Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2009, 03:02 AM

1,203 posts, read 4,419,934 times

Advertisements

I wouldn't do it... that would be a miserable life in LA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2009, 11:34 AM

16 posts, read 48,383 times
ScriptChick27,

Love your attitude and desire. Definitely hoping you take the leap (which it sounds like you will) and will root for your success. You probably already know that the majority of people you will run into in life are too frightened of change to ever pursue their true dreams. They end up never leaving the unhappiness of their town, job, circumstances, spouse, etc. unless they are forced to. The advice from the negative realists are valid, but don't let it prevent you from achieving your goals.

The fact that you will risk all to pursue your dreams already means you have won part of the battle. Can't win big, unless your risk big. The worst thing that will happen is you come out to LA, fail, and then return to a situation that will be hopefully better than the one you are currently in now.

Expect success, but plan for failure. I thought Mr. Quincy had some great thoughts, and he is an example of someone preparing the right way.

Currently living in NYC (but moving to LA in May), you might want to think about NYC. It is a closer trip from Atl and you won't need a car. It won't be any easier, but it might be a way to develop some credentials before you try the studios in SoCal. At the very least, you should be able to score some non-paying gigs on shorts or student films (e.g., NYU) so you can have some credits before you come to LA. I know a couple of surprisingly mediocre-talented people who have managed to get SAG cards and agents while living in NYC (they're my friends, so I have a right to call them such).

Good Luck.

Old 04-17-2009, 12:19 PM

830 posts, read 2,861,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScriptChick27 View Post
At the moment, if things don't take off acting-wise, I plan on moving there like any normal person and just settling in and waiting until I can afford headshots and more classes. Just working my job as well as pursuing extra work for more cash. I want to live like normal there for a while 'cause obviously, I'd run out of money quick with all the other stuff. I've always wanted to live in CA since before I was an actress. Of course, I was still a screenwriter, this was at 8 years old, but nonetheless...it doesn't matter that I not be able to get work right away. I just don't want to freeze to death. Ha. It's cold here. And the bus system is better. I won't be wasting money on cab fare. I fit there. Not here. And more auditions in community theatre which I lack greatly here.

Also, about the credit card debt, I don't own one. I have a checking account but plan on opening a savings account when I move. And you people would be surprised how long I could live off of 2000 monthly. I am the MASTER of saving money. Seriously. I've thought this through. I'm ready to make it happen in less than three months. Although, like I said, it'd be great if I had a project lined up. I'm gonna try to make that happen as well.

A couple of years ago I dated a girl that is in a similar financial situation as yours. She is older than you and works at Barnes & Noble and works 40 hours per week. Doesn't make much money.

She rents a room in a house from a couple down in Hawthorne, which is less expensive than the areas you are looking at. She has a car that barely runs and cannot afford the maintenance on it. She doesn't buy anything other than her bare essentials. There are days I swear she doesn't eat because she can't afford to. When I would take her out to dinner she ate like she had never eaten before.

In other words, yes, you can do it on very little money, but you won't have much of a life. Without a car, basic living expenses are going to cost you $1,000 per month or more, after taxes. If you had even a cheap car, which you'll need, you're looking at $1,500 per month or more absolute minimum.

Can you do it? Probably. Will you have any fun? Doubtful.

Old 04-17-2009, 12:50 PM

28 posts, read 67,142 times
^^ And fun is lyke, the bees knees.

Old 04-17-2009, 01:38 PM

^^ Yeah, it just doesn't make any sense to me to trade one "bad" situation for another. I don't know what the point would be, unless it could lead to you making better opportunities for yourself.

Old 04-17-2009, 01:42 PM

1,084 posts, read 3,288,926 times
I do sincerely wish the best for people who move here to try and make it big.

I wish there was a way to calculate the % of people who move here actually make it BIG. That would probably be a reality call for some. My guess would be somewhere around 0.000001%. And how bout the % who end up homeless and begging for cash just to eat?

Old 04-17-2009, 02:11 PM

28 posts, read 67,142 times
I dunno...to me, "making it big" amounts to nothing more than living in an area with a beautiful climate, lots of culture, lots of people to yell at, nice beaches, and the opportunity to play music with some talented musicians.

I think my chances of "making it big" are pretty good. Not everybody who moves to LA to pursue an artistic passion is interested in being a featured dufus on Cribs. Some of us simply want to play music with similarly talented/motivated people and enjoy the weather.

Old 04-18-2009, 01:43 AM

12 posts, read 27,485 times
I'm a South African and am also working on moving to either NY or LA and am still doing my research which is very difficulty without any real contacts in the States at all. This topic's been insightful and scarry.
I hope I'll make it. If you think you're old at 24, I'm 34 and south african

Old 04-18-2009, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by babsido View Post
I'm a South African and am also working on moving to either NY or LA and am still doing my research which is very difficulty without any real contacts in the States at all. This topic's been insightful and scarry.
I hope I'll make it. If you think you're old at 24, I'm 34 and south african

How old you are and where you are from is irrelevant. Don't ever let that deter you from doing anything.

You just have to know what you are getting yourself into and decide whether or not the good outweigh the bad, whether you can realistically accomplish what you want to accomplish, and whether or not the risk is worth it to you.

This forum is just a way to gather information and read others' opinions about LA. It is up to you to decide if you have the means and the risk tolerance to move here and be happy.

Old 04-19-2009, 02:57 AM

4,538 posts, read 10,632,544 times
I haven't read through the entire thread, but some of the answers are just horrible.

I'm a mild expert on this. I've been renting from a friend at $400-750 a month over the last 6 years hoping the real estate market crashes to the point I can afford a house on my <$100K salary(it has). In that time I've had a number of roommates in a very large house and also been exposed to the people who have moved into his other properties. OP is not 1st, 100th, 1000th, or 10,000th person to want to move to LA on a shoestring budget and want to be in movies. Where I live is in Valley Village which is like on the outer fringes of where anyone wanting to be in acting lives since its only a 15-20 minute drive to Burbank and Hollywood, but cheaper than anywhere closer cause even hella ghetto areas of Hollywood are super expensive.

However, of those that I've met(more than 10 of my roommates over this six years have wanted this or wanted to be part of the entertainment business in some capacity), none had any sort of reasonable expectations about what they are doing. Inevitably each and every one not only failed, but wound up getting evicted or needing to leave LA due to lack of money and lack of ability to get more money.

While this sounds harsh, I can't begin to describe the level of fuktardedness these individuals possess.

Anyway, OP, I know you are going to ignore me as is anyone else with your mindset. But I'll say it anyway....and this is not about crushing dreams or whatever, its based on actual experience.......just don't come. Find something else that makes you happy and can provide a sense of accomplishment. Its ok to move to Los Angeles if you have an ability to make money. But if you don't have a college degree and don't have business sense or some sort of training in something thats in demand.....you need to go WORK for a while...and I mean really WORK. Being employed at a movie theatre is not real work. Learning and making decisions or creating things or whatever....thats real work. But like I said, you are not gonna listen. It's most definitely gonna suck to be you and be 40 years old and still poor and dumb.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles