Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2020, 06:36 PM

1,298 posts, read 1,332,972 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
So the 50% who fail should just give up and join that club? You are blaming the institution of marriage, rather than the individuals. And at the same time you won't blame the individuals, you yet seem to have little faith in mankind. Puzzling, to say the least.
Just perspective I guess - I truly believe many people were not cut out for monogamy - and the stats prove that out. Has nothing to do with a lack of faith in mankind, more like a lack of faith in monogamous marriage for everyone, so bring on other options.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2020, 09:24 AM

28,097 posts, read 29,963,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shayy17 View Post
I’ve heard of some Mormons practicing polygamy but I haven’t met a single Muslim practicing polygamy in the US.
The practice of polygamy is an excommunicable offense in The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (the church you probably call the Mormon Church) and has been for years. There are a few splinter groups that practice it but they are no more a part of the main LDS Church than Lutheranism is a part of Catholicism, the church it split from four centuries ago.

Old 07-14-2020, 09:43 AM

2,435 posts, read 1,321,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
The practice of polygamy is an excommunicable offense in The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (the church you probably call the Mormon Church) and has been for years. There are a few splinter groups that practice it but they are no more a part of the main LDS Church than Lutheranism is a part of Catholicism, the church it split from four centuries ago.
True story. FLDS is the guilty party today, but it obscures the fact President Woodruff only issued the Manifesto to end it within the LDS church because the church caved to pressure to join the US (which would not admit them with polygamy sanctioned) and not because it was actually something they didn't believe in anymore.

The question I've occasionally wondered is, if the prevailing social attitude toward polygamy changed toward favorable again, would the LDS church reverse the decision and start allowing it again?

Old 07-14-2020, 10:17 AM

2,674 posts, read 1,547,966 times
I know people who weren’t cut out for monogamy either. They’ve stayed single and date when they feel like it.

Old 07-14-2020, 10:30 AM

18,725 posts, read 33,390,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
Polygamy is banned in all 50 states, including both Utah and Massachusetts. Even Mormons did away with it in 1882. Muslims are pretty much the only major group left practicing it now. Well, Muslims and Somerville hipsters I guess.
I worked with a Kenyan guy who had a wife and four kids. He was complaining to our American coworker that, in Kenya, he'd have enough money for several wives! The American guy, complaining about his wife and three kids all the time, asked why anyone would want more than one wife if any at all.

I learned a lot about *some* men working nights with them.

When I knew poly people, it sure wasn't only the men who were poly. But there was no legal standing for any of them except, then, one man and one woman, so no insurance or Soc. Security survivor, etc. I imagine that is what the people in Somerville are aiming at, not group marriage per se.

Old 07-14-2020, 10:31 AM

15,796 posts, read 20,504,199 times
I haven't read the actual Somerville law, but does it give legal standing?

Old 07-14-2020, 11:23 AM

10,020 posts, read 15,665,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
I haven't read the actual Somerville law, but does it give legal standing?
It aims to provide domestic partner benefits which is legal but those are limited to one person at a time anyway.

Old 07-14-2020, 03:19 PM

1,298 posts, read 1,332,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bridge781 View Post
I know people who weren’t cut out for monogamy either. They’ve stayed single and date when they feel like it.
That’s one option, some people want kids.

Old 07-14-2020, 06:10 PM

2,674 posts, read 1,547,966 times
Default Re

Quote:
Originally Posted by semiurbanite View Post
That’s one option, some people want kids.
They can still have them without being married to several people lol. I actually know a few people who couldn’t commit to one person who still actually have kids.

Old 07-15-2020, 08:40 AM

28,097 posts, read 29,963,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by id77 View Post
True story. FLDS is the guilty party today, but it obscures the fact President Woodruff only issued the Manifesto to end it within the LDS church because the church caved to pressure to join the US (which would not admit them with polygamy sanctioned) and not because it was actually something they didn't believe in anymore.

The question I've occasionally wondered is, if the prevailing social attitude toward polygamy changed toward favorable again, would the LDS church reverse the decision and start allowing it again?
No. I doubt that very, very, very much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts