Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2018, 07:43 AM

26,656 posts, read 28,659,091 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
Many people go and never set foot in the water. I've been going for years now and don't think I've ever swam off a cape cod beach. I've swam in Martha's Vineyard though.

Are there shark sightings on the inner cape area? I wonder if there is any sort of plot with their active area
Yes, I said a lot of people will still go, myself included, but many will not. This will impact local businesses that depend upon tourism. Personally, I'd love to see the Cape a little less crowded in summer but I doubt the businesses that depend upon tourism would feel the same way.

As for where the sharks are, Sharks Off Cape Cod - capecodtimes.com - Hyannis, MA

and Download Sharktivity
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2018, 07:45 AM

24,461 posts, read 17,203,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachcomber4 View Post
There have been calls to cull the herds of seals. Do some research about the environmental and financial impact they have had on local waters and the fishing industry. As a primary foos source, they have also drawn the white sharks here. The beaches are a major tourist draw and the Cape is a cash cow for the state. The danger of the sharks has been downplayed to protect that. That doctor who was bit was gravely injured. It was downplayed.

It’s time the state either relaxes the regs on population control or ante up funds for safety protocols.

It comes down to the seals are cute and killing them is not an option for many.

The seals are eating fish by the ton every single day and doing you know what also by the ton right into the water. We have so many problems with nitrogen and other things from septic systems leaching into the water and the fixes to prevent this are expensive but no one talks about the seals polluting the water.

I don't think the sharks have harmed the tourist industry that much. Sharks and seals are on most visitors minds and they want to see them. The beaches along the East coast of the Cape feature some very cold water and when there are hundreds of people on a beach there is only a handful in the water. I think this is due to how shockingly cold the water is and the would be bathers are thinking about sharks so many only venture about knee deep to cool off.

The surfers accept the risk of a shark attack like a bull rider getting into the ring knowing he might get gravely injured when the bull throws him.

The day after the man died from the shark attack surfers were seen back in the very same water catching the waves.

Old 09-17-2018, 08:19 AM

17,677 posts, read 9,155,986 times
Quote from Megyn Kelly Today: "This is the end of Cape Cod as we know it".

Old 09-17-2018, 08:55 AM

41,938 posts, read 36,935,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
It comes down to the seals are cute and killing them is not an option for many. .

It's not legal under Federal law. That shouldn't change, but who knows with this admin.

The story here is "man creates seal silhouette and is mistaken for seal". Seriously, if you were going to create a large shark fishing lure, being on a boogey board with a hook is the way to do it. Anyone with a clue wouldn't do this. Still, non issue, two in a hundred years is nothing.

Old 09-17-2018, 09:02 AM

1,899 posts, read 1,401,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redplum33 View Post

Old 09-17-2018, 10:14 AM

11,113 posts, read 19,530,348 times
Miss Megan loses more credibility, gains more ignorance.

Old 09-17-2018, 10:36 AM

15,793 posts, read 20,472,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redplum33 View Post
Nonsense.

Just need to hire this guy
http://basementrejects.com/wp-conten...jaws-quint.jpg

Last edited by CaseyB; 09-17-2018 at 11:50 AM..

Old 09-17-2018, 12:28 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,338,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
Yes, I said a lot of people will still go, myself included, but many will not. This will impact local businesses that depend upon tourism. Personally, I'd love to see the Cape a little less crowded in summer but I doubt the businesses that depend upon tourism would feel the same way.

As for where the sharks are, Sharks Off Cape Cod - capecodtimes.com - Hyannis, MA

and Download Sharktivity
?!

California, Florida, Hawaii...places that not only have sharks but also active conservation programs for their food sources. Places with shark encounters/attacks. Places TEEMING with tourists.

Brazil, Australia, the Red Sea...same, same, same...

Why would the tourists dry up at Cape Cod?

Old 09-17-2018, 12:56 PM

26,656 posts, read 28,659,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
?!

California, Florida, Hawaii...places that not only have sharks but also active conservation programs for their food sources. Places with shark encounters/attacks. Places TEEMING with tourists.

Brazil, Australia, the Red Sea...same, same, same...

Why would the tourists dry up at Cape Cod?
It's not going to "dry up." But if you read comments at the end of some of the articles, people are having second thoughts about taking their family vacations at the Cape. Their kids want to go into the water, parents get nervous. Some people get carried away with shark hysteria and will go elsewhere.

Plenty of people will still go to the Cape. They'll be more careful because there will be more warnings telling them to be careful. They can still swim in ponds--I always did, just waded in the ocean or paddled around, but for actual swimming, it was in a pond where you didn't have to contend with big waves.

And people will always go to the Cape for the salt air and the scenery. Maybe it will be marketed differently--who knows? I only go in spring or fall now anyway so I really don't care.

Old 09-17-2018, 01:28 PM

1,131 posts, read 1,260,374 times
I wonder if the guy was bitten and then dropped by the shark, as often happens, and then died of blood loss. Apparently they do confuse wet-suited surfers for seals, but they don't like how people taste (not blubbery enough?). Won't change anything about tourism, though I'll still go, and I stay out of the too-cold surfside anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts