Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-04-2020, 03:41 PM

3,398 posts, read 1,548,545 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
The county with the most deaths in GAis in Southern GA not Atlanta.

Population density doesn’t matter much if you are going to church, bars, etc that are full.
the reason why china had so many problems was because its densely populated. new york city is really bad because its densely populated.

ya going to bars will make things worse but dense populations are huge contributors. we should of lockdown right when we got our first cases. I would of shut the border of the united states when this was happening in china in january.

there are places in india that are even more densely populated then china.

maybee the age demographic is older in southern GA. I would be completely comofortable going into a bar in North Dakota.

Last edited by justyouraveragetenant; 04-04-2020 at 03:55 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2020, 04:00 PM

17,738 posts, read 9,187,561 times
Churches are a major problem.

Old 04-04-2020, 04:00 PM

9,093 posts, read 6,314,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
The county with the most deaths in GAis in Southern GA not Atlanta.

Population density doesn’t matter much if you are going to church, bars, etc that are full.
Rural southerners are very religious. So are the Italians. Surviving pandemics requires people to be able to adjust their social habits from time to time. Italians could not refrain from attending church, and practicing their touchy-feely greetings until it was too late. I think the religious areas regardless of density will get hit hard just a little later on. Rural areas that are non-religious will suffer the least amount of damage from the pandemic. Those areas have a form of social distancing built into their daily routines.

Quote:
Originally Posted by justyouraveragetenant View Post
the reason why china had so many problems was because its densely populated. new york city is really bad because its densely populated.

ya going to bars will make things worse but dense populations are huge contributors. we should of lockdown right when we got our first cases. I would of shut the border of the united states when this was happening in china in january.

there are places in india that are even more densely populated then china.

maybee the age demographic is older in southern GA.
The primary drivers of the pandemic are population density and intercontinental travel.

Old 04-04-2020, 04:15 PM

17,738 posts, read 9,187,561 times
Researchers may have found coronavirus’ Achilles heel

Old 04-04-2020, 04:40 PM

15,796 posts, read 20,499,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
Do you think that avoiding a county or town is the best way to go or most helpful?Not trying to be difficult but shouldn't one assume that everyone is infectious and possibly not symptomatic?

Yes, I’m svoiding everywhere right now, but it would be helpful to know what regions of where we live are being impacted the most. Dense areas? Sparse areas? Etc.

At some point, we will need to get out of our homes. It would be useful to know this info

Old 04-04-2020, 04:57 PM

2,352 posts, read 1,779,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
It also begs the question - if it was circulating widely due to community spread then, why are hospitals only overloaded now? And I'm not talking everyone with a sniffle running to the ER in a panic, I mean the real and quantifiable need for ventilators.
Perhaps it's mutated to be more contagious (and/or potent) and that version took some time to get here. People getting sick enough from the Regular Flu to require a ventilator isn't uncommon.

What gets me is the amount of people who tested positive and have no symptoms or only very minor.

Old 04-04-2020, 05:28 PM

18,725 posts, read 33,390,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
Yes, I’m svoiding everywhere right now, but it would be helpful to know what regions of where we live are being impacted the most. Dense areas? Sparse areas? Etc.
At some point, we will need to get out of our homes. It would be useful to know this info
https://www.arcgis.com/apps/opsdashb...23467b48e9ecf6

Go to the left, select U.S., select Admin 1 at the bottom of that column, and you get the states. Select Massachusetts and then select Admin 2 at the bottom, and you get the counties in descending order of confirmed number of cases.

It's a good graphic, if you haven't seen it yet. From Johns Hopkins School of Engineering. Updated every day as far as I know with info from public health agencies.

Old 04-04-2020, 05:42 PM

24,559 posts, read 18,254,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redplum33 View Post
People need those delivery jobs.
What I wrote was ambiguous. What I meant was that geezers and people with health issues should get first crack at food delivery. Younger healthy people can use the remaining slots.

Old 04-04-2020, 06:14 PM

15,861 posts, read 21,441,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
Do you think that avoiding a county or town is the best way to go or most helpful?Not trying to be difficult but shouldn't one assume that everyone is infectious and possibly not symptomatic?

It's an emotional response and while it might not be critically valid, we need to grasp for whatever helps.

For instance, my town (Marlborough) seems to have a fairly high number of cases compared to what is being reported in other towns. At one point, Marlborough had 50+ reported cases and Framingham had more than 100, but Sudbury next door had 2. I don't know if all towns are reporting the same way, and honestly can't even find where I got that initial info. There are logical reasons for that - lower income towns as a whole with lots of essential workers, higher amounts of limited English speakers who might not have been getting full information, and more density. Does that mean I'm safer going to the Sudbury Whole Foods or Shaw's versus the Marlborough Pricechopper? Probably not. In fact, Pricechopper's wider aisles actually probably make it a safer bet than a more crowded Whole Foods, but it certainly gave me pause when considering where to get groceries.

I'm also taking my cat litter out every other day versus every day now that I have been informed that someone in my complex tested positive. There's no reason to believe it's even someone in my building and I interact with no one to take the trash to the basement, but even though I am careful with my hands, leave my shoes at the door, and wash my hands and arms when I get back inside, it's that emotional toll of *knowing* that it's more present in my life rather than assuming that it is.

I am enthused by the new contract tracing program that will offer temporary work from home to 1000 people to augment current tracing efforts. This. Is. Essential. I hope and pray more states follow suit.

Old 04-04-2020, 06:50 PM

18,725 posts, read 33,390,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
It's an emotional response and while it might not be critically valid, we need to grasp for whatever helps.

I am enthused by the new contract tracing program that will offer temporary work from home to 1000 people to augment current tracing efforts. This. Is. Essential. I hope and pray more states follow suit.

You're right, of course, about the emotional response. I have been accused more than once of thinking people are more rational than they actually are. Its a curse!

What is the new contract tracing program that you refer to, or contact tracing?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts