Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-26-2021, 12:15 PM

4,665 posts, read 4,980,348 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
I would think ANYone who works in a hospital has to know that they will be exposed to sick people and would want to protect themselves.
And yet many people choose not to -- that's my point. Why is that? Have we ever asked them?

We're supposedly all getting vaccinated in large part so we don't make their work lives in the hospital -- whatever they do there, they still go to the hospital every day -- a living hell. And yet, a lot of THEM won't get vaccinated. Does that make us adjust our priors about this crisis at all? I feel like it should.

At the very least, let's stop implying nurses don't have anything valuable to offer the conversation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2021, 12:39 PM

2,435 posts, read 1,321,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tribecavsbrowns View Post
And yet many people choose not to -- that's my point. Why is that? Have we ever asked them?

We're supposedly all getting vaccinated in large part so we don't make their work lives in the hospital -- whatever they do there, they still go to the hospital every day -- a living hell. And yet, a lot of THEM won't get vaccinated. Does that make us adjust our priors about this crisis at all? I feel like it should.

At the very least, let's stop implying nurses don't have anything valuable to offer the conversation.
A few of THEM won't get vaccinated. I know you'd like to make this some legitimate concern, but it's not. The first thing this misinformed group wants (but the last thing it needs) is legitimacy. Questions have been asked of this group, and the answers that come back only reaffirm that it's not credible.

By your logic, "many" people believe the Earth is flat. Why is that? Hint: it's not because they're on to something. On something, perhaps, but not on to something.

Saying that because they are nurses their opinions in the matter have some value to add is argumentum ad verecundiam. Present the data and evidence, not an authority. By this part of your logic, Dr. Fauci is even more of an expert than mere nurses, yet I'm pretty sure you give his opinion little weight.

Old 08-26-2021, 12:57 PM

4,665 posts, read 4,980,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by id77 View Post
A few of THEM won't get vaccinated. I know you'd like to make this some legitimate concern, but it's not. The first thing this misinformed group wants (but the last thing it needs) is legitimacy. Questions have been asked of this group, and the answers that come back only reaffirm that it's not credible.

By your logic, "many" people believe the Earth is flat. Why is that? Hint: it's not because they're on to something. On something, perhaps, but not on to something.

Saying that because they are nurses their opinions in the matter have some value to add is argumentum ad verecundiam. Present the data and evidence, not an authority. By this part of your logic, Dr. Fauci is even more of an expert than mere nurses, yet I'm pretty sure you give his opinion little weight.
Everyone wants legitimacy. We're human beings. That's not New-Age BS, it's just pragmatic. You won't convince anyone of anything if you don't acknowledge them as a human being with an honestly formed viewpoint.

Old 08-26-2021, 01:38 PM

24,559 posts, read 18,269,032 times
Quote:
Everyone wants legitimacy. We're human beings. That's not New-Age BS, it's just pragmatic. You won't convince anyone of anything if you don't acknowledge them as a human being with an honestly formed viewpoint.
Just because someone has a viewpoint doesn’t mean it’s correct. The drunk sitting at the bar spouting lunatic conspiracy theories has a viewpoint. I’m certainly not listening to that.

Old 08-26-2021, 02:04 PM

3,398 posts, read 1,549,967 times
My theory why some nurses might be reluctant to get these vaccines is they have treated people with adverse side effects from the vaccine. I know a couple of people who had trouble breathing right after they got the vaccine. My neighbor knows two people who lost vision in thier eyes. They didn't go blind but lost vision in one eye. This vaccine has caused more adverse effects than other vaccines.

Old 08-26-2021, 02:07 PM

16,412 posts, read 8,198,277 times
Some people just dont want to put anything 'unnatural' into their bodies. I know people who ONLY eat organic foods and others who wont even take tylenol. I think it's rare these days for people to not vaccinate their children but they are out there. So it doesnt surprise me that there are people taking a stance again this vaccine, I just dont know why.

My MIL is 76, overweight, has diabetes and asthma and she is not vaccinated. I have not asked her why and I dont think my husband has gotten into it with her either. WHY someone who is 76 with all those problems is afraid of a vaccine is beyond me. I do think it's a political thing though too as I've seen her boyfriends rants on facebook. My husband ultimately told her she couldnt stay at our house with all that's going on with the variant.

Old 08-26-2021, 02:07 PM

3,398 posts, read 1,549,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justyouraveragetenant View Post
They why the hell are they bringing the masks back? It's not about a virus but control. The massechusetts residents have stolkhome syndrome because the state is holding them captive with unnecessary restrictions and next the lockdowns will come.

there is a covid cult that many belong too in mass.
No one answers why we have to wear masks when massechusetts has such a low death rate right now. It's absurd.

Old 08-26-2021, 02:13 PM

16,412 posts, read 8,198,277 times
Default re

Quote:
No one answers why we have to wear masks when massechusetts has such a low death rate right now. It's absurd.
Apparently it's the right thing to do and it will supposedly slow the spread.

Old 08-26-2021, 02:23 PM

24,559 posts, read 18,269,032 times
Quote:
Because masks lower the transmission rate. Period. The end.

Old 08-26-2021, 02:24 PM

2,435 posts, read 1,321,214 times
Quote:
They are acknowledged and respected as humans, but that's not the same as saying their far-fetched opinions on something deserve as much weight or appreciation as actual evidence-supporting conclusions reached via pragmatic, scientific approaches. Every claim I've seen relies on correlation implying causation. That's logical fallacy 101 material.

It might not be New-Age BS, but it is BS to imply as such. When evaluating something pragmatically, as irrational as it may seem to you that if 1000 people did X and 100 of them died two weeks later, X has absolutely 0 relevance to those 100 deaths simply because it happened soon before. Figure out why 100 people died, and if that analysis leads back to X, then and only then does X become a suspect.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts