Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2016, 11:49 AM

59,106 posts, read 27,340,319 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Association not union. The reason it's involved is because of the pay issues. You probably don't know that for years Prince George's teachers worked two unpaid days a year when MSDE mandated additional in-service days and there were no funds in the budget to pay for them. That was memorialized in the contract.

Baltimore County did one day unpaid last year.
"Association not union"

I am surprised that after ALL those years you paid your dues, you did NOT know it was union.

I have given you a lot of credibility and repect in these past years because you seem to have lot of commons sense and know what you are talking about without all the name calling.

This REALLY DOES surprise me.

From the MSEA web site.

"Q: What is MSEA?
A
: MSEA, the Maryland State Education Association, is the largest union and professional association in Maryland.

We represent more than 70,000 educators and school employees who work in Maryland’s public schools. MSEA also represents 39 local affiliates in every county across the state of Maryland, and our parent affiliate is the 3.2 million-member National Education Association (NEA)."

"Q: Is MSEA a union or professional association? And what’s the difference?
A: We’re both. One of the core responsibilities of MSEA and its local affiliates is to bargain collectively on behalf of our members so that Maryland’s educators and school employees have the professional-level salaries and benefits and decent working conditions to be effective in their jobs. We also make sure that local employers abide by the negotiated contract and we represent member-employees in job-related legal matters when necessary. But the value of association membership comes just as equally from our critical support role as a professional association. This includes lobbying in Annapolis, nationally and locally for improved classroom and school conditions, offering members unique professional development opportunities, and providing them with timely information, tips, and resources through our publications and website."

FAQs | Maryland State Education Association
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2016, 01:19 PM

45,425 posts, read 60,623,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
"Association not union"

I am surprised that after ALL those years you paid your dues, you did NOT know it was union.

I have given you a lot of credibility and repect in these past years because you seem to have lot of commons sense and know what you are talking about without all the name calling.

This REALLY DOES surprise me.

From the MSEA web site.

"Q: What is MSEA?
A
: MSEA, the Maryland State Education Association, is the largest union and professional association in Maryland.

We represent more than 70,000 educators and school employees who work in Maryland’s public schools. MSEA also represents 39 local affiliates in every county across the state of Maryland, and our parent affiliate is the 3.2 million-member National Education Association (NEA)."

"Q: Is MSEA a union or professional association? And what’s the difference?
A: We’re both. One of the core responsibilities of MSEA and its local affiliates is to bargain collectively on behalf of our members so that Maryland’s educators and school employees have the professional-level salaries and benefits and decent working conditions to be effective in their jobs. We also make sure that local employers abide by the negotiated contract and we represent member-employees in job-related legal matters when necessary. But the value of association membership comes just as equally from our critical support role as a professional association. This includes lobbying in Annapolis, nationally and locally for improved classroom and school conditions, offering members unique professional development opportunities, and providing them with timely information, tips, and resources through our publications and website."

FAQs | Maryland State Education Association
They're not permitted under the legislation granting teachers collective bargaining rights back in the 70s to identify themselves as a union. Why they have that as a description I don't know. Then again none of them are too bright.

Nor are teachers allowed to strike.
Nor can they bargain for anything outside wages a working conditions. Working conditions specifically excluded class size and class assignments.

If you think the MSEA has any punch think again. They roll over on everything. Gambling? They were opposed until they had a little chat with some legislators where they were told that school money would be withheld if they didn't fall into line.

What happened? No new school money from gambling anyway, which was written right in the legislation.

The locals? I'm only familiar with PGCEA. I have broken hand tools which are more useful than it is. The rule for the officers is don't make waves and you'll be rewarded.

Keep in mind that I'm retired and don't really have a dog in the fight.

Old 09-14-2016, 03:41 PM

7,083 posts, read 9,576,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westsideboy View Post
Parts of Garrett County average over 8 feet of snowfall a year (that's average, some years are worse,) and it can fall anywhere from Oct. through April. I would say they handle it well, as does Frostburg, which averages just short of 7 feet. Part of the issue is with students who walk to school. It can take over a week to clear all the snow out from a 2-3 foot storm, which aren't uncommon, and if the sidewalks aren't clear from the very common 6-8 inchers, the kids can't safely walk to school.

I don't know how other parts of the country with heavy snow falls handle it in regards to school, but there isn't any good reason to send the kids to school when the roads aren't clear or the sidewalks are drifted over when you can work days into your academic calendar to avoid it.

I am sure our counties will apply for the waiver. Again, no reason for the Governor to just unilaterally set the school schedule for every county in the state by Executive Order. Even with a Republican, it is still the top down approach to governing. Don't like it? File a waiver and maybe we will get back to you.
I'd love to rent a cabin in Western MD during the winter. Snow lover here.

Old 09-14-2016, 03:46 PM

7,022 posts, read 11,320,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adelphi_sky View Post
I'd love to rent a cabin in Western MD during the winter. Snow lover here.
There are certainly cabins to rent in the winter. You have the Wisp for downhill skiing and lots of trails for cross country as well. Snowmobiles on the lake when it freezes over is another popular activity........for people much braver than me!

Old 09-21-2016, 04:28 PM

4 posts, read 3,295 times
Good idea. These school systems don't even teach till after Labor Day
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland