Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-09-2007, 11:15 AM

2,712 posts, read 5,656,187 times

Advertisements

Holly.. well the leaves are stiff, and those pointy parts... are darn SHARP. I have little red pricked places all over my hands and arms when I get into the bushes. Not all varieties are exactly alike though, and the one that grows under my north windows had a more oval leaf, not quite like the iconic symbol of the holidays, but it does come to a point and that part still pricks.

Since we have no woods to thin and no way to use up the wood, I am still not decided about the tree issue. If I were not planning to move north I might be more likely to invest in a nice fake tree though I do prefer the real thing. I also like the idea of a living one to plant, since (a) ground won't be frozen here and (b) it will not be in the house terribly long. But I have yet to go looking at the nurseries. I won't decorate it until next Thurs night, so I'll likely go hunting next weekend and see if there is one somewhere, close enough to pick up on my lunch hour Thurs.

I hear ya' on the wanting to bake, but not have it all sitting there as temptation. I have been off carbs for 9 months or so now... though I did have some chocolate at the Museum festival last weekend (as well as eating WAY too much of many good things!) and have determined to continue "being good" through the holidays as I am about to break 150 and my ultimate goal is in sight after that. I'm lucky in that I do not socialize here much, the kids are all out west (and the goodies I baked have been sent and eaten!) and therefore it will be easier to hold the line.

One thing I have found, having been on my carb-watch for so long, is that it IS easier to "have just one" most of the time now. Even when I am in the store, and hungry, reading the labels makes me put most of my old standby treats back. I found a wonderful organic "fruit and nut mix" recently when I needed a munch/treat... not as high carb as chocolate (though higher than what I 'normally' allow myself) but a good, more nutritious, alternative.

I hope you get good news from your test on Tues! Will you know that day, or do they send you home with the promise of a call later?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Writer View Post
starwalker, what makes the holly painful? I've never worked with it.

We're going to Santa Claus Hill up in 'pitlock to get a tree today. I'm trying to think of something good to put in the oven so that supper's hot when we get home. The oven will turn on and off by itself. I'm thinking maybe I'm too lazy for that and we'll have pancakes, bacon and sausage instead.

I miss Christmas baking! I have a fasting blood sugar drawn Tuesday. If it's ok now I'm having some sort of sweet treat Wednesay. I've been chocolate free for four months and I'll tell you, that's just not natural! I'm thinking about going on a Christmas baking spree and pawning 99% of it off on the in-laws. I want Needhams and fudge and blueberry whoopie pies and cookies and and and....! One of each will make me happy.

Old 12-09-2007, 01:18 PM

2,712 posts, read 5,656,187 times
http://www.ursai.net/blog/wreath1.jpg (broken link)
Here is my Holly and Ivy wreath hanging on the door! I did not get pricked too badly, but it was not as easy to make as in previous years. I "recycled" the bits of wire that I used last year to hold the greens on the form, plus my left thumb joint is giving me lots of unhappy messages today.
http://www.ursai.net/blog/wreath2.jpg (broken link)
Close up... the bow is not raffia, but a piece of bailing twine I picked up in the grocery store parking lot this morning!

Old 12-09-2007, 01:23 PM

7,727 posts, read 12,387,188 times
Beautiful job Star!!

Old 12-09-2007, 01:49 PM

7,395 posts, read 13,104,828 times
Great job Star!

Old 12-09-2007, 01:51 PM

5,054 posts, read 12,426,048 times
Lovely wreath!

Old 12-09-2007, 02:01 PM

Location: :0)1 CORINTHIANS,13*"KYRIE, ELEISON"*"CHRISTE ELEISON"
3,078 posts, read 6,200,465 times
Thumbs up HELLO Starwalker !

Very nice pictures!

You did a great job!

Thank you for sharing!

Have a GREAT HOLIDAY!

Take care,

Countrylv22

Quote:
Originally Posted by starwalker View Post
http://www.ursai.net/blog/wreath1.jpg (broken link)
Here is my Holly and Ivy wreath hanging on the door! I did not get pricked too badly, but it was not as easy to make as in previous years. I "recycled" the bits of wire that I used last year to hold the greens on the form, plus my left thumb joint is giving me lots of unhappy messages today.
http://www.ursai.net/blog/wreath2.jpg (broken link)
Close up... the bow is not raffia, but a piece of bailing twine I picked up in the grocery store parking lot this morning!

Old 12-09-2007, 02:09 PM

874 posts, read 1,856,244 times
I love them. The Holly and the Ivy is my "Favorite Carol I don't know the words to".

Old 12-09-2007, 02:21 PM

7,395 posts, read 13,104,828 times
I'm just buzzing by again to say hi.....I'm trying to get the house ready as much as I can right now for Tuesday's staff Christmas party here because I won't be home tomorrow night because as Maine Writer said "we breathe basketball"! She's right --I rarely miss a game!....I just realized I completely forgot to have Katy's cheering top altered--and their first home game is tomorrow night! Thank goodness Amy's fits... Their cheer stuff didn't come in, new sales rep, so the kids are all scurrying to make sure the freshman have what they need but they also have new uniforms this year, so things are a bit different on that end. The darn Christmas tree is still trying to thaw, and tonight is the only night ALL WEEK we're all going to be here to decorate it. Wonder if I can take my blow dryer to it?? I'm kidding....I know it wouldn't work! Maybe we'll just decorate it anyway and pick up whatever falls? lol....I've got to run, see if I can find the breakfast bar since I buried it earlier, and it's time to start supper....I'm hoping to get on here later....working at home tomorrow so I'll be on and off then too!

Woxy good to see you!

NMLM so glad you posted about Wreaths Across America....no veterans in our house but that program is near and dear to our hearts (did you pledge for wreaths and get your pin? something new this year )

and 7th keep the pictures coming they make me smile!!

my Ya Yas I'll talk to you soon....

Old 12-09-2007, 02:24 PM

48,149 posts, read 22,013,215 times
4th verse "The holly bears a prickle as sharp as any thorn
And Mary bore sweet Jesus Christ on Christmas Day in the morn."

That would be the thorn that cut stars fingers!!!!!!

And the wreath is beautiful!

Old 12-09-2007, 02:28 PM

874 posts, read 1,856,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elston View Post
4th verse "The holly bears a prickle as sharp as any thorn
And Mary bore sweet Jesus Christ on Christmas Day in the morn."

That would be the thorn that cut stars fingers!!!!!!

And the wreath is beautiful!
OK I confess... I don't know the 4th verse of any carols. LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine