Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-19-2021, 03:34 PM

6,616 posts, read 4,888,687 times

Advertisements

It's coming. Government doesn't want to be sued and have to reinstate and give back pay, and probably is dotting the letters now to avoid that. Also, plans have to be in place for finding new police. I don't know if new recruits are graduating around now, and also some veterans would need to be lured from other police departments. If I were LAPD, I'd openly bring some in for interviews now, to show how close the end is for police who refuse to be vaccinated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2021, 03:34 PM

26,747 posts, read 26,841,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finper View Post
People may be getting the vax to keep their job now but next election they will remember this.
Kind of like they remembered for the Newsom recall?

Old 10-19-2021, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaughanWilliams33 View Post
Southwest Airlines just announced they will not be enforcing them anymore.
Southwest, American airlines workers will have to get vaccinated, despite Texas order:
https://www.politico.com/news/2021/1...ployees-515801

Old 10-19-2021, 04:24 PM

108 posts, read 110,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
Southwest, American airlines workers will have to get vaccinated, despite Texas order:
https://www.politico.com/news/2021/1...ployees-515801
That was correct, as of 10/12. We're at 10/19 now and things have changed. People staying home caused the disruption needed to stop the mandates (for existing employees). They are still trying to push for the vaccine for new hires, but they'll reverse that decision once they have trouble finding new people.

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/10/19/sout...xemptions.html

Old 10-19-2021, 05:12 PM

780 posts, read 508,363 times
The US is a representative democracy, not a republic, and when I was in school, EVERY KID had to have their shots, and when my kids were in school, the school districts made a huge deal out of shot records and you had to have them, up to date, to get your kid in public or even private school.

Old 10-19-2021, 05:18 PM

108 posts, read 110,961 times
Yes, many schools did require shots. But there are a few important details you're leaving out.

1. The shots were extremely safe. Very rarely did anyone get injured or die from them.
2. They were real vaccines -- not experimental vaccines that have shown no ability to stop covid.
3. Parents always had a way around it if they wanted -- personal, religious or health reason.

Old 10-19-2021, 05:51 PM

2,378 posts, read 1,317,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW R1100 View Post
The US is a representative democracy, not a republic, and when I was in school, EVERY KID had to have their shots, and when my kids were in school, the school districts made a huge deal out of shot records and you had to have them, up to date, to get your kid in public or even private school.
It’s actually a republic, but yes, you can call it a representative democracy. Same thing as I understand it. What we are not is a direct democracy. Our Founders wrote against a pure democracy. That’s why we have a representative government rather than a democracy.

Every state is different and all vaccines for children entering school is up to each state to decide. The federal government has zero authority in mandating any vaccine shots for children. The data doesn’t show children should require the covid shot when only 20 children who were healthy without any comorbidities died of covid. I think just under 400 children in total has died of covid. Say for instance, you cannot compare the measles vaccine to the covid shot due to the measles being high risk to children.

Old 10-19-2021, 06:01 PM

2,378 posts, read 1,317,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
The ones who refuse to get vaccinated are not the ones who support democrats, but with any luck they will all move to Idaho
That’s an absurd claim. The majority of minorities are Democrats and blacks and Hispanics are less likely to be vaccinated.

Old 10-19-2021, 06:04 PM

27,159 posts, read 15,334,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
"Afraid" would probably be the wrong word.

“When people ask me, ‘What’s the worst thing that anti-vaccine people say,’ it’s when they say, ‘What do you care what I do? You’re vaccinated,'” Dr. Paul Offit, director of the Vaccine Education Center at the Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia, told us in a phone interview.

Offit said that thinking is based, in part, on the incorrect assumption that the vaccines are 100% effective at preventing an infection or illness, which is not true of any vaccine.

"In a Sept. 17 update on COVID-19 epidemiology and vaccines, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention included an analysis of several studies conducted in the U.S. and other countries on vaccine effectiveness against the delta variant. The update said that since the introduction of delta, vaccine effectiveness against hospitalization ranged from 75% to 95% and effectiveness against infection ranged from 39% to 84% — depending on the region. That compared with a pre-delta range of 84% to 97% effectiveness against hospitalization and a range of 72% to 97% effectiveness against infection.

“Even if you’ve gotten a vaccine there is still a chance,” albeit a “much lower” one, “that you can get symptomatic infection” after contracting the virus from an unvaccinated person, Offit explained. “There is still a chance that you can get serious infection and there is still a chance you can be hospitalized or die from that infection.”
Offit is operating on a wrong assumption.

Old 10-19-2021, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaughanWilliams33 View Post
Southwest Airlines just announced they will not be enforcing them anymore. .
That wasn't the point, though; the mandates are apparently succeeding in getting more people to get vaccinated. Scroll back. The point was not whether some Texas-based airline is or isn't going to enforce a mandate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles