, it won't count towards qualifying for a mortgage. But it will count towards a possible criminal record.

No mortgage company is going to approve a mortgage for a house that is 3X reported income these days. 5 years ago they would - not now.

What LONG winter or spring vacation does a public school teacher get? The week between Xmas & New Year's? So what decent paying job can someone get for that one week? WHo the heck is going to hire someone for a week?
Ditto the WEEK of the Easter break, or Winter break?

And if they can't live in the area where they work, just where are they supposed to live?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2010, 12:29 PM

9,341 posts, read 29,672,241 times
Yeah, all teachers report their tutoring income?

Old 06-20-2010, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Yeah, all teachers report their tutoring income?
The ones for whom I prepare tax returns do.
Anyone who follows the law does.

So you are painting a picture of ALL teachers as crooks because there may be a few who do not report every dollar they make?

And please answer this: If they do not report the income, how can they use that income to qualify for a mortgage?

And another question: What % of teachers get Private tutoring jobs? Most who tutor do so for various learning centers, or tutoring companies & get W-2's. And even that is a very small % of teachers.

Remember further that the # I was using for a teacher's income, $150,000, is near the top of the scale. Average is more like $100,000, which makes it even more difficult to afford a house NEAR where the teacher teaches.

But with your condescending attitude towards teachers, you will maintain your deep-seated belief that teachers are not "worthy" of what other professionals earn. They're just not very smart. You have a right to that opinion - I just hope that you do not pass on to your children that their teachers are not as bright as others in the population; that their teachers weren't educated in "real subjects"; that their teachers were from the bottom of their HS class.

Old 06-20-2010, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coachgns View Post
... that their teachers weren't educated in "real subjects"; that their teachers were from the bottom of their HS class.
That's exactly what the research shows in "The Conspiracy of Ignorance: The Failure of American Public Schools" by Martin Gross.

Old 06-20-2010, 01:18 PM

I don't know if such a statistic is kept, but I doubt that even as many as 1% of LI teachers come from the bottom third of their HS class. We ARE talking LI here.

You have not answered my questions about how that Unreported Income that you seem to think so many teachers have is to be used to get approval for a mortgage?

You further have not answered my question about what % of teachers obtain private, cash-only tutoring jobs without reporting the income that you attribute to teachers generally.

Old 06-20-2010, 01:23 PM

1,963 posts, read 4,243,983 times
Quote:
I don't know if such a statistic is kept, but I doubt that even as many as 1% of LI teachers come from the bottom third of their HS class. We ARE talking LI here.

You have not answered my questions about how that Unreported Income that you seem to think so many teachers have is to be used to get approval for a mortgage?

You further have not answered my question about what % of teachers obtain private, cash-only tutoring jobs without reporting the income that you attribute to teachers generally.
I know 5 teachers that do some tutoring and not one of them claim that income, it is all cash, I know because I have asked them. A small sample fo-show but it is 100% of the people that I know that teach and dont report it. I would bet that most that do a small amount of tutoring don't report it.

How much money are we talking about that it will have a huge impact on what mortgage they get approved for?

Old 06-20-2010, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetties View Post
I know 5 teachers that do some tutoring and not one of them claim that income, it is all cash, I know because I have asked them. A small sample fo-show but it is 100% of the people that I know that teach and dont report it. I would bet that most that do a small amount of tutoring don't report it.

How much money are we talking about that it will have a huge impact on what mortgage they get approved for?
Not much - and that's my point.
Walter Greenspan indicated that they could afford houses higher than their reported income would support because of the Unreported tutoring income.

The teachers you know who are not reporting income are taking a risk. One of the clients can "blow the whistle" on them at any time. But the amounts are probably quite minimal.

The ones I know who tutor work for places like Huntington Learning Center or Tutor Time where they are given W-2's and their income is reported to IRS. Another does private tutoring, and is paid by an attorney who is a Guardian for some kids with learning problems. This money comes from either the State, or a Court's escrow funds, and that likewise is reported.

Old 06-20-2010, 02:48 PM

1,963 posts, read 4,243,983 times
Quote:
Not much - and that's my point.
Walter Greenspan indicated that they could afford houses higher than their reported income would support because of the Unreported tutoring income.

The teachers you know who are not reporting income are taking a risk. One of the clients can "blow the whistle" on them at any time. But the amounts are probably quite minimal.

The ones I know who tutor work for places like Huntington Learning Center or Tutor Time where they are given W-2's and their income is reported to IRS. Another does private tutoring, and is paid by an attorney who is a Guardian for some kids with learning problems. This money comes from either the State, or a Court's escrow funds, and that likewise is reported.

Anyone that doesnt report income is taking a risk, but in small amounts I doubt it is much of one. I know people in all walks of life that are not reporting things. I have helped out friends for some cash over the years working for their businesses here and there. The underground economy is huge.

Old 06-20-2010, 04:18 PM

Quote:
My recollection is that this information is available from the admissions office at the various teachers' colleges.

Quote:
Not used to get approval but used to help pay for the mortgage, etc., after the house is bought, thereby enabling the teacher to be able to afford a more expensive home.

Quote:
I'm familiar with many who do, and these teachers only do cash-only private tutoring.

Old 06-20-2010, 05:27 PM

852 posts, read 2,016,890 times
Default Oh! Well, then!

Quote:
That's exactly what the research shows in "The Conspiracy of Ignorance: The Failure of American Public Schools" by Martin Gross.
The solution, clearly, is to reduce pay! That will attract the top mathematicians and scientists.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island