Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-16-2018, 04:42 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,268,189 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
I agree. Many of we Baby Boomers have Millennial children, and lots of them are struggling to get by here, doing as you mentioned: working two jobs, having multiple roommates, paying off student loans, delaying purchasing a home, etc. Expensive electronic equipment and annual passes to Disneyland went out the window during the 2008 recession. I'm surprised that more people don't see this.
Oh they see it but they continue to push the bootstrapper theory, i.e. "everything that ever happens in your life is your fault and is the result of poor planning"... As I've said before talk is cheap, I'd love to see the bank balances of some of these people who continue to regurgitate that nonsense, I bet they aren't much further from being broke than the folks they wag their finger at.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2018, 04:51 PM

10,681 posts, read 6,114,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
Oh they see it but they continue to push the bootstrapper theory, i.e. "everything that ever happens in your life is your fault and is the result of poor planning"... As I've said before talk is cheap, I'd love to see the bank balances of some of these people who continue to regurgitate that nonsense, I bet they aren't much further from being broke than the folks they wag their finger at.
True, and as CA4now said. We’re not getting passes to Disneyland, and getting luxuries. Many people that I know within my age group are living with roomates and working multiple jobs.

None of us honestly have much hope that we’ll own a home. Just hope that we have a roof over our heads. At this point we just hope to do more than just simply survive. We just want to have the careers we worked hard for and a decent place to live.

I think thats the big difference. Previous generations dreamt of extravance. We just wanna not be homeless lol.

Old 02-16-2018, 05:35 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,454,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicano3000X View Post
True, and as CA4now said. We’re not getting passes to Disneyland, and getting luxuries. Many people that I know within my age group are living with roomates and working multiple jobs.

None of us honestly have much hope that we’ll own a home. Just hope that we have a roof over our heads. At this point we just hope to do more than just simply survive. We just want to have the careers we worked hard for and a decent place to live.

I think thats the big difference. Previous generations dreamt of extravance. We just wanna not be homeless lol.
Why set the bar low though ? It can be a self fulfilling prophecy. Why set limits ?

Old 02-16-2018, 05:46 PM

10,681 posts, read 6,114,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
Why set the bar low though ? It can be a self fulfilling prophecy. Why set limits ?
Not setting limits. Just being realisitic.
Still aim high though.

Old 02-16-2018, 07:18 PM

21,735 posts, read 16,346,385 times
So curiously funny. The sense of entitlement humanity has developed in the blink of an eye on any historical scale, that we all should be so securely independent property owners, possessing cornucopias of material products to satiate and amuse ourselves endlessly and mindlessly. Just a few generations back, most people around the globe lived with so little, in extended family generations ... old and young taking care of each other for life as best each could for the other.

Now such simplicity and generational commitment and caring is viewed as distastefully unnatural.

Old 02-16-2018, 07:36 PM

26,727 posts, read 26,806,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
So curiously funny. The sense of entitlement humanity has developed in the blink of an eye on any historical scale, that we all should be so securely independent property owners, possessing cornucopias of material products to satiate and amuse ourselves endlessly and mindlessly.
Not really, mutt. Just that many of us had the chance to at least purchase a home that we could afford--and in which our kids could grow up--with basic expectations such as neighborhood friends and decent public schools.

Not a lot to ask. And that's out of reach to many of the younger generation today, at least in this state.

Old 02-16-2018, 07:38 PM

9,807 posts, read 11,140,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
So curiously funny. The sense of entitlement humanity has developed in the blink of an eye on any historical scale, that we all should be so securely independent property owners, possessing cornucopias of material products to satiate and amuse ourselves endlessly and mindlessly. Just a few generations back, most people around the globe lived with so little, in extended family generations ... old and young taking care of each other for life as best each could for the other.

Now such simplicity and generational commitment and caring is viewed as distastefully unnatural.
Oh please. There was far less toleration of hobos than we have today in our disgustingly and damagingly altruistic society.

Last edited by LuvSouthOC; 02-16-2018 at 08:00 PM..

Old 02-16-2018, 07:45 PM

5,267 posts, read 4,181,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicano3000X View Post

Your the one that called other states bumfugg and bashed mgrs... What do you do for a living?? Sorry I'm not shedding tears over your friends having to work 2 jobs and living with roommates. That's every generation starting out including mine. I worked at Mervyns while going to college and lived at home then lived with 2 roommates in a small apt. You do have it tougher with the cost of living here and your right you'll never be able to buy in Ca but you can do what my friends daughters did and move to Ohio. She has a great job they live on a golf course and soon will buy a house. Face it Ca is only for the rich and very poor. You me and a lot of other people are being forced out.

Old 02-16-2018, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvSouthOC View Post
Oh please. There was far less toleration of hobos than we have today in our disgustingly and damagingly altruistic society.
Please show me where I said anything about “hobos”.

My remark was aimed at the consumption-based entitlement mentality exemplified perfectly by such as yourself, feeding the notion that all persons can and should be materially oriented and well secured as individuals. And that anyone who can't conform to that standard is a failure.

The levels of [unnecessary, wasteful] consumer consumption we are now conditioned to expect of ourselves and others is historically very recent. Unprecedented. Unsustainable. And pointless to boot. Moreover, the further we commit to this material fantasy - the more people will fall through the cracks that are rapidly widening into chasms.

Primitive peoples and societies did not have homelessness. It grows with distancing ourselves from our essential design.

Old 02-16-2018, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
Not really, mutt. Just that many of us had the chance to at least purchase a home that we could afford--and in which our kids could grow up--with basic expectations such as neighborhood friends and decent public schools.

Not a lot to ask. And that's out of reach to many of the younger generation today, at least in this state.
Not sure what you are saying “not really” to?

Yes. Many in recent past generations had the opportunity to buy homes that can't be bought today by a growing percentage of upcoming generations. How does that confirm anything except exactly what I wrote: we, as a culture, now expect what just a handful of generations ago was never taken for granted. Three and five generations before me lived in the struggle of carving out homesteads from wilderness, at best. Those not so adventurously inclined lived in some extremely limited conditions and spaces, often with extended generations.

As I so often point out, humanity has been out of the caves for 10,000 years. We've only become materially oriented to mass individual pursuit of opulence since the advent of consumer capitalism infecting society in the last 125 or so years. Blink of an historical eye. Yet we are so confident this [nonsense] we glorify is the goal of our evolution.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles