Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2009, 09:43 PM

2,184 posts, read 5,551,537 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahkate_m View Post
You're so cool you live where the drive by shooting statistics have improved. I harken from a place where the drive by shootings & car jackings have improved. I grew up in F13 territory... But I got to leave & I'm grateful. It all just is what it is. We're all brothers & sisters but when we grow up we can live where ever we want to. Peace.

I tried to find a way to delete the quoted post a few hours afterward & couldn't figure it out.

I apologize for sounding so uppity & preachy - not sure why I got so hot under the collar. I'm not even sure who it was I was hot at. No one looks particularly menacing.

Of course you live where you live & it isn't so bad. I remember when I would go back to HP in the 90's & stay at a motel when I was visiting & walking around for whatever reason.... it wasn't dangerous... I remember feeling a bit surprised it wasn't as bad as I expected.

When I"m not there & I think about it, I feel skeptical. Now my mom lives in Downey & it's a bit different when I visit. It just feels like another dirty LA city.

Drivin' through Compton at night can make one a bit nervous though, when you know you don't live there. Almost everyone admits that.

In the 70's the streets in Compton were so pretty but you knew the neighborhood was going downhill with random crime. I wish the city would make it safer for the people who live there. They pay taxes & the police should protect them the same as any other city is protected. It's wierd how they let crime fly in one place, but not another. I think I know why & it's unfair.

I hope the streets are still pretty & I hope it's true it's becoming safer. People who live there deserve it. It would be cool if famous musicians from there could give back to their community. Maybe they do. Holler out if they do

Last edited by sarahkate_m; 08-23-2009 at 09:45 PM.. Reason: trying for conciseness

Old 08-24-2009, 09:43 PM

167 posts, read 435,279 times
havent been to Compton at night in a while now but it wasnt that bad. For those who have only hear or see compton through movies, tv or rap I say dont believe ALL the hype, but at the same time dont go in their thinking its gentrified. If you attract attention then you might have some problems

Old 08-24-2009, 10:35 PM

29 posts, read 97,363 times
People say don't wear blue or red in gang areas. Ok, so I wear green. I have a blue car. Would that **** anyone off?

Old 08-24-2009, 10:40 PM

1 posts, read 1,773,126 times
I would never get out of my car and step foot in Compton. Driving through it isn't too bad though.

Old 08-25-2009, 03:07 AM

2 posts, read 6,795 times
it so exagerated its not even funny

Old 08-25-2009, 03:35 AM

723 posts, read 1,634,476 times
I have friends that either live or have lived in Compton. I have lived pretty close myself in North LB and Paramount. It is not like NWA describes on every corner. I (white boy) will get out of my car at night, after taking a good look around first. There are times I decided not to get out of my car because I didn't trust who I saw. Once or twice, I may have been a little overly cautious, but some of those times, I would have been a dumb white boy who just got robbed and maybe worse, if I did get out. The bottom line though is, if you have no business in Compton, you have no business in Compton. Best to keep it that way.

Old 08-25-2009, 01:40 PM

5,408 posts, read 12,665,367 times
did you mean HP is another dirty LA city? or downey is another dirty LA city?

either way, that characterization might be off, even with respect to HP. its not as bad as people think. there are far worse areas.

Quote:
I tried to find a way to delete the quoted post a few hours afterward & couldn't figure it out.

I apologize for sounding so uppity & preachy - not sure why I got so hot under the collar. I'm not even sure who it was I was hot at. No one looks particularly menacing.

Of course you live where you live & it isn't so bad. I remember when I would go back to HP in the 90's & stay at a motel when I was visiting & walking around for whatever reason.... it wasn't dangerous... I remember feeling a bit surprised it wasn't as bad as I expected.

When I"m not there & I think about it, I feel skeptical. Now my mom lives in Downey & it's a bit different when I visit. It just feels like another dirty LA city.

Drivin' through Compton at night can make one a bit nervous though, when you know you don't live there. Almost everyone admits that.

In the 70's the streets in Compton were so pretty but you knew the neighborhood was going downhill with random crime. I wish the city would make it safer for the people who live there. They pay taxes & the police should protect them the same as any other city is protected. It's wierd how they let crime fly in one place, but not another. I think I know why & it's unfair.

I hope the streets are still pretty & I hope it's true it's becoming safer. People who live there deserve it. It would be cool if famous musicians from there could give back to their community. Maybe they do. Holler out if they do

Old 08-25-2009, 02:03 PM

2,184 posts, read 5,551,537 times
Default a dirty city

Quote:
Originally Posted by the one View Post
did you mean HP is another dirty LA city? or downey is another dirty LA city?

either way, that characterization might be off, even with respect to HP. its not as bad as people think. there are far worse areas.
I haven't been back to HP in about 15 years: no business there. I know it's changed because of all the condos that have gone in. Property ownership is good for tax revenues. They don't have such a bad rep there anymore, at least on the news I hear.

I was referring to Downey looking like another dirty city.

I didn't mean the residential streets, though. Those are quite the opposite.

The residential streets off of Firestone Blvd on either side are beautiful - especially the farther you get from Firestone.

The business streets simply look like typical dirty LA to me. Haven't been back there since 2004 *sad sigh* but that's how I remember it.

Old 08-25-2009, 06:26 PM

5,408 posts, read 12,665,367 times
you should go back. downey is far from a typical dirty city or street like you would find in LA.

even the streets in downey that have the most apt complexes and such are not as bad as the dirty ones in LA. for garbage check out the area around 8th and alvarado or santa monica and vine. no streets in HP or downey look like that . trust me.

Quote:
I haven't been back to HP in about 15 years: no business there. I know it's changed because of all the condos that have gone in. Property ownership is good for tax revenues. They don't have such a bad rep there anymore, at least on the news I hear.

I was referring to Downey looking like another dirty city.

I didn't mean the residential streets, though. Those are quite the opposite.

The residential streets off of Firestone Blvd on either side are beautiful - especially the farther you get from Firestone.

The business streets simply look like typical dirty LA to me. Haven't been back there since 2004 *sad sigh* but that's how I remember it.

Old 08-25-2009, 07:48 PM

2 posts, read 20,987 times
Agree upstairs
Go back Guys.Thsi city is not so bad
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles