Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-23-2010, 10:30 AM

16 posts, read 35,762 times

Advertisements

So I posted a thread a while back asking about commute times to Westwood. I never really received an answer about the commute time from Woodland Hills to Westwood. The work hours would be around 7:00am to 5:00pm.

A lot of people recomend we look in Culver City instead but, it doesn't seem to be the right place for us. Westwood & Santa Monica seem nice but don't have the amenities we are looking for in our price range. We really like Woodland Hills because we can get a lot more for our budget plus it is more family friendly. We are just scared the commute will be too bad. Basically no more than an hour each way is what we are looking for. Is this within an hour commute on most days?

Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2010, 10:41 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,743,760 times
I'd say so, if you can leave at 6AM you'd probably get there before 7AM on most days.

In the PM, If you get on the 405 at Sunset (under construction so it is getting really bad) or Wilshire or Santa Monica, then it will be bad north to the top of the pass and it gets better the rest of the way. Probably an hour home, maybe a little worse on Fridays. Alternative is to take PCH to Topanga.

Old 08-23-2010, 10:53 AM

16 posts, read 35,762 times
Thanks for the quick reply. At this point we are just so exhausted trying to find a place to live we are ready to settle for Woodland Hills no matter what the commute is. We figure we will sign a year lease and if it's too hard we will look for something closer after the year is up. By then we will know the areas a lot better. We are planning the move in October but we don't really have much time to spend in California before then so we are doing as much research as we can now.

Old 08-23-2010, 11:03 AM

7,226 posts, read 22,191,740 times
the commute in won't be too bad, 7am is an early start, but the drive home won't be fun. i'd say 30 minutes to work and around an hour or so on the way home. this is actually a very popular commute and you'll probably have many neighbors that also go from the west valley to the westside.

Old 08-23-2010, 11:16 AM

12,974 posts, read 33,951,122 times
Everyone is pretty much dead on correct with your commute times. Leave at 6:00 am in the morning and you'll be at work by 7:00. Your commute coming home will be 1 hour to 1 hour and 15-20 minutes.

Old 08-23-2010, 12:36 PM

787 posts, read 1,942,469 times
I USED to make the commute from Woodland Hills to Century City (approx. 2 years ago).

I usually left HOME around 7:30am to 7:45am and it would take about 60 minutes door to door. Some days it would take 75 minutes or 90 minutes on really bad days.

I usually left the office around 6:00 to 6:30pm and it was usually a LITTLE better going home. It would take about 45 minutes to 55 minutes to get home. Yes, it was LIGHTER on the way home....given I was leaving the office at 6pm to 6:30pm.

Good luck.

I wouldn't wish that commute on my worse enemies....but if you really like Woodland Hills than it is really not that crazy of a commute by LA standards.

I used to work in Beverly Hills and two co-workers drove in from Thousand Oaks. I think that is INSANE. Only one of them had kids. The other one was a 40 something guy with no kids (and he was the CFO so he made over 200k a year). He just really liked T.O. To each their own.

Old 08-23-2010, 08:37 PM

1,465 posts, read 5,146,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Californiabound01 View Post
Thanks for the quick reply. At this point we are just so exhausted trying to find a place to live we are ready to settle for Woodland Hills no matter what the commute is. We figure we will sign a year lease and if it's too hard we will look for something closer after the year is up. By then we will know the areas a lot better. We are planning the move in October but we don't really have much time to spend in California before then so we are doing as much research as we can now.
I don't think that is a bad idea. You can experiment with different routes. I know people in the mid and east valley that take a canyon road over. Or you you can look at their vanpool service. I see them all over the place Ridesharing (1001184)

Old 08-24-2010, 01:17 AM

17,815 posts, read 25,630,189 times
I wouldn't do it. I think the 405 is the worst freeway in LA, once you're stuck, you're stuck. At least on that section of the 405.

I did it for awhile from UCLA to the valley. You have that long stretch where there are no exits for 5 miles, and taking Sepulveda is no better.

That was back in the day when I was still renting, I remember getting on the 405 at around 7:30am and it was already a crawl. I did it for a few months and moved to the west side.

Mileage wise it isn't that far but the 405 is a parking lot. And I was in Van Nuys at the time.

As SoCaL 35 said to each his own, but if you're not buying I would really look elsewhere.

Old 08-28-2010, 02:41 PM

4,490 posts, read 3,927,901 times
Welcome to Woodland Hills! I have lived here a long time and I know you will love it. The wonderful thing about Woodland Hills is the option of "the back way". Before I leave, I check KABC Traffic on the internet. If it shows that the Ventura & 405 freeways are slow, I just shoot down Topanga to Pacific Coast Highway (20 mins), then make a left and go to Chautauqua/Channel (10 mins), Channel to San Vicente (2 mins), make a left and enjoy watching the joggers on traffic-free San Vicente all the way to Wilshire (10 mins), make a left at Wishire and in a few minutes you're in Westwood. It's more reliable timewise than the freeway when it's crowded and you have a canyon/ocean/greenbelt view to enjoy.

Mike

Old 09-01-2010, 01:11 PM

22 posts, read 108,260 times
I work for UCLA. I have friends and colleagues who have done the Woodland Hills/Westwood commute. They say the commute in the early morning takes about 60 minutes; the return commute varies from 60 to 90 minutes, depending on what is happening in the Sepulveda Pass. Things free up after Balboa Blvd on the 101 freeway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles