Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-16-2021, 09:50 AM

14,400 posts, read 14,314,448 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
The woman who wrote that was lying or didn't do any research. For instance, she claimed that the budget of Austin PD was cut by 1/3 when the operating budget was actually cut by less than 5% most of what appears to be a 'cut' is part of a plan to decouple the 911 call center, forensics and internal affairs and either make them independent or part of another department. https://theaustinbulldog.org/did-aus...e-the-numbers/

The article claims that the Police budget of Washington DC was cut by 15% when the money diverted from the Police budget actually represents only 2% of their budget. https://www.wusa9.com/article/news/v...1-6e0e8d8de384

As far as defunding the Police causing an increase in crime? Nope, there is little to no correlation - why? Because cities that did increased police funding had similar increases duh
https://www.chicagotribune.com/natio...akm-story.html
The reason that violent crime jumped this last year is undoubtedly because of all the issues caused by coronavirus. People who are out of work--even if they are drawing benefits--are likely to be more angry, more frustrated, and certainly have more time on their hands. More couples and families have been isolated as a result of disease prevention measures in the last twenty months than at any time in modern history.

I personally do not support cutting funding for the police. However, I don't believe funding reductions--or talk of them--has anything to do with the increase in crime.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2021, 12:05 PM

6,616 posts, read 4,885,622 times
Meanwhile in the state of Washington
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/ju...?ocid=msedgntp

Old 10-16-2021, 01:09 PM

2,378 posts, read 1,316,128 times
Quote:
The woman who wrote that was lying or didn't do any research. For instance, she claimed that the budget of Austin PD was cut by 1/3 when the operating budget was actually cut by less than 5% most of what appears to be a 'cut' is part of a plan to decouple the 911 call center, forensics and internal affairs and either make them independent or part of another department. https://theaustinbulldog.org/did-aus...e-the-numbers/

The article claims that the Police budget of Washington DC was cut by 15% when the money diverted from the Police budget actually represents only 2% of their budget. https://www.wusa9.com/article/news/v...1-6e0e8d8de384

As far as defunding the Police causing an increase in crime? Nope, there is little to no correlation - why? Because cities that did increased police funding had similar increases duh
https://www.chicagotribune.com/natio...akm-story.html
The articles you posted are spin making excuses for the explosive crime rates in our major cities when in fact many cities had cut their police budgets. It is not a coincidence when police budgets are cut there is a rise in crime and this rise in crime is unprecedented. Most likely not only due to police budgets cuts, but also to the Ferguson effect. Police officers will be reluctant to be proactive. Once the toothpaste is out of the tube, it’s hard to get back in. I was a patrol officer for 20 years in the Bronx and I will tell you, I stopped being as proactive when the climate to policing went downhill where we were no longer the good guys. I signed the dotted line to surrender my life if it came to it, I did not sign the dotted line to be made a national example out of for doing my job. I got to the point of just hitting my 20 and getting the hell out of there. The saying went “pension preservation.”

I would never and have never ignored a crime and no police officer would that was happening in front of them. I was at the point of, unless I had probable cause, I wasn’t making a stop. My policing went from proactive to reactive.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.wsj...me-11622066307

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.usa...m/amp/96446504

Old 10-16-2021, 01:25 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,294,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyfinestbxtf View Post
The articles you posted are spin making excuses for the explosive crime rates in our major cities when in fact many cities had cut their police budgets. It is not a coincidence when police budgets are cut there is a rise in crime and this rise in crime is unprecedented. Most likely not only due to police budgets cuts, but also to the Ferguson effect. Police officers will be reluctant to be proactive. Once the toothpaste is out of the tube, it’s hard to get back in. I was a patrol officer for 20 years in the Bronx and I will tell you, I stopped being as proactive when the climate to policing went downhill where we were no longer the good guys. I signed the dotted line to surrender my life if it came to it, I did not sign the dotted line to be made a national example out of for doing my job. I got to the point of just hitting my 20 and getting the hell out of there. The saying went “pension preservation.”

I would never and have never ignored a crime and no police officer would that was happening in front of them. I was at the point of, unless I had probable cause, I wasn’t making a stop. My policing went from proactive to reactive.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.wsj...me-11622066307

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.usa...m/amp/96446504
I provided you with sources that can be verified quite easily so miss me with the "spin making excuses" "cops will be reluctant to be proactive" lololol nothing new about that, I've lived in Sac County for 5 years and have yet to see a cop patrol this area. They only respond to 911 calls and if you really need one you can usually find them at Mountain Mike's pizza or Dutch Bros. coffee. A house near us where the residents were in the process of moving out was burglarized. My adult son saw the door open and no one was home. The door had been kicked in breaking the hinges out of the casing. He called Sac Sheriff and they said they were really busy and could he just find someway to secure the door and leave a note for the owner to make an online report. Cops are proactive when they have an involved Police Chief, if they don't they quickly find that it's easier and safer to do as little as possible - it has NOTHING to do with Ferguson or police budgets.

Old 10-16-2021, 02:10 PM

4,433 posts, read 2,455,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodheathen View Post
Meanwhile in the state of Washington
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/ju...?ocid=msedgntp

They're at 90% coverage? Wow. With so many vaccinated, I question a hard-nosed approach to dealing with those who still aren't. I guess we'll have to see what happens next week. I'm also guessing the plaintiffs will continue to appeal this. The case isn't without concerns if you read the specifics. Some of the petitioners have legitimate cause and documented exemptions are arbitrary in a lot of instances.

Necessary and beneficial as it may be, this is a good example of how a vaccine mandate shouldn't be carried out.

Old 10-16-2021, 02:32 PM

108 posts, read 110,917 times
Quote:
That's just drama talk and you know it.
I wish it were. Look around -- the country is on the brink of collapse.

Old 10-16-2021, 03:04 PM

6,616 posts, read 4,885,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joosoon View Post
They're at 90% coverage? Wow. With so many vaccinated, I question a hard-nosed approach to dealing with those who still aren't. I guess we'll have to see what happens next week. I'm also guessing the plaintiffs will continue to appeal this. The case isn't without concerns if you read the specifics. Some of the petitioners have legitimate cause and documented exemptions are arbitrary in a lot of instances.

Necessary and beneficial as it may be, this is a good example of how a vaccine mandate shouldn't be carried out.
I said weeks ago I wouldn't take such a harsh approach with a good vaccination rate like that, but maybe it wasn't as good before the mandate was talked up. Regardless, it shows legal challenges are unlikely to succeed. Government, like a private company, can require behaviors that employees don't have a say in.

Old 10-16-2021, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joosoon View Post

I admit I didn't read every page but all I saw was a vague claim of "allergies and other illnesses"? I have allergies the vaccine didn't make them better or worse...Anyhoo they lost so let's move on

Old 10-16-2021, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaughanWilliams33 View Post
I wish it were. Look around -- the country is on the brink of collapse.
I've heard that about 100 times in my lifetime and it ain't happened yet so I'm not going to get my go bag out quite yet

Old 10-16-2021, 04:22 PM

2,378 posts, read 1,316,128 times
Quote:
I provided you with sources that can be verified quite easily so miss me with the "spin making excuses" "cops will be reluctant to be proactive" lololol nothing new about that, I've lived in Sac County for 5 years and have yet to see a cop patrol this area. They only respond to 911 calls and if you really need one you can usually find them at Mountain Mike's pizza or Dutch Bros. coffee. A house near us where the residents were in the process of moving out was burglarized. My adult son saw the door open and no one was home. The door had been kicked in breaking the hinges out of the casing. He called Sac Sheriff and they said they were really busy and could he just find someway to secure the door and leave a note for the owner to make an online report. Cops are proactive when they have an involved Police Chief, if they don't they quickly find that it's easier and safer to do as little as possible - it has NOTHING to do with Ferguson or police budgets.
As I stated, when you push for a “defund the police” mantra, you’re inviting more crime in that area. I don’t know about Sac county or where that even is. I’m guessing it if you never seen a cop car in that entire county in your five years of living there except for them getting pizza or a donut? I imagine this county is quite privileged?Thank your lucky stars you live in a neighborhood that doesn’t require much of a police presence. I worked in a neighborhood that did. I couldn’t tell you the misery I saw with my own eyes. So it’s in your opinion police officers do as little as possible? What do you do for a living?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles