Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2014, 06:36 PM

8,775 posts, read 11,907,443 times

Advertisements

[quote=miu;33913913]In your example, I'd say no change given. That person with food stamps should just buy $10 in sensible food for their family. They could add in a loaf of bread, some milk and some eggs to make it add up to at least $10. Then they would pay the difference.

EBT cards should be programmed to only work at grocery stores and only for groceries. And never an ATM transfers or for getting cash back.[/quote]

EBT cards are programmed that way. They don't pay for anything that isn't food and they don't pay for things that are precooked...deli items. Sometimes we will get toys with candy in them but EBT doesn't recognize that as food and won't accept it. People think it should but it's a toy.

They CAN get cash back if they also have cash benefits on that card. And likely use it at an ATM. They can buy anything with that money, as far as I know. I've not had anyone try to buy alcohol or tobacco with one though. I've also noticed that there are very few people who have cash benefits on their EBT card. It's fairly easy to get food stamps here but not cash.

As for change...they don't get "change" using an EBT card. When food stamps were actual pieces of paper you had to tear apart, they did get "change" but now it's just taken off the card and that's that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2014, 06:42 PM

23,561 posts, read 18,707,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZDesertBrat View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
In your example, I'd say no change given. That person with food stamps should just buy $10 in sensible food for their family. They could add in a loaf of bread, some milk and some eggs to make it add up to at least $10. Then they would pay the difference.

EBT cards should be programmed to only work at grocery stores and only for groceries. And never an ATM transfers or for getting cash back.
EBT cards are programmed that way. They don't pay for anything that isn't food and they don't pay for things that are precooked...deli items. Sometimes we will get toys with candy in them but EBT doesn't recognize that as food and won't accept it. People think it should but it's a toy.

They CAN get cash back if they also have cash benefits on that card. And likely use it at an ATM. They can buy anything with that money, as far as I know. I've not had anyone try to buy alcohol or tobacco with one though. I've also noticed that there are very few people who have cash benefits on their EBT card. It's fairly easy to get food stamps here but not cash.

As for change...they don't get "change" using an EBT card. When food stamps were actual pieces of paper you had to tear apart, they did get "change" but now it's just taken off the card and that's that.
They can be used for any grocery item, be it snack food with no nutritional value or frozen dinners. That should not be allowed. Not all stores enforce those rules either, that explains all the people later caught buying alcohol and lottery tickets with them. And here in MA, there are a LOT of users with cash benefits.

Old 04-25-2014, 07:54 AM

3,577 posts, read 4,510,119 times
Speaker Deleo has mandated a no change zone for EBT cardholders. Pushed it through with Democrats just
Rubber stamping the bill.
Deleo said it would cause too much controversy.
What up with that?

Old 04-25-2014, 12:02 PM

23,561 posts, read 18,707,417 times
^What's up with that is it's business as usual. It's what the voters ask for, do not expect that to change.

Old 04-25-2014, 12:15 PM

10,048 posts, read 18,072,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
Totally agree. The retailers seem to be able to track every penny we spend and on what (and so does Uncle Sam with taxation), there is no reason why they can't make it so an EBT card can't be charged for potato chips, etc.
Yes, because g-d forbid a poor person should actually eat potato chips.

Should we also be able to monitor the purchases of ALL corporations that receive tax dollars (including tax breaks)? Why stop at that ... let's make people on Social Security give us a list of what grocery items they are buying so we can approve them.

I would really like to see who all these poor people are who are buying filet mignon and Scotch with their welfare benefits. "I know a person whose cousin said a man told her that his wife saw a welfare queen ..."

Old 04-25-2014, 01:14 PM

3,577 posts, read 4,510,119 times
I was a door to door salesperson. Welfare people had better apartments, cars, clothes and food than I did. Saw it first hand.

Old 04-25-2014, 01:19 PM

41,936 posts, read 36,957,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karen_in_nh_2012 View Post
I would really like to see who all these poor people are who are buying filet mignon and Scotch with their welfare benefits. "I know a person whose cousin said a man told her that his wife saw a welfare queen ..."

I see it at the meat market every single weekend. Nice cuts of beef and fish when I am paying cash for dark meat chicken.

Old 04-25-2014, 02:02 PM

2,096 posts, read 3,809,867 times
Quote:
Yes, because g-d forbid a poor person should actually eat potato chips.

Should we also be able to monitor the purchases of ALL corporations that receive tax dollars (including tax breaks)? Why stop at that ... let's make people on Social Security give us a list of what grocery items they are buying so we can approve them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
I see it at the meat market every single weekend. Nice cuts of beef and fish when I am paying cash for dark meat chicken.
Same here,I see it almost every week while shopping. Last week I was behind someone using their EBT card and she had at least 5 rib eye steaks,a couple of roasts and a bunch of other nice meats and fish. I don't think they should have to eat dog food but there should be some limits especially when they're eating better than me! The kicker was when I was going to my truck there was the same EBT lady getting into her Cadillac Escalade!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmyhoss View Post
I was a door to door salesperson. Welfare people had better apartments, cars, clothes and food than I did. Saw it first hand.
I believe it. My buddy is an electrician and has to do repair work in a lot of subsidized apts and says you wouldn't believe what they have inside from 60" flat screens to leather couches. Never mind the subsidized cable tv,phone and internet along with free smartphones. Which is why all our rates are more!

Old 04-25-2014, 02:56 PM

10,048 posts, read 18,072,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmyhoss View Post
Sorry, but that is not believable to me ... exactly HOW could they have better everything if they were on welfare?

I would also like to ask again (of the person who was annoyed that poor people can buy potato chips with food stamps): Should we also be able to monitor the purchases of ALL corporations that receive tax dollars (including tax breaks)? Why stop at that ... let's make people on Social Security give us a list of what grocery items they are buying so we can approve them. (It's logical to do ALL these things if we are so worried about where our tax dollars are going.)

And BTW, I've never been on welfare in my life, nor has anyone in my family as far as I know. I have a very strong work ethic and have been supporting myself since I was 18. I am by no means a "bleeding heart liberal," but these "stories" of welfare recipients somehow having so much more than everyone else are just absurd.

Old 04-25-2014, 03:39 PM

2,202 posts, read 5,357,977 times
Quote:
Sorry, but that is not believable to me ... exactly HOW could they have better everything if they were on welfare?

I would also like to ask again (of the person who was annoyed that poor people can buy potato chips with food stamps): Should we also be able to monitor the purchases of ALL corporations that receive tax dollars (including tax breaks)? Why stop at that ... let's make people on Social Security give us a list of what grocery items they are buying so we can approve them. (It's logical to do ALL these things if we are so worried about where our tax dollars are going.)

And BTW, I've never been on welfare in my life, nor has anyone in my family as far as I know. I have a very strong work ethic and have been supporting myself since I was 18. I am by no means a "bleeding heart liberal," but these "stories" of welfare recipients somehow having so much more than everyone else are just absurd.

Well, I can answer that. I know a family with able bodied teens who don't work- they are focusing on school and travel and the parents work off the books so they can avoid taxes and other with payroll withholdings. It also keeps their income at a level that will give them free health insurance, food stamps, EBT and need based college assistance. It worked for them. Two children are at prestigious universities and were given 100% need based financial aid. They dine out often, wear nice clothes, drive decent vehicles, and enjoy expensive leisure activities. Because while we WORK, they work the system. And while they are doing all this, they complain about our liberal government and the illegal aliens who are screwing the system.

I have no problem with helping those that need help but there is a segment of the population who are working the system while the rest of us WORK. Their actions vilify those who desperately need and deserve help.

As far as dictating what food that one can buy on food stamps. That's an easy answer. Obesity and diabetes are an epidemic and particularly problematic in lower income communities. By making only healthy foods an option, we can alleviate those problems. It will save those people at risk and save taxpayers on the health care costs- which if we are paying for the groceries, chances are we are paying for that too. It's not mean- if we are going to support people, let's support them in a healthy way. My kids come home from school starving because the school lunches I PAY for, aren't big enough. It's all in an effort to control obesity. My kids are athletes and do not have a weight problem but the "let's not hurt anyone's feelings" -let's only offer the amount of food a sedentary kid who is going home to eat twinkies and play video games needs- doesn't work for everyone- yet the government dictates this. Why is it okay to do that to kids in school and not to those we are giving out free food outside of school? Kids are in school for 1 meal a day 180 days a year. That does not put a dent in the problems of obesity and diabetes nor does it solve the problem of families who are not eating healthy at home for the other 2 meals a day and 3 while schools are out of session.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts