Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2008, 11:24 AM

5 posts, read 64,384 times

Advertisements

I'd like to know how people rate the safety of the area around Lemon Grove and Western (between Melrose and Santa Monica). I am also wondering if the neighborhood is improving, getting worse, staying the same, etc.

I'd like to hear from people who have lived around there, or currently live there, if possible.

I have lived in mixed income, urban neighborhoods for my entire adult life, and am not looking for a suburban gated community level of safety. Just want to know how it ranks in LA, and if you'd live there.

My bf and I just moved there but are having doubts about the neighborhood, based on some things we've seen. We are trying to decide whether to break our lease and move. My concern is that street parking is really tight, so if the neighborhood is not safe, then we don't really want to be walking blocks and blocks at night alone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2008, 06:38 PM

Bumping this. Can anybody help?

And adding that I am less concerned about your run of the mill car break ins, which are a part of city life, and more concerned about violent thefts, muggings, etc.

Old 05-22-2008, 06:47 PM

Last attempt to bump. Anybody out there with some input?

I keep going back and forth between thinking this is a fine neighborhood if I just keep alert, and thinking it is more dangerous than the lower rent is worth...

Old 05-22-2008, 06:49 PM

81 posts, read 339,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LindSea View Post
I'd like to know how people rate the safety of the area around Lemon Grove and Western (between Melrose and Santa Monica). I am also wondering if the neighborhood is improving, getting worse, staying the same, etc.

I'd like to hear from people who have lived around there, or currently live there, if possible.

I have lived in mixed income, urban neighborhoods for my entire adult life, and am not looking for a suburban gated community level of safety. Just want to know how it ranks in LA, and if you'd live there.

My bf and I just moved there but are having doubts about the neighborhood, based on some things we've seen. We are trying to decide whether to break our lease and move. My concern is that street parking is really tight, so if the neighborhood is not safe, then we don't really want to be walking blocks and blocks at night alone.
All I know is that when I hear the street "Western" I cringe. No, it isn't a great part of the city.

By the way, you can't break a lease because you are trying to say the area is unsafe. Your landlord will look at you and just laugh. It is your responsibility to research the area first.

Last edited by xyzxyz; 05-22-2008 at 07:00 PM..

Old 05-22-2008, 07:11 PM

I am not planning on claiming ignorance to the landlord to break the lease-- I will deal with the consequences if I decide to leave. But thank you for the comment on the safety question.

Old 05-22-2008, 08:19 PM

5,612 posts, read 15,115,593 times
I lived near that intersection for one year and while it wasn't the cleanest neighborhood. I never felt unsafe and I never had any problems. This was about 5 - 10 years ago. I've visited since then but it looks about the same.

Old 05-22-2008, 08:48 PM

422 posts, read 1,819,086 times
Dense but reasonably safe compared to many other areas, IMHO.

Old 05-22-2008, 09:22 PM

6 posts, read 26,867 times
It is not a good area.

Old 05-23-2008, 03:22 PM

174 posts, read 516,822 times
I live a bit to the north of the neighborhood you cite, and have been here for five years. There are FAR worse neighborhoods in which to reside in Los Angeles. Cleanliness, and safety issues would give the area around Western Ave. between Melrose and Santa Monica a medium rating. There are nutcases and thieves, but not the desperate, and often violent, crack addicts you will find farther to the south.
Let's face it. Ozzie and Harriet's world costs at least a half a million and mostly exists west of the 405 freeway.

Old 07-19-2008, 04:15 PM

530 posts, read 1,130,926 times
Default Yes I live there also!

OMG I just bought a house by the Lemon Grove Park/ Melrose Hill neighborhood. I have lived here for a year and there have been about 5 shootings in this area where one guy was injured, one killed, an apartment building down the street shot up, car shot up, a man down the street at the convenient store stabbed badly. I am freaking out!

I am a female from the South. I am not use to this GANG thing. This city is beyond retarded allowing this crap to happen. I had to pay over $30,000.00 (for two properties) in property taxes for 2007 to live with this CRAP!!!?????????? and I cannot even put up a 6' fence in the front of my house with tall bushes to prevent from these nuts breaking in to my house???? I was fined $600 because my bushed were tooo high.

They say this is a historic area. Well sorry it may be a so called historic area/neighborhood but I rather BE SAFE or at least feel safe.

Oh I NEVER, NEVER walk around at night. My boyfriend does not allow me to. He does just a little to go to the convenient stores but that is about it. We drive everywhere. It is a shame.

It is also a shame that we cannot enjoy the LemonGrove park down the street. We drive to Griffith, not too far!

Oh did you ask your landlord (I am a landlord also) before you moved in if the area was a "gang area" or shall I say "gang territory"? Because I just looked up the territories for gangs in Hollywood and guess what this area is MS13 territory. SO DAMN SCARY!

I was thinking of renting my house out and renting in a safer area.

Something is seriously wrong with California in those regards mentioned!

Take care and good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles