Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-02-2015, 08:39 PM

1,235 posts, read 1,770,349 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by disgruntled la native View Post
Nice that you have the luxury and time to look up 3000 posts back.
It was one of your first posts making the search very quick and easy. I did note you posted a lot today (Monday) during work hours. Must be nice to have a posh job on the Westside where you can surf the net all day.

You grew up in a Westside bubble and it shows in your posts. In all my adult years living in the LA basin, I've never lived west of Western Avenue. I've always preferred grit and soul to shallow westsiders like you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2015, 08:42 PM

4,213 posts, read 8,309,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StreetLegal View Post
It was one of your first posts making the search very quick and easy. I did note you posted a lot today (Monday) during work hours. Must be nice to have a posh job on the Westside where you can surf the net all day.

You grew up in a Westside bubble and it shows in your posts. In all my adult years living in the LA basin, I've never lived west of Western Avenue. I've always preferred grit and soul to shallow westsiders like you.

I may be from the Westside but I can at least support the poor. I work close to Santa Monica and Highland so I know all about grit. Lol. Most jobs can allow for some time to post, it takes maybe a couple minutes a day. Mordinsolus and bpeeps are always posting during "work hours."

Old 02-02-2015, 09:02 PM

1,235 posts, read 1,770,349 times
Quote:
I may be from the Westside but I can at least support the poor. I work close to Santa Monica and Highland so I know all about grit. Lol. Most jobs can allow for some time to post, it takes maybe a couple minutes a day. Mordinsolus and bpeeps are always posting during "work hours."
This isn't about other posters. You support the poor? By kicking them out of their homes? We already know what you say and do are two very different things.

Santa Monica and Highland is gritty? Compared to your tony childhood in the Palisades or North Santa Monica, yes. But not really very gritty compared to a lot of places.....

Old 02-02-2015, 09:07 PM

Tough talk for wasp!

Old 02-02-2015, 09:49 PM

21,741 posts, read 16,361,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by True Freedom View Post
First you say:

Then you say:

So, we're designing something... that we can't design. We're just quantifying functions on something we don't know the true nature of, that will be able to out think and out design us.

Ok, got it.

An AI person might think that this thread itself is an actual Turing test, and that you, Mr. Tulemutt are actually a machine; however, in this case the Turing test fails. No actual human could be this stupid.

Thanks for the fun!!
You can't grasp that intelligent functions can be quantified, copied, and systematically programmed to accumulate, replicate, and proliferate - without the nature of the intelligence behind the functions being known?

Also apparently can't discern the difference between having a discussion, as you suggested you were trying to do, and hurling insults to feed your craving for a sense of superiority. You insult - but without understanding how the insult pops into your head. Or why. But you can program a machine to insult based on processing great quantities of input to find patterns to respond to. Now, do you think that is all your mind is? A processor? (Perhaps it is, but you don't know that, do you?) And if so, from whence comes your programming? A superior intelligence? Or are we a random event on a path to entropy?

What we are designing is our illusion of intelligence. Things, robots, machines that can be more efficient than humans at quantitative functions we arbitrarily define and conflate as intelligent - based on our own cravings and desires, dreams and illusions, without understanding the nature of those things. Quantitatively, our machines and robotic functions will outperform humans at many things, yes. Ultimately, they are not intelligent, sentient originators, nor do they care.

Old 02-02-2015, 10:01 PM

8,343 posts, read 6,435,284 times
I didn't read all 8 pages but I heard on the radio that this poll was put on by the unions and its a push poll. Push poll means they frase the guestions so that people will give the answers they want.

Old 02-02-2015, 10:24 PM

401 posts, read 767,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
You can't grasp that intelligent functions can be quantified, copied, and systematically programmed to accumulate, replicate, and proliferate - without the nature of the intelligence behind the functions being known?

Also apparently can't discern the difference between having a discussion, as you suggested you were trying to do, and hurling insults to feed your craving for a sense of superiority. You insult - but without understanding how the insult pops into your head. Or why. But you can program a machine to insult based on processing great quantities of input to find patterns to respond to. Now, do you think that is all your mind is? A processor? (Perhaps it is, but you don't know that, do you?) And if so, from whence comes your programming? A superior intelligence? Or are we a random event on a path to entropy?

What we are designing is our illusion of intelligence. Things, robots, machines that can be more efficient than humans at quantitative functions we arbitrarily define and conflate as intelligent - based on our own cravings and desires, dreams and illusions, without understanding the nature of those things. Quantitatively, our machines and robotic functions will outperform humans at many things, yes. Ultimately, they are not intelligent, sentient originators, nor do they care.
aw, I'm just playing with you, Turtlebutt.

Yes, we will continue technological innovation that will make us more productive as a society.
I hear what you're saying, that innovations like robotics will do the jobs once done by humans... resulting in lost jobs in those areas. I agree with you.

Where I think we disagree, is that I assert new industries and jobs will continually be created. Those who adapt and change with the world will do just fine.

For instance: the invention of the car put alot of horseshoe makers out of business; however, today we have many auto mechanics, hop up shops, body shops, after market parts distributors, etc that didn't exist back in the horse and buggy days.

Old 02-02-2015, 10:52 PM

3,190 posts, read 3,186,672 times
Quote:
Checking your privilege. Hey, you may think I'm unpopular, and I don't care if "everyone" hates me (though I've received some reputation too), but I got you to rethink things.
Rethink what? That you're even dumber than I thought? Well then, A+. Maybe your tumblr platitudes mean something to you and your silver spoon friends who play at helping the underprivileged, but in the real world "checking my privilege" just makes you look like a buffoon. I was born into a working class family without a single college graduate, raised by a single parent in a rough neighborhood, worked since I was 16, enlisted in the military at 20, and worked dead-end jobs until I won the lottery.
You keep making all these baseless assumptions about others and lashing out against people you fabricated. Maybe instead of "checking my privilege" you should grow the hell up?

Old 02-02-2015, 11:14 PM

21,741 posts, read 16,361,136 times
Quote:
aw, I'm just playing with you, Turtlebutt.
"Playing" is an interesting concept in this instance. Playing can be fun for fun's sake. Without malicious intent. It can also be malicious with intent. AI can be programmed to "play" with malice. But can it actually experience the pleasure of non malicious fun? Which would you say you were doing? What did you get out of your insults? What purpose did they have? No need to answer. My point is obvious: there are elements that are programmable. And benefits that are not.

Quote:
Yes, we will continue technological innovation that will make us more productive as a society.
I hear what you're saying, that innovations like robotics will do the jobs once done by humans... resulting in lost jobs in those areas. I agree with you.

Where I think we disagree, is that I assert new industries and jobs will continually be created. Those who adapt and change with the world will do just fine.

For instance: the invention of the car put alot of horseshoe makers out of business; however, today we have many auto mechanics, hop up shops, body shops, after market parts distributors, etc that didn't exist back in the horse and buggy days.
Now here we find one of the most completely overlooked realities. My favorite topic: perpetual growth is not possible within finite systems with finite resources. "Continual creation" could only occur if taken outside our earthly paradigm and limited consciousness.

What tech and AI are engaging in is a Ponzi game. Betting on perpetual opportunity and endless potential - before we have learned how to take the game outside of its constraints.

But the funniest part of it all is that we haven't hardly begun to grasp the infinite around and within us that is simply available to our natural senses. Yet we are obsessed and enthralled by what we cannot naturally grasp, and feel absolutely compelled to monkey around with it rather than self realize.

Anyway, we are increasingly putting ourselves out of meaningful work. The "recovery" from the recent recession is shining a spotlight on the winners and losers. Part time employment, reduced benefits, stagnant wages that don't pace with necessary inflation, etc. All coinciding with eliminating any need for a workforce equal to population growth. All while an extremely small class of obscenely wealthy oligarchs establish a neo-feudal world order.

Welcome to your Brave New World, True Freedom.

Old 02-03-2015, 12:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MordinSolus View Post
Rethink what? That you're even dumber than I thought? Well then, A+. Maybe your tumblr platitudes mean something to you and your silver spoon friends who play at helping the underprivileged, but in the real world "checking my privilege" just makes you look like a buffoon. I was born into a working class family without a single college graduate, raised by a single parent in a rough neighborhood, worked since I was 16, enlisted in the military at 20, and worked dead-end jobs until I won the lottery.
You keep making all these baseless assumptions about others and lashing out against people you fabricated. Maybe instead of "checking my privilege" you should grow the hell up?
I love how you make your personal opinions sound like what everyone else thinks. Never been on Tumblr. I've gotten a lot more rep on these threads than you think. Invest some of your lotto winnings into therapy. If a stranger on the Internet raises your blood pressure that much, you need it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles