Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2016, 08:26 AM

15,802 posts, read 20,519,731 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by semiurbanite View Post
Charlestown? That's an interesting observation, I don't know anyone in the Porter/Davis area that came from Charlestown. By far the most have come from Cambridge in my experience.

I know a few from Charlestown, but I'd include Cambridge as well in that parallel. (And say Cambridge prob is the target of most)

Last edited by BostonMike7; 04-07-2016 at 08:34 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2016, 08:34 AM

344 posts, read 336,421 times
As the resident South Shore guy, I'd say Weymouth or one of the cheaper areas of Quincy, based solely off the fact that anything within 15 or 20 miles of Boston has a very good likelihood of serious appreciation.

At that budget, you're priced out of most of metro-west. North shore makes no sense because your commute would be only half against traffic.

Braintree has already exploded. 2/3rds of Quincy have as well. Milton and Hingham you were priced out of 15 years ago. Just by virtue of location Weymouth will appreciate, even if all of it's known flaws don't approve much.

Old 04-07-2016, 08:41 AM

4,249 posts, read 3,728,214 times
Detroit.

Running out of places to be the next Somerville around here, but BostonMike is right -- look for towns that border towns that are very desirable.

Old 04-07-2016, 08:43 AM

3,176 posts, read 3,700,201 times
I'll throw out Stoughton as an option.

Old 04-07-2016, 09:05 AM

9,885 posts, read 7,220,605 times
Quote:
Charlestown? That's an interesting observation, I don't know anyone in the Porter/Davis area that came from Charlestown. By far the most have come from Cambridge in my experience.
They may not have come from Charlestown but were priced out of Charlestown when they went looking there.

To the OP, I'd look at Malden or Everett as well as Chelsea as the next Somerville.

Old 04-07-2016, 09:20 AM

1,362 posts, read 874,933 times
Quote:
Well, that depends. I've seen people here in Somerville do extensive renovations and sell for a net profit.
There are plenty of places in Boston metro — with Somerville toward the top of the list — where you could go bananas with a sledge hammer and sell for a net profit. That has everything to do with location.

I agree with the recommendation to buy what and where you actually want to live. It's nice if your propety holds value or increases, but that should be considered a bonus, not the goal. My two suggestions would be to follow the millennia-old maxim: location, you know the rest; and, go condo (partly due to that's what you could maybe afford in good locations, and because SFHs are a pain). As a side note, if this really is about investing, good school systems help maintain value, so that should be a consideration, regardless of whether you've got kids or not.

A SFH is like an invasive species that starts creeping in on your free time. Before you know it, weekends aren't about meeting up with friends, ballgames or day trips, but rather dealing with maintenance and fighting mother nature. You're not married and you don't have kids. Don't waste the free time you still have on raking leaves and painting bathrooms.

Old 04-07-2016, 09:28 AM

344 posts, read 336,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robr2 View Post
They may not have come from Charlestown but were priced out of Charlestown when they went looking there.

To the OP, I'd look at Malden or Everett as well as Chelsea as the next Somerville.
That's really tough with a commute to Quincy. You'd be going with traffic until you're through the tunnel.

Old 04-07-2016, 09:57 AM

3,268 posts, read 3,325,212 times
I would say hyde park or parts of Dorchester. Both are in the city which makes them attractive to people, still very possible to get a nice house in both areas for 350 to 360k. Both are near the T. The value can only go up. I mean if people are going to say places like lynn and lawrence why the heck not dot or HP. If i had to make the choice id definitely pick both dot or hp over lynn/lawrence.

People are already priced out of roslindale, west roxburyband jp. If they want to stay in the city there arent many other options.

Last edited by Whatsnext75; 04-07-2016 at 10:00 AM.. Reason: Added

Old 04-07-2016, 10:04 AM

23,577 posts, read 18,730,403 times
Don't understand why Quincy is valued so much lower than Cambridge and Somerville. I understand those places appeal to single kids in their 20s, but Quincy has a much better QOL for those with families (so think that would be a wash). For between that and improvements in the works for Quincy Center (if that ever comes about), I think Quincy still has the most room for growth.

Old 04-07-2016, 10:08 AM

257 posts, read 258,564 times
Agreed, I can easily see Quincy prices taking off in the future - especially considering all the planned development.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts