Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-15-2014, 02:20 AM

84 posts, read 110,283 times

Advertisements

One could take the entirety of Manhattan & plop it down in L.A. between Downtown & Santa Monica & there would still be hundreds of square miles of stupid generic ugly SFHs to choose from. One could still drive their convertible down Sunset Blvd. The beaches would still be there. But now, there would be like a million MORE things to do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2014, 06:05 AM

30,902 posts, read 33,003,025 times
It's all been said already. But from someone who misses the northeast terribly - it's silly to wish L.A. were Manhattan. All places should NOT be alike. What a boring world that would be.

Miss NYC all you like, you're within your rights and nobody should put you down for that...BUT...L.A. is L.A. It is not Manhattan and never will be...and it shouldn't be. It should be its own place..and it is.

Old 09-15-2014, 11:26 AM

1,824 posts, read 1,668,500 times
the only area and place in Los Angeles that has a shot or the easiest to try to make into something like manhattan is Downtown, Wilshire and Century City.

Old 09-15-2014, 11:38 AM

401 posts, read 767,712 times
Yes, yes.. let's Manhattanize. Given that we already don't have enough water for the folks that live here, let's cram a ton more people into town, and legislate twice a week showering and flushing every other poop.

Old 09-15-2014, 12:06 PM

3,550 posts, read 6,490,393 times
What's next? Costumed characters in Times Square a'la Hollywood boulevard?? Oh wait, that's already happening

Old 09-15-2014, 12:28 PM

9,807 posts, read 11,142,657 times
San Diego is building it's first de-sal plant in Carlsbad. OC is working on getting Dana Point and Huntington Beach as de-sal locations. LA is also readying a lot of de-sal plants for those countless tall buildings, right? Right?

Are these tall residential buildings all going to be "affordable"?

Old 09-15-2014, 04:59 PM

4,451 posts, read 6,800,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvSouthOC View Post
Are these tall residential buildings all going to be "affordable"?
Of course not, they will be "manhantanized" prices

Old 09-15-2014, 05:38 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,458,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
It's all been said already. But from someone who misses the northeast terribly - it's silly to wish L.A. were Manhattan. All places should NOT be alike. What a boring world that would be.

Miss NYC all you like, you're within your rights and nobody should put you down for that...BUT...L.A. is L.A. It is not Manhattan and never will be...and it shouldn't be. It should be its own place..and it is.
Yeah I agree. I haven't lived in NYC , just visited...but I think that L.A actually feels like it has more variety, diversity versus NYC. Some parts are very dense like Koreatown, but then theres places with a lot of spread out homes. There are super clean neighborhoods...and then there's true urban decay/grit too.

The architecture varies a lot...despite what people think it's not just bland strip mall after strip mall.

Of course talking about L.A I'm including places like Pasadena which have amazing architecture too.

I think it would be kind of boring looking if it were just skyscraper after skyscraper..I mean I can see the appeal in an area like Manhattan...everything is super convenient..dont need a car etc

But I agree that places should be different. It's a free country too and if you like Manhattan and can afford it people should move there.

That being said , I'm sure we will be seeing more density in areas that didn't have it before.

Take a look at this article about Warner Center (woodland hills area in the valley). There were actually plans to make it dense in the 70s but residents complained.
L.A. revives a denser vision for Woodland Hills' Warner Center - LA Times

The city has lifted height restrictions etc...people are (FINALLY) catching on that there is a DEMAND for density in a CITY like L.A *the shock*! .........

"Officials are betting that the kind of dense, walkable communities thriving in downtown, Hollywood and other parts of Los Angeles can work 26 miles from the city center.

"Why is it important to build here? So people don't have to be in traffic for a half-hour, 45 minutes to go someplace else," Mayor Eric Garcetti said on a recent tour of the area. "That's bad for them, but it's bad for the rest of us too."

Speaking of prices...it will be interesting to see what the prices are like at the new units in the Warner Center area whenever they are built... The area already isn't cheap necessarily so i'm sure they won't be 'affordable' either ..

Old 09-16-2014, 03:44 PM

4,212 posts, read 3,297,443 times
Did anyone see the film "Her"? It shows a future Los Angeles jammed with skyscrapers.

Don't forget that in the "Red Car" days, Los Angeles had %25 more rail/track than NYC has TODAY. I'm pretty sure everyone knew what NY/Manhattan would become from the time it was settled, Los Angeles had to be conceived and built with feats of civil engineering not seen since Roman times, going from basically a settlement on the edge of a desert to the site of the summer Olympics in 50 years.

Thats why New York doesn't really impress me but Los Angeles does.

Old 09-16-2014, 06:53 PM

4,156 posts, read 5,563,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Karl View Post
it'll never happen, los angeles will always be one giant sprawling suburb. it's in the culture of the people.

for example, most people migrated to los angeles from the south/midwest, while san francisco attracted people from the northeast. that's a big part of the reason why sf is much more of a "real" city than los angeles.

take the average angelino and tell him to move into a 250sqft apartment and give up his car. good luck with that. la is home to obnoxious mc mansions, car culture, cul-de-sacs, etc., it always will be.
This response is more asinine than the premise. I didn't think it was possible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles