Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2020, 10:40 AM

2,435 posts, read 1,320,796 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
And how many kids do you have? Shall I guess?
What does having or not having children have to do with this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2020, 10:47 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,962,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseyB View Post
Sounds like some kind of insurance scam.
Conservative types cried the same thing about domestic partnerships (while fighting gay marriage) years ago, and what do you know, it was a non issue.

Old 07-03-2020, 10:48 AM

23,561 posts, read 18,707,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Indeed, this is a great step.
Step for what? Promoting perversion?
Quote:
I am sure "smaller goverment" and "keep government out of my personal life" right wingers will find a way to have a problem with this. Probably by some mental gymnastics involving some judeo christian morality they wish to impose on others.
You got that all backwards my friend. This creates MORE government. The goverment's role, is to foster a healthy, stable and prosperous society. Full stop. Which one of those things, does Somerville's latest debauchery accomplish?

We are well aware that you live a fringe lifestyle. I get it. Not the point. Not anybody else's concern. You were free to do "you" all along, fwiw. This about what's best for SOCIETY, and what is not.

Old 07-03-2020, 12:28 PM

604 posts, read 561,717 times
How does this negatively impact you?

Old 07-03-2020, 12:36 PM

24,559 posts, read 18,259,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
Step for what? Promoting perversion?

You got that all backwards my friend. This creates MORE government. The goverment's role, is to foster a healthy, stable and prosperous society. Full stop. Which one of those things, does Somerville's latest debauchery accomplish?

We are well aware that you live a fringe lifestyle. I get it. Not the point. Not anybody else's concern. You were free to do "you" all along, fwiw. This about what's best for SOCIETY, and what is not.
So who appointed you as Ayatollah?

Old 07-03-2020, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BosYuppie View Post
I'm a member of society. You should try joining it sometime.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
So who appointed you as Ayatollah?
Nobody. You?

Old 07-03-2020, 01:25 PM

41,936 posts, read 36,962,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BosYuppie View Post
Some people think mutually consenting adults engaged in committed loving relationships are a threat if it isn't done in accordance with their personal dogmatic religious views. Same people often think gay couples are perverted or an affront. It's the same mindset.

The benefits of recognizing committed loving relationships, which are a foundation of society, and allowing people engaged in them to better support each other in difficult times (health concerns) is not only incredibly obvious; it takes some next level hate to want to prevent that and hurt these people or deligitimitize their relationships in the name of preventing "perversion".

Last edited by timberline742; 07-03-2020 at 01:48 PM..

Old 07-03-2020, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Some people think mutually consenting adults engaged in committed loving relationships are a threat if it isn't done in accordance with their personal dogmatic religious views. Same people often think gay couples are pervelrted or an affront. It's the same mindset.

The benefits of recognizing committed loving relationships, which are a foundation of society, and allowing people engaged in them to better support each other in difficult times (health concerns) is not only incredibly obvious. It takes some next level hate to want to prevent that and hurt these people or deligitimitize their relationships in the name of "perversion".
Bro if having 2, 3, 4, 5 (whatever) wives or "partners" is so paramount to your health; maybe you should move back to Somerville and KUDOS to you. I just feel for the kids that will be increasingly caught up in this mess (through no fault of their own), thanks to a negligent city government that is promoting this depravity. Sorry if I have higher expectations for myself and human kind, than you apparently do.

I do happen to "know of" one of these "families". While the 3 adults are a total bunch of losers and I could care less how much they further degrade their existence, it's so sad to hear of the 2 kids being subject to that environment. They are a mess.

Old 07-03-2020, 01:53 PM

26,654 posts, read 28,682,916 times
I don't know but it seems as though once a society starts flaunting the usual rules, it signals the beginning of the end. Like the fall of the Roman Empire. Anything goes. Do what you want. Marry three people at the same time and have kids with anyone and it's all good.

Not that there couldn't be some merit to this, but I think it represents a slippery slope and the lines between acceptable and unacceptable, right and wrong, are wearing too thin. (The reason I moved away from Northampton/Amherst 20 years ago.) Sometimes we need to put on the brakes and stick to the ways and traditions that have worked pretty well in this country for so long.

Last edited by in_newengland; 07-04-2020 at 08:59 AM..

Old 07-03-2020, 02:03 PM

7,924 posts, read 7,814,489 times
Despite what some might think I don't really think Northampton and Amherst that that much to the left. What happens on campus generally stays on campus and most of the students don't vote or pay taxes (outside of meals and sales) anyway.

I'm not against something like this but this is going to take awhile to sort out for issues like alimony and child support. A long time ago I knew a woman that got divorced and then married months later, so did her ex. Well now ALL the grandparents want to see the grandkids and they are all across the country. Yeah good luck with that. I think Utah dealt with this long ago. We already have established family courts that deal with many of these issues so I don't think this is that huge of a leap.

Initially at the headline I thought this was about the quadruple shooting the other night which is much more concerning.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts