Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-19-2021, 06:09 PM

26,747 posts, read 26,841,237 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesjuke View Post
Offit is operating on a wrong assumption.
Maybe you can tell us what he incorrectly assumed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2021, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaughanWilliams33 View Post
Yes, many schools did require shots. But there are a few important details you're leaving out.

1. The shots were extremely safe.
There have been plenty of parents who believe that the MMR, the Tdap, etc., are "not safe." Look it up. Just because people believe something does not make it true.

Quote:
2. They were real vaccines -- not experimental vaccines that have shown no ability to stop covid.
"Real" vaccines? And what are you reading that leads you to believe that the vaccines do not reduce the spread of COVID-19?

Quote:
3. Parents always had a way around it if they wanted -- personal, religious or health reason.
In 2015, California passed SB 277, becoming then the third state to remove personal belief exemptions from the state’s mandatory vaccine schedule.

Old 10-19-2021, 06:59 PM

6,616 posts, read 4,888,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyfinestbxtf View Post
That’s an absurd claim. The majority of minorities are Democrats and blacks and Hispanics are less likely to be vaccinated.
There isn't a real American-raised white community in LA (for example, Irish pride), and my guess is most of LAPD that lives outside the county is white and white cops usually are conservative. People with local ties very likely will give in to the mandate. I don't expect LAPD to release such vaccination statistics, though if I'm correct the police force will become more brown at an accelerated rate and those numbers will be available in a year or two.

Last edited by goodheathen; 10-19-2021 at 08:17 PM..

Old 10-19-2021, 07:30 PM

108 posts, read 110,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
There have been plenty of parents who believe that the MMR, the Tdap, etc., are "not safe." Look it up. Just because people believe something does not make it true.

"Real" vaccines? And what are you reading that leads you to believe that the vaccines do not reduce the spread of COVID-19?

In 2015, California passed SB 277, becoming then the third state to remove personal belief exemptions from the state’s mandatory vaccine schedule.

1. It's true that some people believe that MMR and common vaccines are unsafe. There is a very small risk that will always exist, but it's a tiny percentage of children who die from them. I wouldn't consider them dangerous, but I respect a parent's choice for their children. Would much rather have parents decide than govenrnments.

2. The mrna vaccines are not real vaccines in the traditional sense. They do not work in the same way that a tetanus shot does. We've seen huge increases in cases in countries like Singapore, Israel, the UK and pretty much everywhere that is highly vaccinated. We've actually seen more people get covid this year in the late summer than we saw last year without any vaccines. There's a lot of alarming stats that show the vaccines do not work.

3. That may be true. I was speaking more about where I grew up in the midwest. Parents can still use a religious exemption. James Hetfield of Metallica, he never got any shots because his parents were part of the Christian Science church.

Old 10-19-2021, 09:40 PM

14,400 posts, read 14,321,986 times
Quote:
Yes, many schools did require shots. But there are a few important details you're leaving out.

1. The shots were extremely safe. Very rarely did anyone get injured or die from them.
2. They were real vaccines -- not experimental vaccines that have shown no ability to stop covid.
3. Parents always had a way around it if they wanted -- personal, religious or health reason.
1. There is some minor amount of risk to any vaccine. I analogize it in this way. It is probably more dangerous to drive to a vaccine clinic for a shot and risk injury in a car accident than to get a vaccine.

2. The J & J vaccine is made in a traditional way. The Pfizer and Moderna vaccines are MRNA vaccines. Both have hugely effective in preventing serious Covid 19. That to me is a "real" vaccine. All are extremely safe. You constantly claim they are not, but have no real data that shows otherwise.

3. Parents shouldn't automatically have a way around vaccinating. Exemptions should be narrow and well-founded. Medical exemptions, of course, are fine. Religious exemptions are tolerable to me as long as very specific requirements have to be met to obtain them and it doesn't just boil down to someone saying: "I don't want the Covid vaccine". The new trend is for schools to drop the personal belief exemption to vaccination. Its about time.

Old 10-19-2021, 11:20 PM

5,267 posts, read 4,185,431 times
Quote:
That wasn't the point, though; the mandates are apparently succeeding in getting more people to get vaccinated. Scroll back. The point was not whether some Texas-based airline is or isn't going to enforce a mandate.
Huh? People are being fired all over the country so apparently a mandate is to do what your told or else lose your lively hood.

Old 10-20-2021, 12:09 AM

108 posts, read 110,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
1. There is some minor amount of risk to any vaccine. I analogize it in this way. It is probably more dangerous to drive to a vaccine clinic for a shot and risk injury in a car accident than to get a vaccine.

2. The J & J vaccine is made in a traditional way. The Pfizer and Moderna vaccines are MRNA vaccines. Both have hugely effective in preventing serious Covid 19. That to me is a "real" vaccine. All are extremely safe. You constantly claim they are not, but have no real data that shows otherwise.

3. Parents shouldn't automatically have a way around vaccinating. Exemptions should be narrow and well-founded. Medical exemptions, of course, are fine. Religious exemptions are tolerable to me as long as very specific requirements have to be met to obtain them and it doesn't just boil down to someone saying: "I don't want the Covid vaccine". The new trend is for schools to drop the personal belief exemption to vaccination. Its about time.
2. The J&J shot isn't truly a traditional vaccine. It has also been paused or canceled because of the blood clot issue. It's not extremely safe relative to the real vaccines we've had for decades.

No real data? Check out VAERS. The total amount of VAERS reports in the last year are more than the entire 30 years combined. There was a Facebook group that was dedicated to vaccine injuries from the covid shots. Had over 250,000 members and then poof -- Zuckerberg deleted it. Jimmy Dore was severely hurt from the vaccines. Eric Clapton was severely injured from the vaccines. NBA star Brandon Goodwin had his career ended because the vaccine damaged his health so bad. Also, I know of a few people right here in Los Angeles who were injured from the vaccines. If you don't see a problem with what I've mentioned, then you're being intellectually dishonest.

3. It's not up to you to decide that -- you're not special. America decided a long time ago that individuals should have their own freedom of choice. That is the beauty of this country. You can go get your 17 booster shots, and your neighbor can get no shots if he/she wants to. If you're okay with vaccine mandates, then I'm sure you're okay with a state denying abortion, right? I'm both pro-choice on abortion and pro-choice for vaccines. That's the only way.

Old 10-20-2021, 07:11 AM

Quote:
2. The J&J shot isn't truly a traditional vaccine.
It is, in fact, a "real" vaccine; it uses a disabled adenovirus to deliver the instructions to your cells instead of using mRNA.

Quote:
It has also been paused or canceled because of the blood clot issue.
Not cancelled. A small number of women developed rare blood clots with low levels of platelets (thrombosis with thrombocytopenia syndrome, or TTS) after being vaccinated with the J&J vaccine. We were never informed if these women were on birth control pills or had some other preexisting condition. The FDA and CDC paused the vaccine and investigated to determine the connection between the vaccine and TTS.

Old 10-20-2021, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Eric Clapton was severely injured from the vaccines
Clapton has repeatedly used his vast platform to do his utmost to undermine expert medical advice. He claimed that he was experiencing temporary adverse reactions to the Astrazeneca vaccine, but detailed symptoms he'd disclosed as early as 2013 and previously blamed on neurological problems.

Eric Clapton's Covid vaccine conspiracies mark a sad final act:
https://www.nbcnews.com/think/opinio...ct-ncna1281619

Old 10-20-2021, 09:17 AM

6,616 posts, read 4,888,687 times
Quote:
Clapton has repeatedly used his vast platform to do his utmost to undermine expert medical advice. He claimed that he was experiencing temporary adverse reactions to the Astrazeneca vaccine, but detailed symptoms he'd disclosed as early as 2013 and previously blamed on neurological problems.

Eric Clapton's Covid vaccine conspiracies mark a sad final act:
https://www.nbcnews.com/think/opinio...ct-ncna1281619
Yeah, the message Clapton has pushed is terrible. He seems to have been in a no-win situation professionally and medically, where he has was at high risk of problems from both vaccination and the virus, and we know which one was higher risk of death.

Speaking of terrible, what someone is trying to do in this thread, against forum policy? I looked up the other two supposed cases. One is a comedian who seems to love publicity, and I saw no evidence he had any severe reaction, just one that was longer than normal. The other is pure assertion from an NBA player with not much job security and nothing that required emergency treatment. Bottom line it's a lack of character to keep posting disinformation against a life-saving tool.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles