Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-15-2018, 06:46 AM

1,795 posts, read 1,878,536 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
Every place has it's problems.

I was in Ireland in October talked to someone from Sweden, after getting robbed 4 times over a couple of years, and witnessing a beating of a Swedish citizen(by a group of "immigrants") they now live in Ireland.

So there you go.

Many small towns and even mid-size towns in America have no homeless people.

LA is the nation's 2nd largest city, and as you mentioned has warm weather. They're not going to freeze to death here.
Most of the recent problems in Sweden are due to immigrants not assilmating into Swedish culture.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2018, 09:26 AM

17,815 posts, read 25,642,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanderbiltgrad View Post
Most of the recent problems in Sweden are due to immigrants not assilmating into Swedish culture.
I understand that, the man I talked to in Ireland in October(we chatted for about an hour) and that's exactly who he said was causing the problems. I forget the name of the city he lived in(it wasn't Stockholm) but after having his apartment robbed 4 times he was done.

That's a shame.

Old 02-15-2018, 09:30 AM

1,795 posts, read 1,878,536 times
Quote:
I understand that, the man I talked to in Ireland in October(we chatted for about an hour) and that's exactly who he said was causing the problems. I forget the name of the city he lived in(it wasn't Stockholm) but after having his apartment robbed 4 times he was done.

That's a shame.
I am sorry that happened to him. I never had a problem anywhere I ever went even without a gun, I treat people the way I want to be treated, never had a problem with violence.

Old 02-15-2018, 03:55 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,607,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
Link to that 95% figure? I doubt it.

When we lived in Venice, the majority of the crime problem in Venice was due to drugs, according to the police. And few of those people were homeless. When we asked the officers who investigated our burglary, which was done in broad daylight, they said that it's usually done for fast drug money.

From another thread on Venice, from a few years back:
You lived in Venice in the early 1980s. Practically another lifetime ago. Things were very different back then. The homeless crisis was far, far less severe. Having lived in Venice when Obama was president not when Reagan was president and living right next door to Venice I know a little more than you do..

In the 1980s gangs were the problem. Nowadays homeless are the problem. There is little gang activity in Venice nowadays, a few examples of gang graffiti in some isolated alleys is about it (interestingly, I saw more White Fence graffiti than V13 graffiti). The westside neighborhood nowadays with the most notable gang presence is Palms, not Venice.

The post you were quoting from was from a hysterical alt-right paranoid troll, btw. Although what he said about guns wasn't totally off base. If CA had concealed carry - if there were more people legally packing heat - the homeless would quickly learn to behave in lieu of losing their lives. The likelihood of CA doing that is pretty close to zero though.

Last edited by majoun; 02-15-2018 at 04:06 PM..

Old 02-15-2018, 03:58 PM

Quote:

That's a shame.
Malmo? That's the Swedish city with the highest level of crime, although low by US standards - comparable to Costa Mesa and Pasadena.

Old 02-15-2018, 04:14 PM

292 posts, read 569,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finper View Post
Are you a member of Antifa??
Nope, but I am tired of seeing people who think they are so perfect, and high and mighty, and of course sporting the whole "it will never happen to me!".

Ok, someone is one of the aforementioned hipster d-bags, let's just call him "Joe". Joe has has a lovely expensive apartment in San Francisco, drinks those $8 lattes, spends $20 on a plate of hummus, has an iPhone X...ok you get the point. It is present time, 2018.

Now what happens to Joe in say, 5 years? It's now 2023, and Joe is flooded with money, and he is living larger than ever before. Unfortunately, Joe is feeling stressed out. The weeks pass, and Joe is feeling more and more pressure. He just learned that his tech company is downsizing, and he may get the axe. Joe
has all of these bills to pay, and thanks to his super high rent (and those expensive latees/hummus plates), Joe did not have much saved for a rainy day. "OK, I'll cut back on those frivolous items", Joe thinks to himself.

A couple months have passed, and though Joe is no longer drinking or eating expensive food, and has
resorted to going to ::shudders:: Safeway, he is shocked and dismayed that he is still far from having enough saved up, his rent and other expensive still chomping away at his paycheck, like Pac-Man on steroids. Even worse, Joe has gotten laid off. He got some severance pay, but it won't last long!

Over the next couple of months, Joe goes job hunting. He knows he can't just go to Mc Donalds, because a whole month's paycheck there will only pay a small fraction of his rent. He can't rent anywhere else in the city on that Mc Donalds salary, because, um, there is nowhere cheap enough to rent. So Joe tries to get a job with another tech company.

Unfortunately for Joe, he is long in the tooth at the old age of 30, at least that is how the dot-coms all over San Fran see him. They want fresh blood, preferably no one older than 23, because they can mold young, eager, and naive blood in their image, and make them nice compliant dron....I mean "workers". They don't want the older, wiser, more hardened veterans who may demand better pay, or worse, move up in the company ranks, and possibly even REPLACE those on top!

So Joe keeps looking and looking without success. With his reserves running out fast, he is desperate for a job- any job at this point. He becomes a bagger for Kroger, after going to hundreds of places, and sending in that many job applications, he winds up as a lowly bagger for a supermarket. His reserves for his rent runs out and he loses his apartment, and most of what he owns, because he cant afford the moving/storage unit fees for his stuff. He is an only child, and his mom and dad are very indifferent to his plight. They are the kind of parents that believe in everyone should pick themselves up by their boot straps, and if they fail, it's their fault. They are not about to have him living with them again!

With his home gone, as well as his furniture, and most of his possessions, he is now forced to stay in a homeless shelter in the Tenderloin. He has to pass drug addicts, prostitutes, crazy men screaming at invisible men, not to mention drug pushers when he leaves the shelter every morning, and returns at night.

5 months pass, and Joe is getting no where fast. He has enough for bus fare, and his own food, but he needs to be real careful, because if "they", know he has any money, he is a very likely target for robbery. Not just outside of the shelter, but inside as well. Unfortunately, one day he did get robbed, and mis-fortune had it was by someone INSIDE the shelter. He was sleeping on his mat in the middle of the night, when he was awoken by a fellow 'resident' who was holding a big knife to his face that he managed to slip by security. "Shut up, or I will kill you! Hand over your money now!" the robber growled in such a hushed voice as not to wake anyone else up or tip off staff. Rather than be gutted for the $10 he had in his pocket, Joe handed the robber the money. "If you tell anyone, I will FIND you!" were the robber's parting words.
after the shock and fear wore off, Joe slipped out of the shelter when nobody was looking, and has never gone back.

Joe finally snaps. He takes what little money he has left, and decides that he no longer cares. "What's the point?" Joe asks himself "I can't get a real job, I can't get an apartment, I can't even afford a junker at this point!" Joe goes to the liquor store, and drinks his misery away on the street. Joe's spirits are crushed, he is so depressed and broken he no longer shows up at his Kroger bagging job, so they decide to consider him AWOL and terminate him with no notification, calls or anything, as they can't get in touch with him anyway.

Joe is now just another drunk, "crazy" man on the street, at least that is what our society says.

(of course, individual situations/lives are highly variable, but this is a very possible scenario)

Old 02-15-2018, 04:25 PM

26,735 posts, read 26,820,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
Having lived in Venice when Obama was president not when Reagan was president and living right next door to Venice I know a little more than you do..
LOL; yes, sir! You simply must be correct.

So then where are the stats to your support your statement that "there's still a crime problem in Venice, which is 95 percent the work of the homeless."

Quote:
The post you were quoting from was from a hysterical alt-right paranoid troll, btw. Although what he said about guns wasn't totally off base.
What post? The L.A. Times?

Old 02-15-2018, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
LOL; yes, sir! You simply must be correct.

So then where are the stats to your support your statement that "there's still a crime problem in Venice, which is 95 percent the work of the homeless."

What post?
There are not stats for everything. The 95 percent is approximate.

You were quoting from a post by "notmeofficer", who was a troll.

Old 02-15-2018, 04:32 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,285,621 times
Quote:
Funny how you totally sugarcoat the homeless problem and totally underestimate how much crime the homeless cause but you admit there's still a crime problem in Venice, which is 95 percent the work of the homeless.
That's utter nonsense unless you consider being homeless a crime

https://argonautnews.com/violent-cri...-venice-beach/

Old 02-15-2018, 04:34 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,285,621 times
Quote:
There are not stats for everything. The 95 percent is approximate.

You were quoting from a post by "notmeofficer", who was a troll.
This was your post, right?

Quote:
Funny how you totally sugarcoat the homeless problem and totally underestimate how much crime the homeless cause but you admit there's still a crime problem in Venice, which is 95 percent the work of the homeless.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles