Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2014, 06:50 PM

5,037 posts, read 6,964,953 times

Advertisements

I'm sure opinion will vary, but far along would it no longer be considered rude for a obviously pregnant woman to ask someone to give up their seat on the commuter rail? I suspect most men ages 25-45 would gladly give up their seat and even feel a bit guilty for not doing so spontaneously; my wife suspects she would get angry stares and a lot of "no, I was here" even into her ninth month. Any thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2014, 07:58 AM

779 posts, read 884,433 times
I'm 8 months pregnant and still wouldn't actually ask for somebody's seat. Granted, I take a line where it's rare for people to have to stand. I also get to the station early to reduce the risk of not getting a seat. Last week I was stuck standing and somebody offered me their seat--I didn't take it and kind of regretted it by the time I got to my stop.

Anyway, congrats on the pregnancy and I have to say I agree with your wife. I wouldn't ask even in my 9th month. With my first baby I was in early labor while commuting home from work and was just praying my water wouldn't break on the train.

Old 01-07-2014, 08:00 AM

417 posts, read 737,809 times
even if she is not showing and says she is pregnant and would like a seat I will bet no one would have a problem giving it up. that said, i never asked for a seat and basically no one offered most of the time through both pregnancies. my belly would practically be hitting someone in their face and they would just look down. it was bizarre.

i also find the time i needed a seat the most was immediately after getting pregnant. I was extremely light headed/nauseous and felt like i was going to collapse, by the time i looked pregnant, i didnt mind standing.

it is funky though because i would walk 1-2 mi a day between the train/home/daycare but STANDING on the train is what made me feel the most sick. someone did spot me looking green once and told me to sit in their seat. otherwise, if your wife doesnt ask, I will bet almost no one will give up their seat. if she isnt nervous to do so, she should!

Old 01-07-2014, 08:11 AM

76 posts, read 133,916 times
I wouldn't ASK for someone to give up their seat ... but if they offered I would take it. I was a whale when I was pregnant so there's no way people wouldn't know! I don't commute to Boston anymore (actually moved to Florida), but when I did, there was an older / disabled woman that always got on the green line 2 stops after me. I'd sit in the first seat by the door and save it for her. When she got on, I gave it to her. She was always grateful. So (not to pat myself on the back or anything) there really are nice people out there who will give up a seat! :-)

Old 01-07-2014, 08:16 AM

9,367 posts, read 15,018,125 times
You shouldn't have to ask. It's basic etiquette.

Old 01-07-2014, 08:45 AM
miu

17,721 posts, read 40,282,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollytree View Post
You shouldn't have to ask. It's basic etiquette.
Eh. First, in the city, many people mentally put blinders on and don't look closely at their fellow passengers. They focus on texting their friends or listen to music to pass the travel time away.

Secondly, there is the aspect of rampant obesity in our population. A woman that may look pregnant may not be and instead just be grossly overweight. And who wants to chance embarrassing and insulting her?

Old 01-07-2014, 08:48 AM

41,936 posts, read 37,157,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
And who wants to chance embarrassing and insulting her?

How would you be chancing that?

You don't say "hey pregnant lady, would you like a seat?". You just offer the seat. If she happens to not be pregnant there is no harm to you or anyone.

Old 01-07-2014, 09:17 AM

417 posts, read 737,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
How would you be chancing that?

You don't say "hey pregnant lady, would you like a seat?". You just offer the seat. If she happens to not be pregnant there is no harm to you or anyone.
I agree, one time a man just looked at me and got up and walked over to the rail to stand/hold it. i knew he was offering me his seat without outright saying "hey, pregnant lady, do you want the seat?" for the most part too, its pretty obvious when a woman is pregnant vs obese. especially if the woman is not both of the two.

also, the OPs wife doesnt need to specifically ask someone to give up the seat, she can just look into the aisle and ask if someone could please give he a seat bc she is pregnant. i will bet if asked like that people will get right up.

Old 01-07-2014, 09:30 AM

4,848 posts, read 11,857,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpringMom3 View Post
for the most part too, its pretty obvious when a woman is pregnant vs obese. especially if the woman is not both of the two.
I see 2 obese women on a regular basis (related to my kids schools) who were recently pregnant and I couldn't tell either time. One time I didn't find out until my daughter told me (she has playdates with this woman's daughter) and the other time I didn't find out until she came to school holding a baby! I don't think most people can really tell with women who are say, over 250 lbs.

Old 01-07-2014, 10:29 AM

6,301 posts, read 9,693,449 times
One thing I hate is when a parent with toddlers or a baby carriage is struggling to keep kids from being trampled on a packed train, and none of the gum chewing, ear-bud clad 20 year olds offer them their seat. I always do even if the parent is Dad not Mom.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts