Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2016, 07:28 PM

3,176 posts, read 3,700,201 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whatsnext75 View Post
Quincy is also much more conservative than somerville so that should be taken into consideration also.
Controlling for income, of course.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2016, 07:35 PM

1,298 posts, read 1,334,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
But schools are still better than Cambridge and Somerville, at least when I last looked.
Not anymore, though these things can be hard to measure. Cambridge Rindge and Latin is #5 high school in the state per Niche. Somerville High is 78 and Quincy High is 107. Elementary schools are more mixed in all 3 cities but you can usually get into excellent ones in Cambridge and Somerville, I don't know Quincy that well.

https://k12.niche.com/cambridge-rind...-cambridge-ma/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dm84 View Post
Controlling for income, of course.
That may have been tongue in cheek but it's actually very true, natives are MUCH more conservative than transplants.

Old 04-08-2016, 02:24 AM

5,792 posts, read 5,111,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwbms28 View Post
I think the OP should consider how much risk s/he is willing to assume, also.

Quincy homes appreciated 5.3% in 2015. By comparison, Framingham homes appreciated 7.7%, and in my opinion offer lower risk because of the better school system, some really nice parts of town, proximity to other nice towns, etc. Plus, homes in Framingham are worth more already and so offer a better return in total dollar terms, as well. Frankly I'm not sure why someone would ever buy a house in Quincy over Framingham from an investment standpoint - Quincy appears to offer lower return and higher risk during a downturn. The convenience is obviously another story particular to the OP's situation.

My earlier suggestion of Lawrence is intended as high risk with potential for high return - Lawrence homes appreciated 9.3% last year. But, if the goal is maximum return, I think this is the way to do it. Dorchester also has potential in this regard - that was a good suggestion earlier. You could even buy two houses in Lawrence and rent one out with $400,000. But, in a downturn you better have deep pockets. Maybe that's not what you're going for.

Look at Framingham.
FYI, Framingham H is ranked a 7, while North Quincy H is an 8. I think Framingham and Quincy are pretty much a toss up.

Old 04-08-2016, 02:32 AM

5,792 posts, read 5,111,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by semiurbanite View Post
Not anymore, though these things can be hard to measure. Cambridge Rindge and Latin is #5 high school in the state per Niche. Somerville High is 78 and Quincy High is 107. Elementary schools are more mixed in all 3 cities but you can usually get into excellent ones in Cambridge and Somerville, I don't know Quincy that well.
Actually, according to Niche, Quincy H is #81.

Old 04-08-2016, 08:26 AM

257 posts, read 258,564 times
Compared to Quincy, Framingham is out in the sticks. I could see future price increases in Quincy eclipsing Framingham based on proximity to the city and the more urban landscape - both appealing to millennial buyers.

Old 04-08-2016, 10:05 AM

3,268 posts, read 3,325,212 times
Default Re

Also in weymouth you could end up with neighbors like this:
Cops: Weymouth woman faces assault charges after fight outside primary school - News - The Patriot Ledger, Quincy, MA - Quincy, MA

Wasnt there also a recent incident where a 38 yr old cafeteria worker was having sex with a minor at a weymouth school?

Old 04-08-2016, 10:10 AM

344 posts, read 336,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whatsnext75 View Post
Also in weymouth you could end up with neighbors like this:
Cops: Weymouth woman faces assault charges after fight outside primary school - News - The Patriot Ledger, Quincy, MA - Quincy, MA

Wasnt there also a recent incident where a 38 yr old cafeteria worker was having sex with a minor at a weymouth school?
True, but statistically you're much more likely to end up with neighbors like that or worse in the other towns being bandied about.

Old 04-08-2016, 10:15 AM

3,268 posts, read 3,325,212 times
Default Re

prison-time-for-raping-15yearold/37924118

There it is.

Both weird events...but if i was thinking of buying in weymouth and came across this info and had children id probably want to look elsewhere. There are plenty of otjer towns where things like that dont happen

Old 04-08-2016, 10:22 AM

190 posts, read 202,385 times
Many years ago, a friend was looking for an apt. to rent in Somerville/ Cambridge and when he gave the agent his price, the agent said for that amount you get Everett. Maybe it is better now but I would not live in Everett or Chelsea. Weymouth is ok.

Old 04-08-2016, 10:43 AM

229 posts, read 384,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nobodybody View Post
Reasoning? Why do you opt condo over SF?
1. Your budget does not allow for a SFH in a good school district.
2. Alternatively, as investment, you buy where it is easy to rent out in future. And these places are mostly condos.
3. As investment, you need to extrapolate numbers. HOA costs is fixed. SFH maintenance isn't.
4. You're single. Why do you want to waste your weekends maintaining a SFH? And what would you do or use 3 bedrooms for?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts