Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2009, 08:03 AM

14,100 posts, read 28,534,474 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parmesan View Post
I live in New Iberia and try to avoid Mardi Gras but sometimes it's
necessary to drive through Lafayette on that day. Practically the entire city is closed off for this stupid holiday. The hospitals are very hard to get to.I wonder how many people have died in ambulances trying to navigate the West Congress-West University area.
In my opinion, if the cities want to celebrate this pagan debauchery, it should be moved off the streets and into a cow pasture somewhere so that the rest of us can engage in our normal work and activities in peace.
I work at Lafayette General and work rotating shifts. I absolutely hate the parade routes. The people who live on the parade routes hate the parade routes. The people who live on these routes have to put up baracades to try to keep the drunks out of their yard and after the parades are over, their yard is now filled with garbage these fools left behind. Many of these families bought their homes before the parade route was changed to what it is now. When an Ambulance needs to get through, the police stop the parade floats, move people and baracades aside, and let the ambulance through or they change their route.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2009, 08:18 AM

3,073 posts, read 8,025,234 times
Best part of Mardi Gras season is the King Cake. I'm not a parade goer. And I don't think you need to bribe somebody to go to a parade. What you gonna gimme is so much like Louisiana.

Old 09-26-2009, 03:42 PM

3,073 posts, read 8,025,234 times
Well I didn't mean to be that mean. Just saying, if people would go to parades for the joy of watching it would be so much more fun. Of course Mardi Gras is different and the trinkets are a part of it. But it seemed like every parade around SBC (which there aren't many) can't be done without throwing something. I'm not just talking about Mardi Gras but everything else.

And yes I would like to see people really enjoy a parade without being high or drunk. Also if some would keep their mouths shut. I suddenly remember why we don't have many parades or why I don't like going. Too many imbiciles .

Old 09-29-2009, 05:15 AM

1,110 posts, read 2,241,105 times
Real Mardi Gras': Zulu Parade, Mamou Parade.

Tourist Mardi Gras: French Quarter

I quit going to Mardi Gras years ago. When you live here it gets old.

I don't enjoy being around society when they are drunk en masse. Too many douchebags.

Old 10-08-2009, 11:49 AM

3,071 posts, read 3,225,500 times
Mardi Gras used to be fun in LC, but now the bands don't play in the parades anymore. The parades suck now. It's that same cajun music on every last ride.

Old 10-09-2009, 02:16 PM

25 posts, read 111,120 times
We used to go to Mardi Gras in NO up until the 90s, then things got too crazy for us there. A guy got shot about 20 feet from me on Bourbon street one night and I kind of lost interest after that. In the years since we have enjoyed the Cajun Mardi Gras in the Lafayette area and prefer the small town celebrations in Mammou, Eunice, Church Point, etc. Lots of fun and much safer.

Old 10-09-2009, 04:16 PM

73,020 posts, read 62,622,338 times
I have never been to a Mardi Gras parade in my life(and I was born in New Orleans, not to mention I have family in the Greater New Orleans area and have visited a few times, although I left New Orleans as a baby).

Old 03-09-2011, 06:32 AM

3 posts, read 7,948 times
Default New Orleans Mardi Gras

I work in New Orleans in a hotel on the parade route. All the things you see on TV about people exposing themselves takes place in the French Quarter by tourists who don't have a clue about Mardi Gras. They are ameteurs. I would never, ever take a child down there.

Uptown New Orleans is very family oriented. People do bring their children and the float riders cater to the kids singling them out and throwing stuff to them. Uptown is where the locals go. People lay out ladders for thier children to stand on and local people respect your stuff and know the rules. I did not see one fight and I worked 15 hours Sunday and 16 hours Tuesday.

This year Mardi Gras had a bunch of stupid spring breakers that mainly treated the city like a toilet. Who raises these people? Next year Mardi Gras is in February too early for spring break, thank goodness!! It will be back to a nice fun holiday.

Old 03-09-2011, 06:40 AM

4,409 posts, read 6,545,770 times
I have no use for Mardi Gras. It just seems to turn normal people into flailing tards.

Old 03-09-2011, 08:48 AM

5,003 posts, read 9,162,150 times
I have never been to Mardi Gra in New Orleans but I always hear people say it is like 10 X more outrages in New Orleans than it is in Mobile due to flashing and nudity. I never knew that New Orleans has a family oriented Mardi Gra I thought it was all breast lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana