Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-14-2021, 01:05 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,294,125 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaughanWilliams33 View Post
Absolutely not. The person you should listen to is yourself. Use your own critical thinking and have confidence in yourself. Stop outsourcing your critical thinking to the "authorities" that are making decisions based on profit.
But you just told us this:
Quote:
Yeah, and it would be nice if we had a real vaccine and one that wasn't full of so many serious health risks. Unfortunately, we will never have an effective and safe vaccine for a coronavirus. Anyone who has a science background would know this.
So I figured that you must have a scientific background and you could explain your comment. Because to be honest, it makes zero sense. A scientist would tell you that there is always a small risk of side effects with any virus, but they are so rare that it is not a valid reason to not get vaccinated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2021, 02:26 PM

108 posts, read 110,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
But you just told us this:

So I figured that you must have a scientific background and you could explain your comment. Because to be honest, it makes zero sense. A scientist would tell you that there is always a small risk of side effects with any virus, but they are so rare that it is not a valid reason to not get vaccinated.
Bottom line here is, I make my statements, and you are free to disagree with them. I just want people to not outsource their decisions on important maters to people who's intentions may not be in your best interest. This is seriously lacking in a lot of people these days. People assume these authorities are more knowledgeable, when they often lack common sense or understanding of basic science.

You claim the risk is small, but we've seen far higher amounts of injuries and death from these vaccines in comparison to our real vaccines. Younger and healthy people are as likely to have a severe injury from the vaccines as they are from dying of covid. Just as important, no one really knows what long term effects are going to be. We won't know for years. What is your plan to help those thousands of people who are injured? They cannot sue big pharma. It's too much risk for someone to take.

Old 10-14-2021, 02:46 PM

21,741 posts, read 16,361,136 times
Quote:
Bottom line here is, I make my statements, and you are free to disagree with them. I just want people to not outsource their decisions on important maters to people who's intentions may not be in your best interest. This is seriously lacking in a lot of people these days. People assume these authorities are more knowledgeable, when they often lack common sense or understanding of basic science.

You claim the risk is small, but we've seen far higher amounts of injuries and death from these vaccines in comparison to our real vaccines. Younger and healthy people are as likely to have a severe injury from the vaccines as they are from dying of covid. Just as important, no one really knows what long term effects are going to be. We won't know for years. What is your plan to help those thousands of people who are injured? They cannot sue big pharma. It's too much risk for someone to take.
And the readers should listen to you instead … because …. ?

Old 10-14-2021, 03:13 PM

14,400 posts, read 14,314,448 times
Quote:

I disagree with practically every statement here. I won't try and argue with all of them. I will pick and choose to spare us redundancy.

To begin with you don't tell us your definition of "long term". Do you think we ought to wait ten years to approve a vaccine for use when we are losing 715,000 lives in twenty months? You don't seem to understand that FDA's obligation in a situation like this is not to eliminate all risk. Its to balance risk against potential benefits and determine whether based on that a medication or vaccine should be given. Keep in mind that even something like aspirin has many risks associated with it. That's what FDA has been doing for decades. It has only got anyone's attention since the coronavirus pandemic has begun.

I also want to point out that some compensation is available for the few (not thousands) of people injured by the vaccines. Compensation has been created under something called "The Countermeasures Act". I'm linking to FAQ's on the government's website.

https://www.hrsa.gov/cicp/faq#covid

Old 10-14-2021, 03:14 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,294,125 times
Quote:

No, we have not seen higher 'amounts of injuries and death from these vaccines' and these are 'real vaccines' and all vaccines carry risk. https://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/vac-gen/side-effects.htm

Old 10-14-2021, 03:26 PM

2,378 posts, read 1,316,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
Why would I need a job? Anyway, I’m already in contact with an unlimited number of disturbed individuals right here on this forum as a hobby

That said, um, you say you are recently retired from NYC cop career? And you don’t agree from your experience that there are numerous kinds of calls better handled by non-uniformed professionals than the armed enforcement resource you worked as? Accident reports? Lost cats? Lost cat-ladies? Yes, and non-violent, mentally distressed / disordered issues? Burglary reports / investigations after the act? Crime scene / accident scene management after event?

I have had a considerable number of close relationships with career law enforcement who all rolled eyes about the tedium and poor application of armed enforcement to the above list. Besides a close cousin and my best boyhood friend both retired from big city careers, and several lesser friendships of note with cops, I am pretty good friends with a now-retired chief of a very major N.American city department. We talk over the years. Especially the former chief seems to feel utilization of other professionals for certain tasks is a better path. (By the way, as an aside, none of these relationships consider me “socially awkward” as you once mused I must be … lol. )

Here’s a link to a recent story about NYC’s embarkment with such reallocation of resources as funding:
Mental Health Response Teams Yield Better Outcomes Than Police In NYC, Data Shows
https://www.npr.org/2021/07/23/10197...-new-york-city

NYC isn’t the first or only department to turn in this direction.
New York's program is modeled after a successful, decades-old program in Eugene, Ore., known as Crisis Assistance Helping Out On The Streets, or CAHOOTS. Other similar programs have launched in California, Colorado, Georgia and Montana.

In Minneapolis, where police killed Floyd last summer, the city will start sending out civil crisis response teams instead of police to certain mental health calls next month.

I can well agree that the term: *Defund the Police* is a pizz-poor one. It may appeal to clueless left-wing-nuts, but it really doesn’t convey the philosophy behind the concept of reallocation.
I do not see how it makes sense to create numerous non-LE non-uniform agencies to handle various calls police routinely respond to. Sounds inefficient, ineffective, and quite complicated. I do agree about EMS and FD responding to non-violent EDP calls. They are trained in handling those situations as police are and they are familiar with the hospital process if it leads to that. Often times EMS respond to EDP calls for they are considered an aided case. I do know compared to other LE agencies, NYPD has among the best records for low incidents in handling EDP’s. I have responded to thousands of EDP calls and had no serious incidents. Crime scenes being processed and investigated by a non-LE agency makes even less sense. Some of the best detectives and investigators became who they are from working the street. You can’t learn it from a book. It takes years of experience being a street cop, answering jobs, making arrests, being proactive, conducting street investigations, interviewing witnesses, knocking on doors, learning how to talk to many various people and the best ways to get info from them, knowing how to interrogate and separate truth from BS. The building cases from under covers and informants. It is to no surprise the NYPD has among the most elite counter terror units in the nation. We have cops posted undercover globally. Some non-LE agency can handle those tasks without the experience of a street cop? What happens when a cop is shot? This civilian agency will conduct the investigation? No Fing way! What about chain of custody issues with evidence? I wouldn’t trust them investigating a simple fender bender, let alone a homicide or robbery pattern. Even knowing and understanding accident prone locations where police can target those locations for enforcement. I do not know who your friends are who would suggest civilians processing crime scenes and conducting such investigations, but I question their time on the street. Why even have a police department then? Just have unarmed civilians handle all police duties.

These are just some of the reasons I can think of off the top of my head. It’s the reasons I can’t think of you should be concerned with why civilians shouldn’t conduct many of the duties police handle.

If a city, town, state, or county wants to reallocate funds and put a greeter in every police station to greet walk ins, by all means. Heck, even put a social worker and psychologist in the back of every RMP (police car) that’s on patrol. That would be fun.

Yup, “defund the police” was a moronic slogan probably coined by some leftist white female suburban woman who lives in mostly white gated community. Ask every law abiding citizen in the ghetto if the police should be defunded. Every one will answer “we need more police.”

Last edited by Nyfinestbxtf; 10-14-2021 at 03:45 PM..

Old 10-14-2021, 03:34 PM

108 posts, read 110,917 times
Quote:
And the readers should listen to you instead … because …. ?
You are free to decide if you think big pharma has good intensions for you. You can decide if the government really cares about your health. You can decide if I have good intentions to help protect the health of anyone who reads this. It's up to you.

Old 10-14-2021, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
Maybe that's how it is in NY but in California they are 'real unions' and do the same thing that other trade unions do
Cab police strike in California? All the Union which is really just an association is negotiate contracts and provides representation when involved in department shenanigans. Our dental, vision, and prescription is also provided through the Union. That’s it. You’re not allowed to strike, have a sick out, or a slow down. If any Union rep ever tells their members to do any of those things is a crime.

In regards to many teacher unions, I find them disgraceful.

Old 10-14-2021, 05:05 PM

13,656 posts, read 9,720,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
Do you think we ought to wait ten years to approve a vaccine for use when we are losing 715,000 lives in twenty months? You don't seem to understand that FDA's obligation in a situation like this is not to eliminate all risk. Its to balance risk against potential benefits and determine whether based on that a medication or vaccine should be given. ...
That's an eminently reasonable position, and such reasoning contributes to why I personally got vaccinated. The trouble occurs not as we advocate for partaking of the vaccine, but in the regulatory state that we erect, to enforce compliance. I have no problem with getting a booster-shot, even if it's annual. I do have a problem with presenting identification-papers to enter a bar or restaurant.

Then there's the whole mask issue. If I'm fully vaccinated and all of my coworkers are fully vaccinated, and we work in a building without visitors or public access, then why must we be wearing masks 100% of the time? Seems to be a bit... excessive, no? And yet, those are the regulations.

So whereas your basic thesis, Mark, is sensible and good, it is by being too aggressive around the margins that persons of good-will become disaffected and pushed into the opposing camp. I never thought that I'd be part of the chest-thumping MAGA brigade, as those folks are more than a few notes short of a full anthem. Nevertheless, the excesses of what can now without much hyperbole be termed the medical-totalitarian state, has turned erstwhile moderates into zealots.

Old 10-14-2021, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Unfortunately, I can’t agree with your hopefulness. From conversations with my small, anecdotal sampling of relationships with [now retired] law enforcement officers - which includes big city department leadership, I suspect, despite the many fine personnel, what you are reading in this forum may be close to a majority.

Your statement in a previous post rings true: so many of the ‘troops’ are out of sync with the larger populations they are supposed to serve.
Markg91315 believes police are suppose to have the same ideology as the communities they serve. That’s absurd and moronic. True, most police officers lean conservative, but whether you’re a police officer in a predominantly red area or a blue area, you serve your communities equally and to the best of your ability with honor and integrity. Many police officers have sacrificed their lives in areas that do not share the same world view. You aren’t required to change your principles and virtues to mirror the community you serve. I don’t even understand that ideology.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles