Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2016, 01:41 PM

16,282 posts, read 10,421,470 times

Advertisements

So I learned that if we go to the beach the last week of August due to school being back in session we have empty beaches, empty restaurants, choice of hotels, and the warmest water of the year. And by taking 5 vacation days I ended up with 10 days off including the holiday. It was a great idea, until we saw on the trip that the Governor is backing up the start of the school year which will no doubt change the crowd situation. Oh well, it was great while it lasted.

But like everything this Governor has done I can't argue, he is awesome and this was long overdue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2016, 12:57 PM

59,106 posts, read 27,330,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
The end date for the school year was also set, it's June 15th.

You know, I grew up in an area with weather arguably similar to western Maryland. We started after Labor Day and were done by June 5th.

What adds so many days is the MSDE requirement for systems to have a minimum 10 professional development days.
I grew up in MD and we used to get out Memorial day and go back the day after Labor Day and had about 5 "weather" days allocated.

"What adds so many days is the MSDE requirement for systems to have a minimum 10 professional development days.

That is easy reduce them to what they USED to be.

I think they are a waste of time and money anyway.

Some have no idea how about 2 months off instead of 3 months affects summer vacation places and the economy of these places.

Then they wonder why when they go that prices are so high are so crowded.

I met a couple with 3 kids in school in Michigan, I believe, and they went to school year round with 6 week in school and 2 weeks off.

They loved it.

They could go to regular vacations spots and places that weren't that good to go in the summer, and didn't have to fight the crowds.

Old 09-12-2016, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by westsideboy View Post
Parts of Garrett County average over 8 feet of snowfall a year (that's average, some years are worse,) and it can fall anywhere from Oct. through April. I would say they handle it well, as does Frostburg, which averages just short of 7 feet. Part of the issue is with students who walk to school. It can take over a week to clear all the snow out from a 2-3 foot storm, which aren't uncommon, and if the sidewalks aren't clear from the very common 6-8 inchers, the kids can't safely walk to school.

I don't know how other parts of the country with heavy snow falls handle it in regards to school, but there isn't any good reason to send the kids to school when the roads aren't clear or the sidewalks are drifted over when you can work days into your academic calendar to avoid it.

I am sure our counties will apply for the waiver. Again, no reason for the Governor to just unilaterally set the school schedule for every county in the state by Executive Order. Even with a Republican, it is still the top down approach to governing. Don't like it? File a waiver and maybe we will get back to you.
" or the sidewalks are drifted over'

I didn't know Garrett County had ANY sidewalks.

Only kidding.

Old 09-12-2016, 01:07 PM

Quote:
That's what a lot of people don't know, maybe, kids may be out but teachers are in.

What I want to throw in is my former system, Prince George's, would start earlier than most in August and still get out later in June. If anyone is paying attention, most Maryland school systems have only one month, usually March, that is a full 20 day month. Every other month there are days out for religious holidays, voting, parent conference days (I would usually only have 2 or 3 show up and they'd be parents I wouldn't really need to see) professional development (in-service), whatever.

As a note, a minimum of 10 days in-service for all school systems is enshrined in COMAR. School systems with academic issues have more, the number set by directive from MSDE.
"there are days out for religious holidays,"

I thought they weren't called "religious" anymore.

It is "Winter" break and "Spring" break

Old 09-12-2016, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Some don't have the Jewish holidays (and truly, some systems wouldn't have that much of an attendance problem from either staff or students if school was in session that day or two).

Systems lose one or two days in October for the MSEA convention, this year they'll lose election day. The day before Thanksgiving started to be a day off because attendance was down so much it screwed with AYP.

Also, Spring Break is just Good Friday and Easter Monday, not a full week plus.

What some systems do, both in Maryland and elsewhere, is do half day in-service days with kids in the morning and afternoon meetings. You still get a full day if you serve the kids lunch.
"for the MSEA convention,"

Why do they need a Convention during the school year?

Why not have it in the summer, either just after school is out or just before school starts.

Most business Conventions I attended, and ther were plenty, started Friday evening and were over by noon on Sunday.

Private business did NOT want people off during the work week. The actually WANTED then to "work".

Old 09-12-2016, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LudditeMan View Post
It's not just the housing price, but all the taxes associated.
You can never expect to retire modestly in those liberal areas because those taxes are outrageous.
"You can never expect to retire modestly in those liberal areas because those taxes are outrageous.'

Which is why, where I live, is predominately retirees from high taxed states.

Old 09-12-2016, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tw71 View Post
I think this is a good question, actually. I was a little surprised at what a strong, knee-jerk reaction I got when I so much as hinted (over on a Facebook forum discussing these issues) that maybe the school districts could do without some of these random days off for "teacher development" and use the time towards a longer summer break instead.

The teachers seem to feel entitled to these work/training days and act like it's just hindering their ability to teach the class if they don't get all of them.

It seems to me the primary things changing that teachers might need to learn are technology-related. (Such changes as schools standardizing on using "Google Classroom" for students to turn in assignments.) But how much time is needed to get them up to speed on this stuff?

What I've observed as a parent of 3 kids is the tech-proficiency of teachers varies wildly. They all supposedly got the same training, yet some act like they can barely get around on a computer and don't know how to check their email, while others are "gung ho" for handling everything online. That tells me it has FAR more to do with their attitude and skill-sets they already possess than anything some teacher development days are enabling.
"that maybe the school districts could do without some of these random days off for "teacher development"'

"Teacher development" is a union forced "program".

Teachers are supposed to be smart college graduates who took "teaching" as their major.

Now they need more education?

Then when you get your Master's you AUTOMATICALLY GET A RAISE, even though you have not applied this new found knowledge to the classroom yet, if ever.

Old 09-12-2016, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Once again, teachers don't set the in service days. The minimum number is CODIFED AS STATE LAW IN COMAR with additional days required for a school system as determined by the Maryland State Board of Education upon recommendation by the Maryland Secretary of Education.

Yeah, technology is a piece of in-service but even more time consuming is getting through the Common Core and evaluation metrics.

As a note, I have no dog in this fight, I retired two years ago. I just don't like seeing uninformed opinions based on a Facebook post.

In fact, I even might agree with there being too many in-service days. I just get tired of teachers being blamed for things they have no control over, like the number of in-service days.
"a school system as determined by the Maryland State Board of Education upon recommendation by the Maryland Secretary of Education." AND the Maryland Teacher's Union.

Old 09-12-2016, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruzincat View Post
Changing the method of teaching for what reason? My feeling is that it is more for justification of school administrator's jobs than it is for the students benefit. The teachers are supposed to be there to give the students the basic knowledge for them to get into the world or get into college after high school. Over the past 50 years, the success rate of these students has gotten worse, not better. 50 Years ago a freshman did not have to take courses to bring them up to speed in order to handle college level courses. I know that there are some high school graduates that do not need help. What is the percentage of home schoolers versus public schoolers that do not need the extra help?
"Changing the method of teaching for what reason?"

Correct. They can't teach 3 X 5=15 anymore.

They have to have some kind of convoluted "system" to get the answer.

There was story a while back about a student who brought home his math homework and ak the father for help.

being an Engineer he waS well taught in math.

The father after reading the curriculum shoWed his son the EASY way ot do the problems.

Even he could NOT figures Out their "new" WAY AND THOUGHT IT WAS WASTE OF TIME.

MOST OF US KNOW THESE NEW METHODS ARE HURTING OUR KIDS.

The proof is in how badly our kids are stacking up against other countries and it is getting worse every day.

Old 09-13-2016, 03:54 AM

45,422 posts, read 60,608,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
"a school system as determined by the Maryland State Board of Education upon recommendation by the Maryland Secretary of Education." AND the Maryland Teacher's Union.
Association not union. The reason it's involved is because of the pay issues. You probably don't know that for years Prince George's teachers worked two unpaid days a year when MSDE mandated additional in-service days and there were no funds in the budget to pay for them. That was memorialized in the contract.

Baltimore County did one day unpaid last year.

Last edited by North Beach Person; 09-13-2016 at 05:09 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland