Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-18-2018, 04:58 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,642,029 times

Advertisements

Oh so we the residents of LA will pay other police departments? So do those police departments hire additional officers?

What happens if LA doesn't come through with money as promised?

How about the residents who live out there who don't want it?

While a 6 month cutoff sounds enough time, what happens after the 6 months. Are they driven back to LA or are to remain in the area? How many jobs would be out there?

No, I don't want to provide for them for life, that's why I asked what's your time frame.

A professional? Hmmm, some of these "professionals" should be placed themselves...LOL. I know a few people were misdiagnosed by mental health "professionals".

Let's be honest, it's not a well thought out idea. Than add in you can't just round people up and put them in a camp, the last time that was done in this country was to Japanese Americans here in CA during WW2, a very shameful time that many today probably don't even know about.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2018, 05:10 PM

21,738 posts, read 16,356,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
You're right, having been laid off twice(once after 9/11 and no one was hiring), I wouldn't know anything about tough times....sigh.

And that was back when you got 6 months or UE benefits, and that was it, not 2 years.

It's the great American way to put on airs and live above your means.

I'm not saying this everyone, but you can't seem to admit that many in this country go crazy with the credit cards, don't save anything, and especially these days can't seem to wait and save for it, they have to have when they have to have it.
Quote:

Now I see why Tuttlemutt can't admit many people put themselves in dire financial straits, they must be one of them.
I haven't said a word about people not putting themselves in financial straits, nor defended people who put themselves in credit trouble with cards. The points I addressed in response to your comments were very specific.

You said people who put 20% or so down on a house “will do whatever it takes to save it” and people who don't simply “walk away without consequences”. I pointed out that is an oversimplification and not true. Money down doesn't guarantee you can make payments if you lose your job later. Period. Full stop. And, when a person is forced to “walk away” from a mortgage they certainly do suffer consequences. Period. Full stop.

Now you are attributing comments to me I never made about people who use credit cards irresponsibly or buy fancy cars they can't afford, etc. i haven't addressed those issues at all. For that matter, I never said that people always only buy houses they can afford. Lots of people spend and commit to many things they can't handle. And for that they are stuck facing the consequences.

I only addressed a couple of oversimplifications you generalized with.

As for you having been laid off twice: ok. Good for you navigating those crises. All the more you should understand how easy it is for perfectly responsible people to find themselves in credit trouble over their head. And if it happens in severe recession, selling more pencils isn't likely to solve the problem. Renting rooms might be an option in some case ... and certainly not in all ... etc.

Old 02-18-2018, 05:14 PM

21,738 posts, read 16,356,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
Now wait a minute, mutt. As he says about others, "He/she gains points for virtue signaling."
I'm not getting your meaning here ... rephrase/explain?

Old 02-18-2018, 05:30 PM

9,807 posts, read 11,145,157 times
Quote:
Oh so we the residents of LA will pay other police departments? So do those police departments hire additional officers?

What happens if LA doesn't come through with money as promised?

How about the residents who live out there who don't want it?

While a 6 month cutoff sounds enough time, what happens after the 6 months. Are they driven back to LA or are to remain in the area? How many jobs would be out there?

No, I don't want to provide for them for life, that's why I asked what's your time frame.

A professional? Hmmm, some of these "professionals" should be placed themselves...LOL. I know a few people were misdiagnosed by mental health "professionals".

Let's be honest, it's not a well thought out idea. Than add in you can't just round people up and put them in a camp, the last time that was done in this country was to Japanese Americans here in CA during WW2, a very shameful time that many today probably don't even know about.
If the camps are too generous for you then I am happy to not give a red cent toward this issue.

Old 02-18-2018, 05:39 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,285,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvSouthOC View Post
These costs would have to be borne statewide, not just by LA. The Feds should assist since so many of these people are out of state transients.

As for not knowing history, that is quite a leap. No one is advocating harming these people. The determination of mental suitability can be made by an expert.
How about this, the people who support an idiotic concept like this pay for it out of their own pockets?

Old 02-18-2018, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
I haven't said a word about people not putting themselves in financial straits, nor defended people who put themselves in credit trouble with cards. The points I addressed in response to your comments were very specific.

You said people who put 20% or so down on a house “will do whatever it takes to save it” and people who don't simply “walk away without consequences”. I pointed out that is an oversimplification and not true. Money down doesn't guarantee you can make payments if you lose your job later. Period. Full stop. And, when a person is forced to “walk away” from a mortgage they certainly do suffer consequences. Period. Full stop.

Now you are attributing comments to me I never made about people who use credit cards irresponsibly or buy fancy cars they can't afford, etc. i haven't addressed those issues at all. For that matter, I never said that people always only buy houses they can afford. Lots of people spend and commit to many things they can't handle. And for that they are stuck facing the consequences.

I only addressed a couple of oversimplifications you generalized with.

As for you having been laid off twice: ok. Good for you navigating those crises. All the more you should understand how easy it is for perfectly responsible people to find themselves in credit trouble over their head. And if it happens in severe recession, selling more pencils isn't likely to solve the problem. Renting rooms might be an option in some case ... and certainly not in all ... etc.
I absolutely agree with you, it's very easy for very responsible people to start to find themselves in trouble if they lose their job, if it comes down to feeding yourself or your kids vs. paying the Visa bill, you're going to get groceries.

But people who have invested more in something whether it be a house, a car, or a relationship or a marriage are going to make more effort than someone who has invested nothing.

When I say "whatever it takes" I don't mean robbing a bank to pay the mortgage, but like I just said when you have more of yourself(in this case your money), most will make more of an effort to hold onto it than someone who put zero down.

Old 02-18-2018, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
How about this, the people who support an idiotic concept like this pay for it out of their own pockets?
How about people who want us to pay for housing in expensive areas pay for it themselves?

Old 02-18-2018, 05:43 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,463,616 times
Quote:
How about people who want us to pay for housing in expensive areas pay for it themselves?
Sounds like a good plan . I bet Westside liberals shut up about housing the homeless if they gotta pay $1000 sq ft or more for it .

There is no need for the homeless to be in high cost areas .

Do they have tech jobs ?

Old 02-18-2018, 05:44 PM

Quote:
If the camps are too generous for you then I am happy to not give a red cent toward this issue.
I see you dodged all my questions....LOL.

Nice try, trying to put it back on me.

I asked legit questions, and you can't answer any of them. Other than the time frame question. But even than what happens after the 6 months?

Because you can't admit this isn't a well thought out idea.

Look, IDK what the answer is to our horrific homeless problem here, but I can admit that.

Apparently you can't.

Old 02-18-2018, 05:53 PM

Quote:
I see you dodged all my questions....LOL.

Nice try, trying to put it back on me.

I asked legit questions, and you can't answer any of them. Other than the time frame question. But even than what happens after the 6 months?

Because you can't admit this isn't a well thought out idea.

Look, IDK what the answer is to our horrific homeless problem here, but I can admit that.

Apparently you can't.
I can “admit” that building the camps is generous in and of itself. We have no duty to do anything for bums. If people need short term assistance, our existing systems could be enhanced. No matter what, accepting the status quo as a way of life is not an option. They need to be removed and assistance must only be short term.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles