Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-17-2014, 11:19 AM

1,824 posts, read 1,667,815 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Karl View Post
it'll never happen, los angeles will always be one giant sprawling suburb. it's in the culture of the people.

for example, most people migrated to los angeles from the south/midwest, while san francisco attracted people from the northeast. that's a big part of the reason why sf is much more of a "real" city than los angeles.

take the average angelino and tell him to move into a 250sqft apartment and give up his car. good luck with that. la is home to obnoxious mc mansions, car culture, cul-de-sacs, etc., it always will be.

there are thousands of cities all of the planet which are far more productive, have higher quality of life, are high density environments, etc. there's nothing particularly special about the land in southern california, people who honestly desire that type of lifestyle simply live elsewhere.

i mean seriously, advocating the "manhattanization" of los angeles? that's going to take what? 50-100 years to complete?

just pack up your bags and head over to a real city, give it a rest already. this extremely vocal minority is ridiculous.
Los Angeles and San Francisco is like pretty much on the same level as being a "real" city.

You're sure thats the migration patterns for the two?

You seem to be wrong here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2014, 12:00 PM

1,616 posts, read 2,489,654 times
Manhattan needs to be Martinized.

Old 09-17-2014, 01:13 PM

4,156 posts, read 5,560,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MordinSolus View Post
I can't tell if you're a troll or just dumb.
The guy can't even cut and paste a link properly, so it's definitely some of the latter.

Old 09-17-2014, 01:26 PM

81 posts, read 154,647 times
Why is DT Santa Monica so popular?
Hollywood/Highland?
Abbot Kinney?
The Grove?
The DT artwalk?

Because density. LA needs more of it.
(But not to the point of being an overcrowded human cess pool like NYC)

Old 09-17-2014, 01:35 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,449,955 times
It seems only now the city politicians are realizing this ,

Yes areas like the valley were the suburbs , decades ago .

Anybody that has been recently knows them days is gone

There is a demand for density housing and retail especially near transit and highways and we should be building as much as possible where it makes sense and there is a true demand .

The warner center area in woodland hills has thousands of units planned , there is demand but of course the single family home owners are fighting it tooth and nail .

There is a big fear of "apartments " ..and many don't realize that plenty of wealthy or high income people actually live in apartments .

Many people in La spend more to rent apartments than a lot of people are paying on their mortgages .

My mortgage is less than what I see even small apartments renting for and I've only owned since 2010 ...so you can imagine the people that bought like in the early 2000s or before .

Old 09-17-2014, 01:44 PM

10,078 posts, read 15,851,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pugsnotdrugsmang View Post
Why is DT Santa Monica so popular?
Hollywood/Highland?
Abbot Kinney?
The Grove?
The DT artwalk?

Because density. LA needs more of it.
(But not to the point of being an overcrowded human cess pool like NYC)
LA doesn't need more density per se, it needs better transit to get to-and-from these nodes and it also needs to improve the pedestrian experience of the areas between these walkable nodes. East Hollywood, north and south K-Town, south Echo Park / Historic Filipinotown, south Hollywood - these areas are all very dense (by US standards) yet are not very pleasant to walk through.

Old 09-17-2014, 02:03 PM

30,902 posts, read 32,992,865 times
^ Actually...I agree with munch. Better transit.

Old 09-17-2014, 02:04 PM

Yeah and sadly these are the areas where a lot of people walk because they don't have cars

Old 09-17-2014, 02:12 PM

30,902 posts, read 32,992,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
Yeah and sadly these are the areas where a lot of people walk because they don't have cars
I disagree with the walking part, is walking bad, if it's a reasonable distance?

In fact, if we're talking about Manhattanizing an area, well, hell, EVERYBODY in Manhattan walks (and definitely, many people don't own cars - just for the prohibitive cost of parking it in a garage to ensure a space alone). I mean have you ever walked Manhattan, particularly as you get closer in toward Times Square? You will cross the street with anywhere from 5 to 20-ish people at any given time, with another group right behind you trying to make the light and then another group behind them. It's like looking at a street crossing in Tokyo.

Old 09-17-2014, 02:16 PM

I didn't mean walking is bad ... But I meant that since a lot of people walk in those areas it would be nice if it were more pleasant as munchitup suggested .

I'm definitely not anti walking and enjoy it myself .

Actually one of the main reasons I enjoyed living in west la/ ranch park and Hollywood was because it was walkable .

And yes I have walked manhattan , actually on the last trip there couple years ago , I only used public transit or walked ..no taxis at all ..

We even walked in the Bronx from the bronx zoo to Arthur avenue ...not too many tourists walking around there lol

It's definitely not like Times Square
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles