Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-26-2018, 06:04 PM

26,735 posts, read 26,820,948 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CALGUY View Post
The camps I spoke of earlier, are still there in three places in California.
They should be put to use by the state, for the homeless.
This is just one of them.
I believe this one is in Northern California.
Quote:
My mistake, there were only two, where you mentioned.

If they needed to rebuilt, the funds could come from municipal, county, state, and federal government .
The image you posted is of The Granada Relocation Center in Colorado, called Camp Amache. It was an internment camp for Japanese Americans during WWII.

You cannot be serious about building one of these camps for the homeless.

https://www.nps.gov/nr/travel/asian_...ion-center.htm
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2018, 06:11 PM

26,735 posts, read 26,820,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finper View Post
There are at least 75k homeless in LA. That 45k number they keep stating is a patent lie.
As of February, it looks as if it was about 58,000.

L.A.'s homelessness surged 75% in six years. Here's why the crisis has been decades in the making

Old 03-26-2018, 06:56 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,403,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
If they want to live in SoCal how about old decommissioned aircraft carriers in the various bays? Fix them up as apt and have boats ferry people to the mainland on a schedule to avoid too many flooding the area at a time and give preference to those looking for work, not booze or drugs. Safe, away from neighborhoods, etc. Police could be stationed aboard as well and the kitchens could be used. Plenty of room.

Old 03-26-2018, 07:00 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,285,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
If they want to live in SoCal how about old decommissioned aircraft carriers in the various bays? Fix them up as apt and have boats ferry people to the mainland on a schedule to avoid too many flooding the area at a time and give preference to those looking for work, not booze or drugs. Safe, away from neighborhoods, etc. Police could be stationed aboard as well and the kitchens could be used. Plenty of room.
and what happens if they take a trip to the mainland and refuse to return to the boat?

Old 03-26-2018, 07:32 PM

1,022 posts, read 740,244 times
I guess I'm not too good at this forum stuff. It seems to be no more than locker room talk. I like to see solutions and move-on.

#1 enforce the laws - Vagrancy, defecating in public places, loitering etc.

#2 If laws are not enforced, get new city officials.

Old 03-26-2018, 10:21 PM

8,558 posts, read 10,981,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
The image you posted is of The Granada Relocation Center in Colorado, called Camp Amache. It was an internment camp for Japanese Americans during WWII.

You cannot be serious about building one of these camps for the homeless.

https://www.nps.gov/nr/travel/asian_...ion-center.htm
Living in one of those camps with the amenities to help the homeless would be a lot better than living in a tent above the river bed.

Bob.

Old 03-26-2018, 10:25 PM

8,558 posts, read 10,981,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movedintime View Post
I guess I'm not too good at this forum stuff. It seems to be no more than locker room talk. I like to see solutions and move-on.

#1 enforce the laws - Vagrancy, defecating in public places, loitering etc.

#2 If laws are not enforced, get new city officials.
It is against the law to arrest anyone for vagrancy.
If suitable, alternative housing is available, then it would be legal to arrest people for being vagrant.

Bob.

Old 03-26-2018, 11:10 PM

Quote:
It is against the law to arrest anyone for vagrancy.
If suitable, alternative housing is available, then it would be legal to arrest people for being vagrant.

Bob.
Some cities have ordinances that state a homeless person can be arrested for sleeping on the street if they are offered shelter, but the reality is that it's such a minor crime that people who are arrested for it are issued a citation and told to move along. But I thought that LA was still under the Jones V City of Los Angeles court settlement, which prohibited arresting people for sleeping in public, maybe someone here knows if the city is still complying with that?

Old 03-26-2018, 11:12 PM

Quote:
Living in one of those camps with the amenities to help the homeless would be a lot better than living in a tent above the river bed.

Bob.
The only buildings in those old internment camps are the few that were reconstructed for people to tour. They don't look like they did in the 40's and you can't force people to move to an internment camp, try reading the constitution.

Old 03-26-2018, 11:40 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,463,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
The only buildings in those old internment camps are the few that were reconstructed for people to tour. They don't look like they did in the 40's and you can't force people to move to an internment camp, try reading the constitution.
Does the constitution say anything about taking over sidewalks with tents and stolen shopping carts ? The right to drink and do drugs in public ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles