Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-07-2015, 12:46 AM

1,238 posts, read 1,831,294 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MordinSolus View Post
Because people are stupid and Americans routinely vote against their self-interest. We have a representative democracy for a reason. We're supposed to elect people that are smarter than us to vote in ways that benefit us and the greater good of the nation.
Yup. I'm continuously surprised at the amount of people who don't know we operate as a republic and not a full fledged democracy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2015, 02:28 AM

2,914 posts, read 2,689,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by disgruntled la native View Post
Sounds great. I look forward to $10 big macs and $15 subway foot longs. Forcing the minimum wage up will only lead to inflation.
Yes. Anyone with an economics degree will say the same thing. More businesses will close.
In fact when I heard about this raising of the minimum wage for fast food workers I started learning how to cook.

Does this minimum wage thing apply to food trucks too? You know what will happen is people who have family operated food trucks will flourish! Brick and mortar businesses will close.

And yes, inflation. Basic econimics.

Old 02-07-2015, 02:35 AM

4,213 posts, read 8,309,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big-Bucks View Post
Yes. Anyone with an economics degree will say the same thing. More businesses will close.
In fact when I heard about this raising of the minimum wage for fast food workers I started learning how to cook.

Does this minimum wage thing apply to food trucks too? You know what will happen is people who have family operated food trucks will flourish! Brick and mortar businesses will close.

Food trucks are already about $12-15 for a tiny morsel. Next thing you know they'll have caviar prices for a banh mi

Old 02-07-2015, 02:46 AM

30,896 posts, read 36,970,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exitus Acta Probat View Post
Poll: Most People Want County's Minimum Wage at $15.25 | Brentwood, CA Patch

Why stop at $15.25? Let's make it $50 and hour, and with all the other entitlements many people in transitional jobs get (thanks to the tax paying middle class), let's see just how much more quickly the middle income tax base leaves, so we'll have a two tier economic system consisting of peasants at the bottom and Bolsheviks at the top.

Welcome to the post-American America, not your grandfather's America.
The thing people in most high cost areas get wrong is they don't make the connection between restrictive land use laws and the high cost of real estate and overall cost of living. The restrictive land use policies are what are actually driving the high cost of living. People making the minimum wage, whatever it is, are still going to be at the bottom of the economic ladder. When housing is scarce, the people at the bottom are still going to be outbid for housing. So all raising the minimum wage does is benefit a few people at the expense of many others who get their hours cut or have their jobs automated away. Where this can't be done, the cost of goods & services goes up instead.

People want quick, easy, feel good solutions. They don't think about how many different things are related.

Old 02-07-2015, 02:49 AM

30,896 posts, read 36,970,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
Well, you can start by increasing the minimum wage. Legal. And moral.
But that's just it. Those 85 people have engineered the system so that such things never come out of their pockets. Alternatively, sometimes regulations such as this put people lower down on the economic ladder out of business, limiting competition, allowing the top 85 folks to benefit.

Old 02-07-2015, 06:45 AM

21,741 posts, read 16,361,136 times
Well, I see a number of you respondents apparently either weren't interested to read the little commentary link I posted on the Ayn Rand myths finally falling out of favor with even the conservative right - or managed to not understand the points made. Particularly where even conservative politicians and economists are now aware of the total bull puckey of the Randian lunacies you are slinging around on this thread.

So I'll repost the link:
http://www.latimes.com/business/hilt...track=lat-pick

And no, I am not advancing a liberal agenda here. I repeat: even conservatives who formerly championed a Rand-like view are speaking against that crap now.

Increasing the minimum wage has been debunked thoroughly as any significant stimulus to inflation - or as putting any businesses out of business. Proven. And yeah, all kinds of economists, left to right, concur.

Some of you need to get your heads out of your underpants.

Old 02-07-2015, 06:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
But that's just it. Those 85 people have engineered the system so that such things never come out of their pockets. Alternatively, sometimes regulations such as this put people lower down on the economic ladder out of business, limiting competition, allowing the top 85 folks to benefit.
It's true, tyger, that the system has been brilliantly built and protected by an oligarchical elite who never suffer any meaningful losses.

It's false, however, that increasing income at the lower stratas puts the middle at risk. The more lower incomes increase, the more the middle thrives.

Old 02-07-2015, 10:28 AM
PDF

11,396 posts, read 13,425,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big-Bucks View Post

Except the economics is wrong in this case, as has already been stated and proven many times in this thread.

Old 02-07-2015, 06:55 PM

13,583 posts, read 15,667,720 times
Sorry to interrupt all the fighting, but...

Question: Has the name Thomas Robert Malthus come up in this thread yet?

Old 02-07-2015, 07:57 PM

What about him? Your point in asking?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles