Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-08-2020, 05:39 AM

7,925 posts, read 7,818,729 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrewsburried View Post

The elephant in the room is how public/private entities deal with this post-peak. No rationally minded employee over, say, 55 is going to want to return to an office surrounded by 20-40 somethings who are slithering through airports, public transit, bars, etc. like the good ol' days. There's also the liability aspect which might cause deep private sector pause. Lawyers might find interest in a bunch of boomers dying 4-5 months from now because their employer issued a return to work and put them at risk. I'm no legal mind, so I'm simply pondering here.
If there's one thing I learned working in retail long ago is that liabilities and insurance are huge factors in anything.

I think eventually it might go down to this. The vast majority of employers are going to find out ways to do work online to allow for remote work. if you really want to come back to the office you either have to be tested and have nothing or have some sort of vaccine so at least there's been an attempt to remedy any exposure.

Sometimes things do come back. I had a grandmother by some form of blanket from a Goodwill store that told her that kittens slept on it (as if that means anything) . Her apartment had had to be fumigated 3 times.

Student dorms in large convention centers are being areas for testing or for housing people that are sick. The state has made the argument that the MassMutual Center might be used as a treatment area. the hotel across the street from it now has u.s. flags hanging up blocking the Holiday Inn Express logo and is most likely being used to house First Responders.

okay that's all well and good but who in their right mind wants to go back to some hotel or Convention Center or sporting Arena that has been used for this? How can they say it's highly contagious and then say let's House people in some of the largest venues?

Even just the general Association of death and sickness can cause people to stop doing things. When World War 2 ended my grandfather saw a truck that had a stack of dead bodies on it. Later on that day that same truck showed up with racks of lamb for sale. He never ate a piece of lamb from that point forward.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2020, 06:08 AM

14,022 posts, read 15,028,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bridge781 View Post
Well seems like a lot of hospital workers are still getting covid even though they should have the n95 masks by now.
The 95 in n95 means 95% efficient if you’re around sick people 12 hours a day for weeks on end you’re going to have issues eventually. (Plus they are re using them more than they should)

Old 04-08-2020, 07:12 AM

3,808 posts, read 3,139,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayrandom View Post
It sounds like your experience with "millenial males" comes mostly from an angry expose you read in a 2005 Reader's Digest. How many do you actually know? (I'm also curious how many people you actually know who wear Patek watches?)
You don't own a Patek? I'm more of a Swiss-ETA-in-a-Taiwanese-case man myself (or Oris), but when I'm projecting on the internet I prefer to toss out something like JLC ... and yes, one must abbreviate to further project.

Old 04-08-2020, 07:38 AM

15,799 posts, read 20,504,199 times
No Patek here. That thing would get busted in a minute while i'm out wrestling coyotes down with my bare hands.

Old 04-08-2020, 07:41 AM

5,037 posts, read 6,926,821 times
Quote:
You don't own a Patek? I'm more of a Swiss-ETA-in-a-Taiwanese-case man myself (or Oris), but when I'm projecting on the internet I prefer to toss out something like JLC ... and yes, one must abbreviate to further project.
Say this about the European model (and to a lesser extent in the UK), they let their elite be their elite. In the US, we seem to do the opposite. We want our millionaire and billionaire leaders to pretend to be working class and then let them sell the working class vastly overpriced luxury good so they can pretend to be upper class.

Boris Johnson is a funny case because while he is solidly middle class, he pretends to be upper class so effectively that people forget. He never will forget, though.

FWIW, I wear a cheap digital watch. Not because I can't tell analog time but because I prefer to spend my family's limited timekeeping budget on genuine cuckoo clocks from Germany.

Old 04-08-2020, 08:12 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,259,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayrandom View Post
FWIW, I wear a cheap digital watch. Not because I can't tell analog time but because I prefer to spend my family's limited timekeeping budget on genuine cuckoo clocks from Germany.

People actually wear watches? I have a phone in my pocket if I need to know what time it is. I haven't worn a watch in 20+ years. I switched from a Nokia candybar-format phone to a Motorola flip phone in August, 2000.

I thought watches were male bling like gold chains unless you're a pilot, diver, or wear a stethoscope around your neck?

I see Governor Baker has an $800 million hospital bailout targeted at the heavy Medicaid hospitals. My girlfriend is a regional director for a hospital holding company. They're getting crushed financially. She furloughed half her staff in her hospitals on Monday and is taking a pay cut. One of her hospitals will be getting some money but it's a drop in the bucket compared to the enormous losses projected for the quarter.

Old 04-08-2020, 08:18 AM

2,556 posts, read 2,284,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RBThescot View Post
Boris Johnson is a man who knows how to gain power and wield it, often with a sense of humor... ways of being that are attractive.

Millennial males, I hesitate to call them men, as a broad generalization, are whiney and self centered.

Just take clothes as an example, for a reference point. BoJo wears a well constructed, real man's leather shoe and a proper suit designed for a man's body. I usually see a hint of a vintage Omega, Patek or other mechanical watch at his cuffs. Of course he attracts good looking young women. Sure he's fat but he has style.

Millennial males almost always wear sneakers, like they're still pre school kids. And the skinny jeans? LOL. Unless you're on stage with the Rolling Stones, no man should be seen in skinny jeans. They look like girls leggings. Even worse is the skinny suit with the jacket two sizes too small. Who's gonna take that seriously? Most of them aren't capable of telling analog time, they need big numbers. Again, like pre school. I don't think there's enough time left to fix it.

Can we PLEASE keep this discussion on topic? If you want to continue in this vein, I'm sure there is an appropriate sub-forum for it.

This thread is important for those of us who want to discuss this crisis, share information and commiserate. Let's please keep it on the right track.

Old 04-08-2020, 08:19 AM

3,808 posts, read 3,139,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
People actually wear watches? I have a phone in my pocket if I need to know what time it is. I haven't worn a watch in 20+ years. I switched from a Nokia candybar-format phone to a Motorola flip phone in August, 2000.

I thought watches were male bling like gold chains unless you're a pilot, diver, or wear a stethoscope around your neck?
Pretty much. I do wear my diver at the beach or when backpacking. Phone stays locked in the glovebox.

Old 04-08-2020, 08:28 AM

18,726 posts, read 33,396,751 times
Quote:
Pretty much. I do wear my diver at the beach or when backpacking. Phone stays locked in the glovebox.
I wear a watch and keep it mostly at home for power failures on the digital time readings in my house. I don't want to use my phone as a watch, it's for calls and texts. Use a laptop for other computer needs.

When I was working, I always kept a battery clock for alarm use, since I worked night shifts and there were often power failures.

Old 04-08-2020, 08:32 AM

15,865 posts, read 21,445,747 times
One of my dearest friend's father passed away last night from coronavirus in NYC after 6 days in the ICU. He was in his 80s, but spry, lived on his own, and was very active. You wouldn't have known his age by talking to him. He left his apartment twice in the 3 weeks before he got sick. Twice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RBThescot View Post
Millennial males, I hesitate to call them men, as a broad generalization, are whiney and self centered.

Just take clothes as an example, for a reference point. BoJo wears a well constructed, real man's leather shoe and a proper suit designed for a man's body. I usually see a hint of a vintage Omega, Patek or other mechanical watch at his cuffs. Of course he attracts good looking young women. Sure he's fat but he has style.

Millennial males almost always wear sneakers, like they're still pre school kids. And the skinny jeans? LOL. Unless you're on stage with the Rolling Stones, no man should be seen in skinny jeans. They look like girls leggings. Even worse is the skinny suit with the jacket two sizes too small. Who's gonna take that seriously? Most of them aren't capable of telling analog time, they need big numbers. Again, like pre school. I don't think there's enough time left to fix it.

Stay mad, boo boo. I take them a lot more seriously than someone crying about other's fashion choices in a pandemic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts