Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-24-2018, 10:38 AM

26,735 posts, read 26,820,948 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliRestoration View Post
You can get an AA degree in 18 months.
Not back then.

Community colleges hit by $149-million shortfall - latimes

College students feel pain of cuts - latimes
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2018, 11:12 AM

6,089 posts, read 4,989,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
Once again, WHERE in this passage does it state that she was attending a CC for 14 years?

Plans change, Cali. Not everyone can--or is able to--go placidly down the road that they had initially intended. Life can interfere: job loss, eviction, family problems, illness. You cannot control every aspect of your life.
Excuses. I've seen people hold two jobs and get BACHELORS degrees.

Fully employed for 14 years and no AA degree?

Last edited by CaliRestoration; 03-24-2018 at 11:56 AM..

Old 03-24-2018, 11:22 AM

25,303 posts, read 21,463,616 times
It’s an emergency now because they let it get out of hand .

Now it’s going to cost a fortune .

Notice there isn’t an emergency in Burbank , Glendale , Pasadena
Because those cities are run properly.

Last edited by jm1982; 03-24-2018 at 11:47 AM..

Old 03-24-2018, 11:48 AM

25,303 posts, read 21,463,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaphawoman View Post
Just in time for the Olympics.
Yeah perfect timing for the tourists .

Old 03-24-2018, 02:01 PM

423 posts, read 289,162 times
How about an Olympic Homeless Team? How about California State Homeless Olympics, city against city. What events could there be? Distance Projectile Vomiting. Stolen Bike Race. Competitive Panhandling/Intimidation, Public Peeing Contest, How Many Can Pack A Library, The Beerbottle Hurl. Hey, a new tourist attraction!

Old 03-24-2018, 03:10 PM

26,735 posts, read 26,820,948 times
California eviction law creates a Kafkaesque process that is driving working Angelenos out of their neighborhoods or worse — onto the streets.

The problem is one of incentives. In a housing market where rents are skyrocketing, it makes financial sense for landlords to hit tenants with repeated waves of trumped-up eviction lawsuits — even when tenants are meeting the obligations of their lease. For the cost of only a few hundred dollars in filing fees, landlords can boot a lease holder and find new renters. He can then charge the newcomers far more than the law allows for a rent increase on a longtime tenant.

California eviction law is pushing working families out of their neighborhoods or worse

Old 03-24-2018, 03:10 PM

7,029 posts, read 4,898,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliRestoration View Post
Excuses. I've seen people hold two jobs and get BACHELORS degrees.

Fully employed for 14 years and no AA degree?
I was employed at the bank for 14 years. I didn't instantly jump right into college. I worked for the bank for a couple of years first and then took a few night classes to see how it went.

As to how long it takes to get an AA (which is pretty worthless, by the way - most employers were looking for a BS), you are under the misconception that night classes are just like day classes. They're not.

AT THAT TIME (so there's no misunderstanding here), night classes ran 7 to 10 four nights a week. You took a Tues Thurs class or you took a Mon Wed class. If you did this the traditional way, you were taking TWO classes a semester, compared to people who could take FOUR classes a semester if they were going full time during the day.

So a two year degree would take four years to complete at night IF everything went perfectly.

Get sick and miss one week of class - you were dropped (I was out for a week once because I had the flu and a week once because I had my appendix out). Didn't make it on time for your first class - you were dropped (this happened once because of the old truck I was driving). If your teacher didn't show up - you were out of luck, class was cancelled. If you took any science class, you took your lab on another evening of the week and then you only did one class a semester. And some required classes were only offered during the day.

And remember, my job at the bank wasn't the least bit flexible concerning when I could work, when I could come in, or when I could leave in the evenings.

So in reality, although I was registered to go to classes every semester, I missed at least 4 of them because of things mentioned above. That's the equivalent of TWO YEARS.

On top of that, there were many extra classes I had to take. I could skip a lot of the basic English classes and go straight into English essay, but I had flunked math since I was in 4th grade. I graduated from high school because I took a math equivalency test and barely passed. Now you know why people graduate from high school and can't make change.

When I needed to take a higher math class for an AA, I had to start in a basic arithmetic class. I couldn't do fraction or decimals, I couldn't even cancel. So that added a few extra semesters on. For the record, I ended up going through Calculus 3B and a physics class.

Once I got my basics done (and by the way, I later found out that the basics I had finished actually were the first two years of a four year university degree), I went on to do court reporting. At this time I was living in my truck, working full time doing a night shift, and going to college full time during the day. Court reporting is a full time, FOUR year degree. I was able to get three years in when tuition went up and I simply couldn't afford it any longer.

All told I probably attended 8 years out of 10 or 11 years that I went. Considering that I took extra classes for the math, managed to get all my classes except two for an AA degree, and then took 3 years of court reporting, I think I did pretty well. If I had started the court reporting a year or so earlier, I might have made it. Things happen.

I stayed at the 7-11 for another six months or so, then got a better paying job, got a room to rent, and then moved into a trailer on a horse boarding stable.

The only other college I've been able to go to was the community college here in Washington. That was in 2009 when I was given stimulus money to attend a semester (I was originally told they would finance two years) and I took the basic classes needed for a two-year bookkeeping certificate (there are no court reporting classes offered anywhere near here). I took 17 units, got a 4.0 and made the president's list - the good one for a change. And then there was no more stimulus money.

At that point I was still out of a job like half the country and trying to figure out how to pay my rent.

Edited to add: Look, this isn't a thread about me. I'm sure people are getting really tired reading about my life. So if you have anything else to ask, just PM me. 'K?

Last edited by rodentraiser; 03-24-2018 at 03:36 PM..

Old 03-24-2018, 08:40 PM

334 posts, read 286,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsflyer View Post
Thats because those are VERY rural areas where very few people live and its seasonal work. Only highly desperate people will uproot their lives for a seasonal job in the middle of nowhere, unless its a farm in some kind of exotic location.

I know here in Alaska they can attract seasonal hires (probably for around 15/hr) because the hotels and buisnesses provide housing and the "alaska experience" without the risk (you have a job and a place to stay) and get to see Alaska. But some field in Nebraska, unless you have your eye on some farmers daughter, your not going to go there for 20/hr unless your desperate.

IF these were year round jobs for 20/hr they would be easier to fill. Then people could settle in and marry the farmers daughter open a quick lube, etc.
Nope. These agriculture jobs are all over SoCal. Within 30 miles of LA county

Old 03-24-2018, 09:25 PM

7,654 posts, read 5,116,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilshire View Post
Well thats strange, you would think you would get van people who want some extra transient money. Typically rental stock is more scarce in less populated areas as well?

I cant imagine picking almonds is rocket science, unless the farmers have built a reputation of being a holes and/or lunatics.

I mean otherwise I dont know why someone would not want to get out of the city to cheaper rent, less traffic, nicer scenery, less smog, etc, etc. Unless there was some MAJOR down side.

Are people even aware these jobs exist?

Old 03-24-2018, 09:29 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,285,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilshire View Post
lol yeah within 30 miles of the border of LA county which would be how many miles from skid row? And how would homeless people get back and forth to these jobs, walk?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles