Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2013, 06:57 PM

696 posts, read 1,171,052 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicano3000X View Post
I annoy this forum with my criticisms of L.A.

But being around it, I can assure you that the suburban feel you talk about really only starts when you start entering the valley or more of the outer areas of L.A.

I been to a real suburb before, after moving from Chicago to something that looked similar to this:
Well we are just glad you know what a "suburb " is , now apply that same thinking to LA .

Here's some homework for you. Go back and look at a map of LA again, and you or anybody with half a brain will CLEARLY see LA consists of a vast majority of suburbs compiled together into one particular region. It doesn't take a genius to figure it out, in fact it is common sense.

If you still need some help here you go :

1. You need a car to get around
2. The metro is the "main highlight" of the the "city"
3. It downtown is dead and nobody seems to care about it
3. The vast majority of people are living in Single family Homes, OR suburban styled apartments

That's exactly what you call a SUBURBAN city, a SUBURBAN city, is a city that most people drive cars, and live in single family homes, an URBAN city, a lot of people are walking and living in the core of the city(ex a Condo downtown) do you see the difference now? Did I explain it to ina way that makes sense to a 2nd grader? Is it clear now why Los Angeles is more of a suburban city, than a true urban center?

Old 01-15-2013, 07:05 PM

4,156 posts, read 5,565,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cityKing View Post
The reality is, Los Angeles is nothing more than a bunch of suburbs piled on top of each other that people usually refer to as "LA" when realistically when they are talking about "LA" they are talking more about the entire METRO than the actual CITY! Isn't that funny ?
Funny, no. Just sad.

Definition of SUBURB

a : an outlying part of a city or town
b : a smaller community adjacent to or within commuting distance of a city
c plural : the residential area on the outskirts of a city or large town
Suburb - Definition and More from the Free Merriam-Webster Dictionary

So, where exactly is that large city “adjacent to within commuting distance “ of this supposed collection of suburbs?

It’s apparent words aren’t your thing.

Old 01-15-2013, 07:10 PM

10,681 posts, read 6,118,686 times
Quote:
Well we are just glad you know what a "suburb " is , now apply that same thinking to LA .

Here's some homework for you. Go back and look at a map of LA again, and you or anybody with half a brain will CLEARLY see LA consists of a vast majority of suburbs compiled together into one particular region. It doesn't take a genius to figure it out, in fact it is common sense.

If you still need some help here you go :

1. You need a car to get around
2. The metro is the "main highlight" of the the "city"
3. It downtown is dead and nobody seems to care about it
3. The vast majority of people are living in Single family Homes, OR suburban styled apartments

That's exactly what you call a SUBURBAN city, a SUBURBAN city, is a city that most people drive cars, and live in single family homes, an URBAN city, a lot of people are walking and living in the core of the city(ex a Condo downtown) do you see the difference now? Did I explain it to ina way that makes sense to a 2nd grader? Is it clear now why Los Angeles is more of a suburban city, than a true urban center?

Idk, lets see.
I've been using public transit for a while. I take he 780 to pcc, and to holywood, the subway to downtown, and walk to different spots. Now the subway and bus, I could not find a seat cuz they were crowded. Then as for downtown, I have been going there. Dead is not a word I would use to describe. People walking their dogs, open businesses, not to mention ordinary stores are open there. Ordinary people walking around who live there and also talked to a couple of women there(some real fine ones too), they loved living in downtown. Middle class, nice clothes, just on a stroll brought spring street.

Tell me again how downtown is dead..

Old 01-15-2013, 07:11 PM

10,078 posts, read 15,863,499 times
Take a look at the charts on the links:

Transit Mode Share Trends Looking Steady; Rail Appears to Encourage Non-Automobile Commutes « The Transport Politic

The metro area of Los Angeles comes in at 8th best in the nation for least people driving alone to work.

The city itself comes in at 10th best in the nation for non-auto share (transit + walking + cycling), though it is 7 percentage points behind Portland at 9th so needs to gain a lot to improve.

The Miami metro comes in at 18th, far below the LA metro.

Old 01-15-2013, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by munchitup View Post
Hate to break it to you but Miami is also one of those cities - Little Havana is much denser than downtown Miami. It is a little bit funny someone from Miami is so critical of Los Angeles and how urban it is, considering a lot of Miami (and the most walkable parts) look like a toned-down version of Central Los Angeles.
Last time I checked Little Havana (Density 21,815/sq miles) is not as densely populated as downtown Miami ( Density 27,487/sq mile)

Little Havana - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Downtown Miami - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I can't take any of what you say as credible until you get your facts straight.

And just to remind you LA's downtown is a density of 8,580/sq mi. meanwhile Koreatown = 42,609/sq mi

That is really kind of scary, the 2nd largest "city" in America it's OWN downtown urban center is not it's own most populated region..

Old 01-15-2013, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Last time I checked Little Havana (Density 21,815/sq miles) is not as densely populated as downtown Miami ( Density 27,487/sq mile)

Little Havana - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Downtown Miami - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I can't take any of what you say as credible until you get your facts straight.

And just to remind you LA's downtown is a density of 8,580/sq mi. meanwhile Koreatown = 42,609/sq mi

That is really kind of scary, the 2nd largest "city" in America it's OWN downtown urban center is not it's own most populated region..
Ah I didn't see that one stretch of high-density census tracts to the south. I wasn't going off of Wikipedia: http://www.thetransportpolitic.com/2...bile-commutes/

The point is still valid that almost every big city has higher density neighborhoods outside the downtown. BTW the Historic Core in DTLA is pretty dense, in the 30k range and growing.

Old 01-15-2013, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nslander View Post
Funny, no. Just sad.

Definition of SUBURB

a : an outlying part of a city or town
b : a smaller community adjacent to or within commuting distance of a city
c plural : the residential area on the outskirts of a city or large town
Suburb - Definition and More from the Free Merriam-Webster Dictionary

So, where exactly is that large city “adjacent to within commuting distance “ of this supposed collection of suburbs?

It’s apparent words aren’t your thing.
Here is some education for you

Urban = downtown = walkability, no vehicle necessary = people living in a central gathering where everything is at your fingertips.

suburban is the neighborhoods just outside of downtown = meaning you have to use a CAR in order to get around, meaning more than likely you live in a single family home and drive around everywhere

Rural = a small town not located anywhere near the "city".

People care more in Los Angeles for living in a suburban setting - ex: single family home/driving car, than an URBAN setting - ex: living in a condo downtown/ not having to drive a car. When you think of CITY what you should be thinking is the core of the city (downtown) and that should be the most vibrant, and active place with the highest population density.

The fact is, people don't go to LA for the actual downtown most of the time when they go to LA they are going to visit the METRO. When was the last time you know someone who went to NYC to visit the metro ? People go to NYC to get it's URBAN setting, when people go to LA they go to see it's densely populated SUBURBS, do you see the difference?

The people in LA value living more of a suburban style than an urban style, therefore it isn't LA you a really even getting, when people think LA they think they are getting the "city" when realistically all they are getting is a suburban setting outside of a CITY. And when people care more about it's surrounding suburbs more than the actual urban center point, that right there tells you the main focus isn't on the cities urban center.

Los Angeles is suburban city on steroids. San diego is another classic example of a suburban city, where everyone is living in single family homes, and needs a car to get around almost everywhere, and the main focus isn't on the downtown. There are plenty of suburban cities, San Diego, Phoenix, Tucson. Than there are urban cities : Miami, CHICAGO, NYC , San Francisco, Philly. I hope that finally sunk in.

Old 01-15-2013, 07:37 PM

4,156 posts, read 5,565,695 times
Quote:
Here is some fevered nonsense for you
I'm not enabling your silliness. Just stick to the definition:

Where is that large city “adjacent to within commuting distance" of this supposed collection of suburbs?

Old 01-15-2013, 07:40 PM

10,681 posts, read 6,118,686 times
I think CityKing is behind the times with how he describes L.A.

It's not the 80's or 90's anymore.

Old 01-15-2013, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicano3000X View Post
I think CityKing is behind the times with how he describes L.A.

It's not the 80's or 90's anymore.
More like the 50's. In Sun Valley.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles