Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2016, 04:19 AM

125 posts, read 114,293 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by westsideboy View Post
It's Allegany, no 'h.'
That's what my device corrects it to on my phone; My grammar is a whole better on PC whrre I don't constantly get corrected by the stupid phone.. lol

Anyways I conclude that this is a great decision, and Garrett County does a fine job of clearing snow. They
won't be stuck until July anyways, June 15th maximum.

I don't know if the buses in Garrett run chains? If they don't maybe we should outfit all busses with automatic chains. They can go to school in pretty much anything then.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2016, 04:48 AM

45,429 posts, read 60,623,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LudditeMan View Post
That's what my device corrects it to on my phone; My grammar is a whole better on PC whrre I don't constantly get corrected by the stupid phone.. lol

Anyways I conclude that this is a great decision, and Garrett County does a fine job of clearing snow. They

I don't know if the buses in Garrett run chains? If they don't maybe we should outfit all busses with automatic chains. They can go to school in pretty much anything then.
Do the buses there have sanders? The ones in more traditional snowbelt areas now do.

Old 09-02-2016, 09:48 AM

7,022 posts, read 11,320,211 times
Quote:

I have to laugh, you did warn us you were a luddite!

I can agree to disagree on this one, and overall I like the governor.

So, what is you favorite town in Allegany County? I would say my favorite part of Washington County is Smithsburg and thereabouts. You are in the shadow of the mountain, the farms are very pretty, and Smithsburg is a nice little town. One of my high school friends moved there and lives on Main St.

Old 09-02-2016, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by westsideboy View Post
I have to laugh, you did warn us you were a luddite!

I can agree to disagree on this one, and overall I like the governor.

So, what is you favorite town in Allegany County? I would say my favorite part of Washington County is Smithsburg and thereabouts. You are in the shadow of the mountain, the farms are very pretty, and Smithsburg is a nice little town. One of my high school friends moved there and lives on Main St.
Hmm
I like Lonaconing, maybe because it's close to dans mountain? But yeah its a nice town, a little too big though for my tastes. It a big town, population over 1k..
Small to me is clear spring sized which is like 400 people I think? Have to say clear spring is also my favorite town in Washington county.
Have to say my 2nd favorite was Westernport, I like how it's near the river and it just feels very nice.

Yeach Smithsurg is nice but they are pushing more and more development. In 10 to 15 years it won't be that small town any more (it's not even that small right now), it'll be massive.

Old 09-02-2016, 02:42 PM

2,197 posts, read 2,692,355 times
Quote:
Hmm
I like Lonaconing, maybe because it's close to dans mountain? But yeah its a nice town, a little too big though for my tastes. It a big town, population over 1k..
Small to me is clear spring sized which is like 400 people I think? Have to say clear spring is also my favorite town in Washington county.
Have to say my 2nd favorite was Westernport, I like how it's near the river and it just feels very nice.

Yeach Smithsurg is nice but they are pushing more and more development. In 10 to 15 years it won't be that small town any more (it's not even that small right now), it'll be massive.
"Massive"...by 7000 BC standards?

Old 09-02-2016, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bufflove View Post
"Massive"...by 7000 BC standards?
I consider anything over 1k too be a big town, and anything 5k over to be a city, and anything 20k over to be a big city, and anything 100k over, some place I never want to be!

Plus eastern Washington county will be overridden by libbies soon because more and more people are moving out this way because the liberals made it too expensive to live further downstate..(crazy property tax, and home prices..)
Then they'll vote out the principled government here, and put in the same libby policies which made em' leave where they came from.. Then this county will be just another dumpster like the rest of the state..

Old 09-02-2016, 08:06 PM

2,197 posts, read 2,692,355 times
Quote:
I consider anything over 1k too be a big town, and anything 5k over to be a city, and anything 20k over to be a big city, and anything 100k over, some place I never want to be!

Plus eastern Washington county will be overridden by libbies soon because more and more people are moving out this way because the liberals made it too expensive to live further downstate..(crazy property tax, and home prices..)
Then they'll vote out the principled government here, and put in the same libby policies which made em' leave where they came from.. Then this county will be just another dumpster like the rest of the state..
"Liberals" didn't make it expensive. "Capitalism" and "demand" made it expensive. Don't worry, wherever Smithsurg is still has time.

Old 09-02-2016, 08:34 PM

Quote:
"Liberals" didn't make it expensive. "Capitalism" and "demand" made it expensive. Don't worry, wherever Smithsurg is still has time.
It's not just the housing price, but all the taxes associated.
You can never expect to retire modestly in those liberal areas because those taxes are outrageous.

Old 09-03-2016, 05:20 AM

45,429 posts, read 60,623,477 times
Quote:
Quote:
It's not just the housing price, but all the taxes associated.
You can never expect to retire modestly in those liberal areas because those taxes are outrageous.
Had to quote both.

It may be "supply and demand" but it's actually more than that. And higher taxes don't necessarily stem from liberal or conservative policy.

What drives higher taxes is the development itself. If it's the wrong kind of development higher taxes follow as sure as the sun rising in the east.

The wrong development is that which is skewed towards residential instead of commercial, especially commercial which is high paying.

What happens is that every new residence is a net tax loss for the local services provided. The taxes paid on the residence never covers the cost of services. Those services include schools (the formula used is every new residence, of all types, adds 0.8 students to the school system). Then you have the costs of increased police services, hospitals, roads, etc.

Another issue that follows primarily residential development is that most of the new businesses that do open up tend to be low paid service type. Things like restaurants, lawn care, cleaning services.

The cost of schools is why the Counties have gone after over 55 developments. While there's still an imbalance in tax revenues versus costs it's not as great if you don't have to factor in schools.

EDIT:

One thing that will mitigate against growth in the outlying areas are the requirements imposed by PlanMD, especially the sewer tiering.

Counties were required to designate Targeted Growth Areas which will be eligible for state funds. Start slamming down subdivisions outside those areas and there's no money for school, for roads for any infrastructure.

Tied into that was the designation of tiers for water and sewer. Basically the first two tiers are where water and sewer already are or slated to get it at some point. Tier 3 is septic and wells with a kicker. The kicker is that any development with more than 7 (or maybe 9) units in that tier has to have a stand alone water and sewer treatment for those houses. That adds an astronomical cost. And if it's outside a TGA there's no State money for it.

Last edited by North Beach Person; 09-03-2016 at 06:09 AM..

Old 09-03-2016, 07:36 PM

7,783 posts, read 6,089,978 times
What is it nowadays that causes school systems to require Teacher development days? It should not be for changes to curriculum. What changes from year to year in any subject that requires the teachers to get more training?

For example, nothing should change in Math unless they start teaching higher levels of math in earlier grades. If anything the opposite has occurred over the long haul. History shouldn't change unless you are dealing with current events. Anyone who watches Watters World knows that current events are probably not being covered very well in our public schools. Have the laws of physics changed so much that science curriculum has to change from one year to the next?

As far as I can see the only changes occur as a result of the school administration trying to justify their higher pay level jobs. All the recent changes to methodology in teaching does not seem to be working very well, when our results are compared to other countries or cultures.

So, just what is it the teachers improve on when they get their days off from the classroom?

I think our public schools have strayed so much from the basics, that they are shortchanging our kids.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland