Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2013, 05:27 PM

1,242 posts, read 1,947,437 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PA Born View Post
Yes, this is correct. A 19th century rowhouse is much more urban than some 50's era garden apartment complex.

Urbanity isn't only about density. You can have dense suburban environment, which is 80%-90% of the LA Metro. Stuffing tons of people into suburban-style apartment complexes will create high density, but not urbanity.

And it had little to do with dediacated parking. It's creating a totally autocentric environment. Places like the SFV are quite dense, but you would have to be crazy to consider that a solid urban environment. It's mostly the same strip malls and garden apartment complexes as anywhere else, except you have more people per unit because of immigration and higher housing costs.
ur·ban(ûrbn)
adj. 1. Of, relating to, or located in a city.
2. Characteristic of the city or city life.

You know, I read that definition and nowhere in it did it mention anything about apartments... whatever, it's JUST a dictionary right?

Last I checked, and bare with me here, Los Angeles is, relates too and functions like.....yup, you guessed it, A CITY. And believe it or not, Angelenos live what is considered a "city life" Huh, now that's odd. Urban doesn't mean ONE thing for NYC, Chicago, Philadelphia and San Francisco and a COMPLETELY DIFFERENT thing for Los Angeles. I'm no rocket surgeon but I'm pretty sure that's not how the English language works.

Let me guess: You're gonna tell me that the source of my definition posted isn't credible?

Old 01-15-2013, 06:06 PM

1,045 posts, read 1,635,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MB8abovetherim View Post
ur·ban(ûrbn)
adj. 1. Of, relating to, or located in a city.
2. Characteristic of the city or city life.

You know, I read that definition and nowhere in it did it mention anything about apartments... whatever, it's JUST a dictionary right?

Last I checked, and bare with me here, Los Angeles is, relates too and functions like.....yup, you guessed it, A CITY. And believe it or not, Angelenos live what is considered a "city life" Huh, now that's odd. Urban doesn't mean ONE thing for NYC, Chicago, Philadelphia and San Francisco and a COMPLETELY DIFFERENT thing for Los Angeles. I'm no rocket surgeon but I'm pretty sure that's not how the English language works.

Let me guess: You're gonna tell me that the source of my definition posted isn't credible?
I literally was going to do this on another thread until it got closed. Totally agree with this. City is a city period. There's more people in some cities but you know what a rural area is and you know what a city is. LA is not rural, there's no in between.

Old 01-15-2013, 06:18 PM

10,681 posts, read 6,114,378 times
Tell me this doesnt feel big city to you..

Nevermind the lame music:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IqjDiv2D8N4

Edit:
what line is that anyway?

Old 01-15-2013, 06:19 PM

696 posts, read 1,170,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PA Born View Post
Yes, this is correct. A 19th century rowhouse is much more urban than some 50's era garden apartment complex.

Urbanity isn't only about density. You can have dense suburban environment, which is 80%-90% of the LA Metro. Stuffing tons of people into suburban-style apartment complexes will create high density, but not urbanity.

And it had little to do with dediacated parking. It's creating a totally autocentric environment. Places like the SFV are quite dense, but you would have to be crazy to consider that a solid urban environment. It's mostly the same strip malls and garden apartment complexes as anywhere else, except you have more people per unit because of immigration and higher housing costs.
You got that right ! People for some reason on this forum, especially the people of Los Angeles, tend to believe that just because an area is densely populated it equals to URBAN. People are so confused here I think it is too funny. I brought this up in another thread, Los Angeles is DENSE sprawl, but not dense URBAN. Do people see the difference now ? One is about WALKABILITY and the other is about DRIVING A CAR. I wonder which one sounds more like Los Angeles ?? Hmmmm ... Probably the one with the car right? Right

The reality is, Los Angeles is nothing more than a bunch of suburbs piled on top of each other that people usually refer to as "LA" when realistically when they are talking about "LA" they are talking more about the entire METRO than the actual CITY! Isn't that funny ? It's even more funny, when a location other than the cities main downtown is more densely populated than the downtown itself (koreatown / westlake ), I personally think it is a joke for any area in any city to be more densely populated than the downtown. People think that just because they live outside the 2nd most populous "city" in the nation, that automatically they are in an urban environment just because it is densely populated sprawl, but reality is, they are really just living in a densely populated SUBURB, where a vehicle is required, and not a densely populated CITY/Urban core.

Old 01-15-2013, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by taydigga View Post
There's more people in some cities but you know what a rural area is and you know what a city is. LA is not rural, there's no in between.
Uh.. Yeah there is an inbetween a city and a rural town, it's called a suburb, and that's exactly what LA is, a giant collection of them.

Old 01-15-2013, 06:27 PM
PDF PDF started this thread

11,395 posts, read 13,416,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicano3000X View Post
Tell me this doesnt feel big city to you..

Nevermind the lame music:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IqjDiv2D8N4

Edit:
what line is that anyway?
Beautiful video. That's Metrolink, says it in the heading. That kind of reminds me of taking the Expo line in downtown LA.

Old 01-15-2013, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cityKing View Post
Uh.. Yeah there is an inbetween a city and a rural town, it's called a suburb, and that's exactly what LA is, a giant collection of them.
Have you ever really been to L.A.? And if you have.. Have you ever REALLY been to L.A.?

Old 01-15-2013, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicano3000X View Post
Have you ever really been to L.A.? And if you have.. Have you ever REALLY been to L.A.?

Are you in denial .? And if you are.. Are you REALLY in denial.?

Old 01-15-2013, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Are you in denial .? And if you are.. Are you REALLY in denial.?
I annoy this forum with my criticisms of L.A.

But being around it, I can assure you that the suburban feel you talk about really only starts when you start entering the valley or more of the outer areas of L.A.

I been to a real suburb before, after moving from Chicago to something that looked similar to this:

Old 01-15-2013, 06:55 PM

10,078 posts, read 15,856,342 times
Quote:
You got that right ! People for some reason on this forum, especially the people of Los Angeles, tend to believe that just because an area is densely populated it equals to URBAN. People are so confused here I think it is too funny. I brought this up in another thread, Los Angeles is DENSE sprawl, but not dense URBAN. Do people see the difference now ? One is about WALKABILITY and the other is about DRIVING A CAR. I wonder which one sounds more like Los Angeles ?? Hmmmm ... Probably the one with the car right? Right

The reality is, Los Angeles is nothing more than a bunch of suburbs piled on top of each other that people usually refer to as "LA" when realistically when they are talking about "LA" they are talking more about the entire METRO than the actual CITY! Isn't that funny ? It's even more funny, when a location other than the cities main downtown is more densely populated than the downtown itself (koreatown / westlake ), I personally think it is a joke for any area in any city to be more densely populated than the downtown. People think that just because they live outside the 2nd most populous "city" in the nation, that automatically they are in an urban environment just because it is densely populated sprawl, but reality is, they are really just living in a densely populated SUBURB, where a vehicle is required, and not a densely populated CITY/Urban core.
You might want to check, but I believe Los Angeles has a higher transit share than Miami. Which is pretty bad considering Los Angeles is way larger and contains a bunch of its own suburbs, unlike Miami (which still manages to be pretty suburban in those city limits).

As far as it being embarrassing that DTLA is not the densest neighborhood in Los Angeles, you might want to direct your attention to New York City, Chicago, Boston, Philadelphia, DC - all cities where the densest neighborhood is outside of downtown. Hate to break it to you but Miami is also one of those cities - Little Havana is much denser than downtown Miami. It is a little bit funny someone from Miami is so critical of Los Angeles and how urban it is, considering a lot of Miami (and the most walkable parts) look like a toned-down version of Central Los Angeles.

In Los Angeles County 17 percent of all trips (work commute, night out, running to the store, etc) are done on foot. Not sure if you are aware of the population of LA County but that is a hell of a lot of walking for a collection of suburbs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles