Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-06-2019, 09:09 PM

3,877 posts, read 3,899,677 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by curiousgeorge5 View Post
I wonder what California will do if they substantially lose tax revenues.
Figure it out. There have been many states that have been loosing people for Yeats and have survived. There's no way the third fastest growing state can't survive with a booming population.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2019, 05:20 PM

192 posts, read 133,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BGS91762 View Post
Home is paid off and property taxes set via Prop 13. Wont be leaving anytime soon.
This was me but I still got the heck out. Lived in a paid off home for the last 20+ years but my property taxes went up every year. I couldn’t stand to hand over 13.3% of everything we made to fund the state workers’ retirement, among other things, while having to fend for ourselves with regard to our own. Glad you’re happy to stay. I’m much happier in AZ where my property taxes are half of what they were in my paid off Cali home, and without any prop 13! My lifestyle is much better here as well. To each his own. Obviously many are staying there, but tons are leaving who don’t want to get stuck paying the rest of the bills coming due.

Old 03-08-2019, 05:23 PM

427 posts, read 368,356 times
Obviously many are staying there, but tons are leaving who don’t want to pay the rest of the bills coming due

This is a major sticking point I am worried about as well. California has written a lot of checks it cant cash. Guess who ends up footing that bill? Higher taxes and less wage increases.

Old 03-08-2019, 08:39 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,301,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Movn-on View Post
This was me but I still got the heck out. Lived in a paid off home for the last 20+ years but my property taxes went up every year. I couldn’t stand to hand over 13.3% of everything we made to fund the state workers’ retirement, among other things, while having to fend for ourselves with regard to our own. Glad you’re happy to stay. I’m much happier in AZ where my property taxes are half of what they were in my paid off Cali home, and without any prop 13! My lifestyle is much better here as well. To each his own. Obviously many are staying there, but tons are leaving who don’t want to get stuck paying the rest of the bills coming due.
No one in California pays 13.3% on "everything they made" because only income over $1,074,996.00 is taxed at that rate.

Old 03-09-2019, 02:10 AM

603 posts, read 443,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
No one in California pays 13.3% on "everything they made" because only income over $1,074,996.00 is taxed at that rate.
Plenty pay 13.3% on over 90% of their adjusted taxable income.... over six thousand thousand taxpayers had over $1 million in Californian state income tax liabilities in 2017. Now the new SALT rules are in place watch these folks move their domicile in droves.
California is lovely but it’s not worth 13.3% of my income to live there full time verses zero % to visit frequently.
Florida is lovely too ...
These tax laws were DESIGNED to bleed California, NY, NJ, MA and other high taxing liberal states.
I hope they bleed deep and profusely...

Old 03-09-2019, 06:15 AM

3,877 posts, read 3,899,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taksan View Post
Plenty pay 13.3% on over 90% of their adjusted taxable income.... over six thousand thousand taxpayers had over $1 million in Californian state income tax liabilities in 2017. Now the new SALT rules are in place watch these folks move their domicile in droves.
California is lovely but it’s not worth 13.3% of my income to live there full time verses zero % to visit frequently.
These tax laws were DESIGNED to bleed California, NY, NJ, MA and other high taxing liberal states.
Chances are these folks have careers that can only be found in California so I wouldn't hold my breath on them leaving.

Old 03-09-2019, 07:02 AM

427 posts, read 368,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taksan View Post
I cant cheer Florida, you have humidity and hurricanes. If one cant afford L.A., then Phoenix is the next best alternative.

Old 03-09-2019, 08:06 AM

5,429 posts, read 4,463,858 times
This has been going on since at least the 1990s. Why are we talking about it now?

Arizona and Nevada have been overdeveloped in part due to Californians leaving California. It has had both detrimental economic and social effects in those areas.

Old 03-09-2019, 08:14 AM

2,353 posts, read 5,378,210 times
The problem with people leaving liberal states are that they bring the same stupid ideas with them. Florida will be blue soon

Old 03-09-2019, 08:20 AM

5,429 posts, read 4,463,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by (901) View Post
The problem with people leaving liberal states are that they bring the same stupid ideas with them. Florida will be blue soon
People of all political ideologies leave states for lower cost areas.

Last edited by RJ312; 03-09-2019 at 09:04 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles