Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-15-2021, 06:47 AM

26,739 posts, read 26,828,098 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
The risk of dying of covid is far greater if you don't get vaccinated.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
Far greater? Prove it.
Did you think that all these studies were made up?

The latest studies from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention released on Friday also found that vaccinated people were nearly five times less likely to get infected and 10 times less likely to get so sick they ended up in the hospital.

The CDC "looked at COVID-19 cases, hospitalizations and deaths in 13 states and offers further evidence of the power of vaccination," Dr. Rochelle Walensky, director of the CDC, said at a White House COVID-19 briefing...

https://www.npr.org/2021/09/10/10360...es-more-likely
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2021, 07:31 AM

12,950 posts, read 13,349,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post

The latest studies from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention released on Friday also found that vaccinated people were nearly five times less likely to get infected and 10 times less likely to get so sick they ended up in the hospital.

The CDC "looked at COVID-19 cases, hospitalizations and deaths in 13 states and offers further evidence of the power of vaccination," Dr. Rochelle Walensky, director of the CDC, said at a White House COVID-19 briefing...

The flat earth types will claim the studies are bunk, because they believe other anonymous uneducated morons in the internet.

Old 10-15-2021, 08:30 AM

42,850 posts, read 26,294,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyfinestbxtf View Post
You are aware police get sick leave, that’s all figured into the budget. Just stop with the nonsense. Again, most police officers are young and are not high risk to covid. There are far more serious concerns for police than covid. Heart disease, using tobacco products, stress, alcohol, bad eating habits, and so on.
lol and cops that are off on sick leave have to be replaced by other cops getting overtime, are you aware of that? And the delta variant does not spare the young, they might not die from covid but they have a real good chance of getting it and will be off work on quarantine when they do, who pays for that?

Old 10-15-2021, 08:36 AM

42,850 posts, read 26,294,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VaughanWilliams33 View Post
Chicago's police department is not mandating the vaccine. You want to know why? 50% of their police will quit or be fired. They recognize the disaster that would bring. The mandates are a terrible idea and will fail.
It's not up the police union to mandate it, they are blocking it but the mayor is moving forward with requiring it:

Quote:
Mayor Lori Lightfoot asked a Cook County judge Friday morning to stop the Fraternal Order of Police Lodge 7 and President John Catanzara from blocking the city’s vaccine mandate with illegal threats of a strike or work stoppage.

“As Chicago’s mayor, I cannot and will not stand idly by while the rhetoric of conspiracy theorists threatens the health and safety of Chicago’s residents and first responders,” Lightfoot said in a statement. “President Catanzara has time and again deliberately misled our police officers by lying about the requirements of the policy and falsely claiming that there will be no repercussions if officers are insubordinate and refuse to follow a City and Department directive or order.”

All city employees — including members of the Chicago Police Department — have until midnight Friday to tell the city whether they are fully vaccinated against COVID-19. Those who are not can avoid discipline by agreeing to be tested twice a week, on their own time and at their own expense, until Dec. 31.
https://news.wttw.com/2021/10/15/sto...oot-asks-judge

Old 10-15-2021, 09:18 AM

2,378 posts, read 1,316,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
lol and cops that are off on sick leave have to be replaced by other cops getting overtime, are you aware of that? And the delta variant does not spare the young, they might not die from covid but they have a real good chance of getting it and will be off work on quarantine when they do, who pays for that?
Not all police departments operate that way. The NYPD didn’t. Those who request days off would be denied. Pretty much evens out.

You are aware the vaccine doesn’t prevent infection, especially the delta being it has such a high viral load. I’m vaccinated and I contracted covid and so did my wife. You’re not making convincing arguments. How many officers in these police departments are already vaccinated and how many have natural immunity? As I continue to say, police have been working and serving their communities for the past year at the height of this pandemic while there was no vaccine. Why all of a sudden police officers are required to get vaccinated even when the vaccination doesn’t prevent covid?

Old 10-15-2021, 09:20 AM

21,741 posts, read 16,361,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoPro View Post
The flat earth types will claim the studies are bunk, because they believe other anonymous uneducated morons in the internet.
Bingo … lmfao … you’re singing my song. And there’s an army of anonymous armchair *experts* on this forum who hate that tune

Old 10-15-2021, 10:34 AM

6,616 posts, read 4,885,622 times
Natural immunity is unsettled science, with as far as I know no evidence that someone infected, for instance, a year ago to a different variant would have any useful immunity now. As such, it just delays vaccination for some and here is used as a smokescreen for the real reasons for opposing the policy.

Also, police morale suffering is better than the public losing trust in the police and with new blood on the force and maybe some gestures could recover faster. In LA, the police being thought of as hard-core right-wingers would be absolutely poisonous to the public.

Old 10-15-2021, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post

I believe the vaccine is effective. I wouldn’t argue that. I’m vaccinated caught covid, and was just a slight head cold. In fact that’s all I thought it was and kept going to work and I do some physical labor. It wasn’t until I lost my sense of taste and smell I knew this wasn’t a normal head cold. I wonder to myself how worse it would have been if I wasn’t vaccinated? We also shouldn’t be dismissing natural immunity and how effective natural immunity is. I support the vaccine, I reject vaccine mandates.

Old 10-15-2021, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodheathen View Post
Natural immunity is unsettled science, with as far as I know no evidence that someone infected, for instance, a year ago to a different variant would have any useful immunity now. As such, it just delays vaccination for some and here is used as a smokescreen for the real reasons for opposing the policy.

Also, police morale suffering is better than the public losing trust in the police and with new blood on the force and maybe some gestures could recover faster. In LA, the police being thought of as hard-core right-wingers would be absolutely poisonous to the public.
Natural immunity is pretty much settled science. Is natural immunity more effective than the vaccine is what is unsettled. Being that science is unsettled and the affects the vaccine can have on an individual who has been previously infected is also unsettled.

Really, people will lose their public trust in police officers who are not vaccinated? Pfft! Just stop! So police officers who are hard core left wingers are an antidote to the public? What does a police officers political views have to do with how they serve their community? So police should be mindless drones and all think the way a specific group thinks? No individual thoughts? You’re posts are concerning.

I just need to ask, how old are you?

Old 10-15-2021, 11:22 AM

6,616 posts, read 4,885,622 times
Old enough, without being retired.

If the public thinks LAPD is hard-core right-wing philosophically, then there will be all sorts of bad encounters between citizens and police (chiefly race and sexuality as affecting decisions), with the potential for protests and other problems.

I personally don't care what officers believe if it's not extreme and affecting their work-related behavior, but the police chief needs to muzzle public anti-vaccine sentiments in his department due to what they're associated with.

And, no, natural immunity is not settled, because nobody knows how often infection results in months of useful immunity. It's being misrepresented by anti-vaccine people as very reliable protection, few of whom ever mention having protective antibodies per testing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles