Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-13-2021, 10:52 AM

2,378 posts, read 1,316,128 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodheathen View Post
There are so many police - and active men over, say, 40 - who should read stories like this. Unvaccinated without infection earlier in 2021 is an invitation to a very bad time with the Delta variant.
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/crime...?ocid=msedgntp
It is their choice. Why is this a difficult concept to understand. Geez. Stop attempting to impose Your will like an ideologue. That’s what an ideologue is, those who impose their will on others. How about you stay in your own lane and mind your own business. I’m sick of you people telling individuals how to live, what to do, and what to think.

Last edited by Nyfinestbxtf; 10-13-2021 at 11:04 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2021, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
My data comes from the Johns Hopkins Coronavirus website. There have been 44,584,000 diagnosed cases of Covid 19 in the United States. There are 717,000 documented deaths due to coronavirus. This means 1 out of every 62 persons diagnosed has died from the disease. That's just a little less than one out of every two people diagnosed. One out of 62 people is not inconsequential. Its a very large number. Not even considering morbidity, coronavirus has taken more lives in this country than World War I, World War II, the Korean War, and the Vietnam War. Its done all this in just twenty months. I get tired of people who keep trying to minimize the problem.
So only 44,584,000 people have been infected by covid? Not a single person more? You are aware those are only confirmed cases. Don’t be so obtuse.

Old 10-13-2021, 11:28 AM

13,583 posts, read 15,667,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
Cops are paid very well, far better than what other jobs with similar education requirements pay. My guess is that the vaccine mandate will cause some Officers to retire sooner than they had planned, but there will not be any kind of mass exodus. Where are they going to go, Idaho and get paid less than half of what they are earning now?
I'm not qualified to answer the last question. However, it's my understanding that recruiting for law enforcement is generally down, due to recent political events. Currently, LAPD response times are very high, according to my neighbors who wait for up to an hour before the police show up to chase burglars, crazy people brandishing weapons, etc. Based on that info, I don't want any measures that may create a further shortage of LEO's.

Old 10-13-2021, 11:32 AM

5,985 posts, read 13,129,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
My data comes from the Johns Hopkins Coronavirus website. There have been 44,584,000 diagnosed cases of Covid 19 in the United States. There are 717,000 documented deaths due to coronavirus. This means 1 out of every 62 persons diagnosed has died from the disease. That's just a little less than one out of every two people diagnosed. One out of 62 people is not inconsequential. Its a very large number. Not even considering morbidity, coronavirus has taken more lives in this country than World War I, World War II, the Korean War, and the Vietnam War. Its done all this in just twenty months. I get tired of people who keep trying to minimize the problem.
War deaths from people humans murdering each other is an apples to oranges comparison.

What you really should compare is the number of people who died from other infectious diseases before the introduction of vaccines.

According to this academic journal article:

https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/path.4457

approximately 7-8 million children died of just the measles every year before the measles vaccine was introduced. (all these wars took place before the introduction of the measles vaccines). And this is just ONE infectious disease. And measles is even more contagious than COVID.

So far 4.8 million people worldwide have died from COVID. The Spanish flu killed close to 50 million, when the global population was less than a third what it is today.

It is in other words "normal" from a historical perspective for there to be highly infectious diseases that we do not have vaccines for.

It is testament to the progress we have made in medical technology that we are willing to risk our whole system to distribute goods and services that provide livelihood to prevent an outbreak that would have been considered

There is a human moral failure when we start wars. Diseases however are part of nature. A part of nature we should absolutely prevent and develop vaccines for yes, but nature nonetheless. The two are totally different and shouldn't be compared.

Old 10-13-2021, 11:39 AM

14,400 posts, read 14,314,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyfinestbxtf View Post
So only 44,584,000 people have been infected by covid? Not a single person more? You are aware those are only confirmed cases. Don’t be so obtuse.
We know that those people had covid. Its speculation to talk about how many others may have had it.

Old 10-13-2021, 12:06 PM

6,616 posts, read 4,885,622 times
Quote:
It is their choice. Why is this a difficult concept to understand. Geez. Stop attempting to impose Your will like an ideologue. That’s what an ideologue is, those who impose their will on others. How about you stay in your own lane and mind your own business. I’m sick of you people telling individuals how to live, what to do, and what to think.
Choice would be wiser if cops weren't so quick to distribute incorrect information to each other, such as the idea that previous infection automatically means lasting immunity or exercise does much for immunity (weight-lifting does very little is my hunch).

Furthermore, police more than most other professions need to be ready to work at almost any time. No casual drug use, no excessive drinking (though some do it anyway), fitness requirements. Being vaccinated against a disease that's otherwise tough for not-young adults to fight off is a logical extension of that.

Old 10-13-2021, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodheathen View Post
Choice would be wiser if cops weren't so quick to distribute incorrect information to each other, such as the idea that previous infection automatically means lasting immunity or exercise does much for immunity (weight-lifting does very little is my hunch).

Furthermore, police more than most other professions need to be ready to work at almost any time. No casual drug use, no excessive drinking (though some do it anyway), fitness requirements. Being vaccinated against a disease that's otherwise tough for not-young adults to fight off is a logical extension of that.
And yet the same people who want to defund the police want to mandate the police to be vaccinated so that they are ready to work? The vast majority of police officers are not high risk to covid. You just subscribe to police state mandates and desire to impose your will on others.

Old 10-13-2021, 02:06 PM

13,657 posts, read 9,720,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
I am not sure where you got the idea that vaccinating children doesn't protect them? Do you believe that kid's can't get really sick or die from Covid?
Any one of us, can get sick and suffer long-term debilitation from this disease... or a panoply of other diseases. Nobody is so healthy or of such vigorous constitution as to have perfect safety. Nevertheless, we all die, do we not? And until quite recently in human history, the reality of death came sooner and more harshly for most of us.

Quote:
... I’m sick of you people telling individuals how to live, what to do, and what to think.
While I share your frustrations, and your desire for an alternative, we are unfortunately in the small minority... at least here in Los Angeles. The people have spoken in their stated desire, and that desire is the negation of what you or I might cherish. A pity, yes. But what recourse do we have?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex?Il? View Post
War deaths from people humans murdering each other is an apples to oranges comparison.
Indeed. The abnormality is that the US fought its 20th century wars so cheaply. Were the US to have lost as many people in WW2 as did the USSR - some 25 million - then today perhaps we'd not view a potential 1M deaths with such trepidation and dread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex?Il? View Post
It is in other words "normal" from a historical perspective for there to be highly infectious diseases that we do not have vaccines for.
Another good point. "Normal" in most of human history is for couples to have 7 children, of whom maybe 3 reach adulthood. Normal is to die before retirement benefits kick-in. Normal is to have compromised physiology because of insufficient vitamins or calories or what have you, during our critical growth-years. Normal is to die from a burst appendix. Or in childbirth. Or from a snakebite, or from parasites in the water-supply. We moderns have completely upended the meaning of "normal". Is it no surprise, that just a slither of a return to historical normalcy, is greeted with such consternation and dread?

Old 10-13-2021, 02:18 PM

6,616 posts, read 4,885,622 times
You have no idea what my politics are - hint, not a Democrat - and I have no idea what defund-the-police activists think about vaccine mandates. You have angered most people here and are not a local. You should not be participating in this thread.

Old 10-13-2021, 02:21 PM

3,563 posts, read 5,379,266 times
After fifty years is see the "Siege mentality" of the LAPD is still going strong. I dated three LAPD daughters in HS in LA. !!! Maybe if they sent a mobile vac. truck down to the Elks Lodge meeting and had a pep talk about it???
And hide those gang tats for the East LA bunch.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles