Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-12-2021, 01:59 PM

108 posts, read 110,938 times

Advertisements

Driving is a privilege. You don't have to drive and are free to walk, ride a bike, use a train, etc. Abuse that right by driving drunk, you'll have that privilege taken away. Having control of your own body, is a right (at least in America) -- not a privilege. Saying the two are the same is a false equivalency.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2021, 02:02 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,301,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VaughanWilliams33 View Post
Driving is a privilege. You don't have to drive and are free to walk, ride a bike, use a train, etc. Abuse that right by driving drunk, you'll have that privilege taken away. Having control of your own body, is a right (at least in America) -- not a privilege. Saying the two are the same is a false equivalency.
Flying in a plane, sending your kid to school rather than homeschooling, working in a hospital or being employed as a firefighter or police officer are choices too. If you work from home and don't care about going to places where masks or vaccines are required no one is going to bother you about masks or vaccines

Old 10-12-2021, 02:24 PM

6,616 posts, read 4,887,429 times
Many people don't like the change in their supposed rights - or contractual terms - but the changes are better than just hoping for enough voluntary cooperation.

Old 10-12-2021, 02:36 PM

2,378 posts, read 1,316,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
Oct 8 Data is for 7 days

Cases per 100k

California 65
Texas 186
Florida 120

Change from Previous week

California -39%
Texas -26%
Florida -32%

NAAT Positivity

California 2.7%
Texas 8.6%
Florida 6.4%

Deaths are broken out by region and county in that source but I found the state data here: https://www.beckershospitalreview.co...te-july-1.html

Oct. 12, 2021 Death for past 7 days per 100k population

California Deaths per 100,000: 0.26 Daily average deaths: 103
Texas Deaths per 100,000: 0.83 Daily average deaths: 241.4
Florida Deaths per 100,000: 0.7 Daily average deaths: 149.7

So if it's not mandates that caused the difference in those parameters, what is it?
That’s your evidence that mandates work when the numbers are pretty close to one another and cases, hospitalizations, and deaths continue to plummet in Florida and let’s not miss the fact that Florida is more densely populated than California.

Old 10-12-2021, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
Flying in a plane, sending your kid to school rather than homeschooling, working in a hospital or being employed as a firefighter or police officer are choices too. If you work from home and don't care about going to places where masks or vaccines are required no one is going to bother you about masks or vaccines
Right. And if you mandate an experimental medical procedure for the job, you're going to see people quit in large numbers. Look at what's happening with Southwest Airlines right now. Thousands of flights had to be cancelled because of these ridiculous mandates. I'm not sure why they thought this would not happen. I could see it from a mile away.

One current thing that never makes any sense though, is why the vaccinated are afraid of the unvaccinated. If you had confidence in the experiment, why would be afraid of those who would be of no harm to you? Anyway, if you want to get your 17th booster, that's fine with me. Just don't try to force your decisions on the rest of us.

Old 10-12-2021, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
No sir. YOU are this forum’s biggest ideologue. Any readings of your posts reveal, just as you have done above, that you are fully immersed in conspiracies and political polarization.
Coming from the guy who suffers from full on TDS. You clearly do not understand what an ideologue is. Open a dictionary. Geez!

Old 10-12-2021, 02:53 PM

I'll add one more very important point. In regards to mandates, private employers are allowed to have the right to require a vaccine mandate. I don't like it, I don't think it's a good policy, but they are private. However, the federal government should not ever be allowed to force a mandate on private employers. The real reason they are doing this is because they know that employers that do not require the vaccine will be in higher demand for applicants. People will flee the mandate businesses and go to ones that do not. The government knows this and they don't want employees to leave for businesses with a better health policy. But the bottom line is, these mandates (private or government) are going to fail. This is not what we do in America.

Old 10-12-2021, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodheathen View Post
Many people don't like the change in their supposed rights - or contractual terms - but the changes are better than just hoping for enough voluntary cooperation.
Most people are against their rights being taken away. That’s why those in positions of power take a little at a time so that the one being oppressed hardly notices. Well, most people are waking up and will not tolerate these changes in their loss of liberty and freedom.

What makes you think these changes are better? You don’t even know the long term effects of vaccine mandates or lose your job along with other covid restrictions. Do you people ever think or ask questions? You just go ahead and do without asking first, second, and third questions.

You think on emotion, not on data, facts, and analysis.

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/p...te-enforcement

Last edited by Nyfinestbxtf; 10-12-2021 at 03:27 PM..

Old 10-12-2021, 03:35 PM

Whatever. I know a perpetual pandemic is the worst possible outcome.

Given that there's nuisance to mandates, if/when modern medicine comes through and significantly reduces contagiousness and risk even for the unvaccinated, they'll fade away. Vaccine air travel requirements from decades ago aren't around in most places, as far as I know. I predict schools and healthcare facilities won't let go of COVID vaccination requirements, but one is convenience and the other isn't a big deal in that industry. There is no conspiracy to enslave the population. I want to laugh at that thinking, but it's actually vexing, because it's one of a few things trapping us in this mess.

Old 10-12-2021, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaughanWilliams33 View Post
Right. And if you mandate an experimental medical procedure for the job, you're going to see people quit in large numbers. Look at what's happening with Southwest Airlines right now. Thousands of flights had to be cancelled because of these ridiculous mandates. I'm not sure why they thought this would not happen. I could see it from a mile away.

One current thing that never makes any sense though, is why the vaccinated are afraid of the unvaccinated. If you had confidence in the experiment, why would be afraid of those who would be of no harm to you? Anyway, if you want to get your 17th booster, that's fine with me. Just don't try to force your decisions on the rest of us.
Except that's wrong. Police and maybe firefighters aren't legally allowed to do that, few industries rely so much on a few employees as airlines do, and in many industries most of the employees are voluntarily vaccinated. I haven't heard of any industry where workers are quitting in large numbers mostly due to mandates.

As for silly words like "experiment," the worry is real that the vaccines don't do much prevention, so of course that raises the level of compliance needed to control COVID-19. Boosters don't solve that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles