Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2009, 08:05 PM

5,113 posts, read 19,768,787 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike121 View Post
This makes me wonder. Every movie theater I go to seems to have plenty of employees. Where do they live? How do they make ends meet?
with their parents, grandparents, or college housing loans
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2009, 09:08 PM

13 posts, read 30,125 times
Default You ain't kidding...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhcompy View Post
with their parents, grandparents, or college housing loans
Had to reply to this and say exactly right. I do reside with my father. I used to work just weekends and no other job which is why I've been stuck here this long. My trip to scout LA alone cost upwards of $530. I also recently purchased a laptop (which I'm using) and it cost $636. So I did have money and if I kept my money, I'd have just under $2500.

I couldn't even afford an apartment here for what I make. I do know someone I work with who has a roommate but he gets 34 hours a week at the most. Working at a movie theatre sucks. I do not recommend it but I'm stuck. Like it has been mentioned before, nothing else is left job-wise. I did make $400 for four days work for the IRS back when I was a temp. That's the most I ever made. Those were the days. Alas, it was a very physically demanding job and I couldn't ever get there on time using my stupid local county bus and a cab put together.

I couldn't even get a job before the recession. Nobody likes me on paper. And I'm older than almost all my managers. So weird.

Just thought I'd clue you in to my world and how much it sucks.

Old 02-24-2009, 09:45 AM

28 posts, read 67,142 times
Default Alright...

Scriptchick.

Think about the performers you admire. How did they make it? Did they have support from their family? Did they have to rough it on their own? Did they start or LA, or did they end in LA? Be ready to do everything they did, if you don't have the resources they did when they started out...know that you have to make up for that difference in some way. Find your own way. Anyone who says you can't is closed minded and inexperienced.

I'm a musician living in Kansas City, Missouri with a budgeted plan to move to Santa Monica in August 2009. I lack the resources that most artists I admire had while they were developing their career. I could not live in LA on a part-time budget in Santa Monica. I've worked tremendously hard to develop a non-entertainment/professional (read as: dependable) career as a computer network technician. I have 3 industry standard certifications and no college degree. I've been emailing my future employer in Santa Monica for 6 months and asking him things like, "Which certifications would be a benefit to your business?" And when he responds I buy training materials and work toward achieving that goal. I won't let him down, because I have a message to share with the world. My future employer has been thrilled to have someone plan to be EXACTLY what he needs, and I'm confident that I will be his first choice when a position opens up...but I will have 15,000 dollars tucked away in case that takes a couple months due to the economy. I'm also not mentioning my musical ambitions.

The artists I've worked in with in Kansas City lack the vision I plan to share, and I know that people like me thrive in LA. I have recorded in North Hollywood before. My band and I stayed with a fellow out there in his apartment while his room mate was away. I drove for three days to LA from KC without knowing where I was going to stay when I got there. I hopped on my laptop at a pizza shop with wireless in NoHo and looked around craigslist for people willing to let myself and my band stay with them for a week. We stayed in a room that was within walking distance to the studio and had a blast. The recording went swimmingly.

My point is that I've always had the mindset that when I want something...I will HAVE it no matter what. Fear keeps you safe, but it won't ever satisfy you. Do I think you need a better plan to move to LA? Probably.

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 02-24-2009 at 08:18 PM.. Reason: Language/racist comment

Old 02-24-2009, 10:15 AM

Default Good looking out...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrQuincy View Post
Scriptchick.

Think about the performers you admire. How did they make it? Did they have support from their family? Did they have to rough it on their own? Did they start or LA, or did they end in LA? Be ready to do everything they did, if you don't have the resources they did when they started out...know that you have to make up for that difference in some way. Find your own way. Anyone who says you can't is closed minded and inexperienced.

I'm a musician living in Kansas City, Missouri with a budgeted plan to move to Santa Monica in August 2009. I lack the resources that most artists I admire had while they were developing their career. I could not live in LA on a part-time budget in Santa Monica. I've worked tremendously hard to develop a non-entertainment/professional (read as: dependable) career as a computer network technician. I have 3 industry standard certifications and no college degree. I've been emailing my future employer in Santa Monica for 6 months and asking him things like, "Which certifications would be a benefit to your business?" And when he responds I buy training materials and work toward achieving that goal. I won't let him down, because I have a message to share with the world. My future employer has been thrilled to have someone plan to be EXACTLY what he needs, and I'm confident that I will be his first choice when a position opens up...but I will have 15,000 dollars tucked away in case that takes a couple months due to the economy. I'm also not mentioning my musical ambitions.

The artists I've worked in with in Kansas City lack the vision I plan to share, and I know that people like me thrive in LA. I have recorded in North Hollywood before. My band and I stayed with a fellow out there in his apartment while his room mate was away. I drove for three days to LA from KC without knowing where I was going to stay when I got there. I hopped on my laptop at a pizza shop with wireless in NoHo and looked around craigslist for people willing to let myself and my band stay with them for a week. We stayed in a room that was within walking distance to the studio and had a blast. The recording went swimmingly.

My point is that I've always had the mindset that when I want something...I will HAVE it no matter what. Fear keeps you safe, but it won't ever satisfy you. Do I think you need a better plan to move to LA? Probably.

Thanks for the encouragement. I might just put it off a month, but I'm definitely doing it. No doubt about it. I just want a little more money. If my dad weren't so stingy, I could get a loan from him, but I'd never bother. He gives me enough grief for having to pick me up from work since there's no bus after 6:30 on Saturdays. Gosh, it sucks here.

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 02-24-2009 at 08:18 PM.. Reason: Edited quoted text

Old 02-24-2009, 10:21 AM

I might recommend itemizing a budget. In my experience, 'a little more money' is never enough; I suggest knowing what you're going to need and having the money for it before you go. The only thing more frustrating than not moving to LA to pursue your passion would be to move there, go broke, and move back having nothing to show for it but high interest credit card debt and sand in your car.

Old 02-24-2009, 10:29 AM

236 posts, read 789,490 times
Also, consider not only your living expenses, but the expenses you will incurr toward your career. If you are seriously considering an acting career, you will need money for headshots (reprints as well as original session), classes, workshops, mailings, gas money for auditions, memberships to Nowcasting and others, etc. Those expenses alone could run you $500 to $1,000/mo. minimum if your are seriously hitting the pavement which is what it takes these days. I would definitely recommend making a budget to see how realistic your plan is. Good Luck!

Old 02-24-2009, 10:41 AM

2,497 posts, read 7,479,455 times
MrQuincy is dead on.

ALWAYS get skilled in something that will pay the bills first. Quincy is a computer technician (or something to do with computers I read), that's what I am in college for as we speak. Getting an education, then persuing your personal ambitions would make common sense. It's hard enough to break into the industry, you don't need your 2 or 3 part time jobs at low pay to make it more stressful. You gotta have hopes and dreams, that wonderful, but the road to make them a reality can be bumpy if you don't take some proper steps. Good luck!

Old 02-24-2009, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lesallimc View Post
Also, consider not only your living expenses, but the expenses you will incurr toward your career. If you are seriously considering an acting career, you will need money for headshots (reprints as well as original session), classes, workshops, mailings, gas money for auditions, memberships to Nowcasting and others, etc. Those expenses alone could run you $500 to $1,000/mo. minimum if your are seriously hitting the pavement which is what it takes these days. I would definitely recommend making a budget to see how realistic your plan is. Good Luck!
At the moment, if things don't take off acting-wise, I plan on moving there like any normal person and just settling in and waiting until I can afford headshots and more classes. Just working my job as well as pursuing extra work for more cash. I want to live like normal there for a while 'cause obviously, I'd run out of money quick with all the other stuff. I've always wanted to live in CA since before I was an actress. Of course, I was still a screenwriter, this was at 8 years old, but nonetheless...it doesn't matter that I not be able to get work right away. I just don't want to freeze to death. Ha. It's cold here. And the bus system is better. I won't be wasting money on cab fare. I fit there. Not here. And more auditions in community theatre which I lack greatly here.

Also, about the credit card debt, I don't own one. I have a checking account but plan on opening a savings account when I move. And you people would be surprised how long I could live off of 2000 monthly. I am the MASTER of saving money. Seriously. I've thought this through. I'm ready to make it happen in less than three months. Although, like I said, it'd be great if I had a project lined up. I'm gonna try to make that happen as well.

Old 02-24-2009, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lesallimc View Post
^^^ This is also a key element. I just bought EVERYTHING I need for my musical career so I can take it with me to LA when I go. I spent $4000 on a full featured recording studio before I even started saving the $15,000. It may sound like an insurmountable amount...but I've only been saving since August 2008. I worked 7 days a week for 30 days to afford my recording studio on top of the 15,000 dollar budget-buffer savings account.

I'm particularly heated in this thread because my girlfriend is in your position EXACTLY and wants to come with me to LA. She is contributing $4500 to my budget so that the total equals $15,000. You might consider finding people in your area with motivation and similar aspirations. I'm not saying you should date for money...but I will say that my girlfriend and I have always been career focused and we connect on a deeper level because of our ambitions. The collaborative 15,000 dollars and the promise of splitting 1 br apt rent is certainly beneficial for both of us. Not to mention that everyone I have spoken with who moved to LA from smaller towns says that having a familiar face during the first few years is almost necessary to staying sane.

I also met a girl in Las Vegas who traveled with my band to LA so she could meet up with her abusive boyfriend living in Santa Monica. She was from BFE, Pennsylvania and moved in with him specifically because of his location.

Point being: There are two sides to every coin. Be careful, plan smart. Be logical, persistent and passionate. You can do it!

Old 02-24-2009, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScriptChick27 View Post
At the moment, if things don't take off acting-wise, I plan on moving there like any normal person and just settling in and waiting until I can afford headshots and more classes. Just working my job as well as pursuing extra work for more cash. I want to live like normal there for a while 'cause obviously, I'd run out of money quick with all the other stuff. I've always wanted to live in CA since before I was an actress. Of course, I was still a screenwriter, this was at 8 years old, but nonetheless...it doesn't matter that I not be able to get work right away. I just don't want to freeze to death. Ha. It's cold here. And the bus system is better. I won't be wasting money on cab fare. I fit there. Not here. And more auditions in community theatre which I lack greatly here.

Also, about the credit card debt, I don't own one. I have a checking account but plan on opening a savings account when I move. And you people would be surprised how long I could live off of 2000 monthly. I am the MASTER of saving money. Seriously. I've thought this through. I'm ready to make it happen in less than three months. Although, like I said, it'd be great if I had a project lined up. I'm gonna try to make that happen as well.
It's good to avoid getting in over your head with credit cards, but also keep in mind that paying off credit cards monthly builds the credit you need to afford housing in the future. I didn't mean to imply that your high interest credit card debt would be accrued from frivolous purchases...I'm talking about the kind of credit card debt that comes from having no money for food and needing a line of credit based on a part-time jobs' income to pay for food and rent.

Last edited by MrQuincy; 02-24-2009 at 11:19 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles