Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-17-2022, 09:53 AM

23,561 posts, read 18,707,417 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
I just kind of feel like no one is interested in coming up with a solution at this point. No one wants to create more housing and people are fine with the fact that many jobs have disappeared due to automation. Alright then, I guess this is how we livin'.

On the housing part it's not going to change, because the powers that be are influenced by the same crowd that dominates this forum. Don't have to like it, but it's reality. The automation part, it doesn't matter if people are OK or not OK with it because that's irreversible. But one thing we do need more of is mid-skill level manufacturing that this state could support more of in places like Fall River or Fitchburg, but the Boston centric leadership has no interest or motivation in doing so. Is what it is. Don't come talking to me about it, because I voted for none of these clowns.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2022, 09:55 AM

21,631 posts, read 12,766,606 times
[quote=maclel;63099176]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post

1) What do you mean by 65%? 65% is buildable plots of land, the vast majority of which are already developed.

2) Where are you getting your 20% from? Are you telling me Newton is at 20?

3) Let me understand what you are saying. Are you defending destroying our preserved natural environment at the altar of "progress"?
1) The bolded isnt true. Not a chance.

2) State average is 25% protected land.

3) Most of it, >50%, only became protected since the mid-1980s. So yes.

Old 03-17-2022, 09:56 AM

122 posts, read 81,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
Nobody said Boston should annex Brookline and Newton!

But have you ever been to Nashville?

All within the metro (city/county) boundaries:

A lot different/worse than Brookline/Newton/Belmont?

The horror!!!

People like you would just as well put up a wall around Eastern Mass. to prevent us subjected serfs from getting a glimpse of the "outside world". And somebody was talking about Soviet policies?
You are wrong asserting "nobody said" that. I have read in this thread people arguing we should have central planners determine the common good and not the towns. How is that not a de facto annexation of Brookline and Newton and every other town.

I don't understand your argument regarding Nashville. Yes, that looks similar to a suburb here. What does that prove? Who has said anything about one form of government leading inexorably to a type of development.

The problem of presuming to know what other people think is that one is usually wrong. I would very much like to do the opposite. Somebody mentioned relocating can be expensive and thus a hurdle. I would very much be in favor of providing financial incentives for folks who are unhappy here to relocate elsewhere. That would be good for them, good for the national economy and probably good for the Commonwealth's coffers.

Old 03-17-2022, 09:57 AM

16,395 posts, read 8,187,139 times
Default re

Quote:
On the housing part it's not going to change, because the powers that be are influenced by the same crowd that dominates this forum. Don't have to like it, but it's reality. The automation part, it doesn't matter if people are OK or not OK with it because that's irreversible. But one thing we do need more of is mid-skill level manufacturing that this state could support more of in places like Fall River or Fitchburg, but the Boston centric leadership has no interest or motivation in doing so. Is what it is. Don't come talking to me about it, because I voted for none of these clowns.
it's also the fault of the big tech and pharma companies who planted their asses here and will only hire people with certain credentials and pay them 500k a year. That has absolutely contributed to this housing mess. As I said there are people moving to Boston from all over the world for these jobs. They are paying astronomical amounts to live in a basic house to take the 500k a year job. This is why the people making 60k a year or sh*t even 100k a year cant find housing.

Old 03-17-2022, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maclel View Post
You are wrong asserting "nobody said" that. I have read in this thread people arguing we should have central planners determine the common good and not the towns. How is that not a de facto annexation of Brookline and Newton and every other town.

I don't understand your argument regarding Nashville. Yes, that looks similar to a suburb here. What does that prove? Who has said anything about one form of government leading inexorably to a type of development.

The problem of presuming to know what other people think is that one is usually wrong. I would very much like to do the opposite. Somebody mentioned relocating can be expensive and thus a hurdle. I would very much be in favor of providing financial incentives for folks who are unhappy here to relocate elsewhere. That would be good for them, good for the national economy and probably good for the Commonwealth's coffers.

You are talking in circles.

Old 03-17-2022, 10:01 AM

2,066 posts, read 1,073,200 times
Quote:
Who said anything about a ghetto? You are bringing your own preconceptions to this debate.

All I am saying is that a) there is a very real ceiling to housing availability in the area which is dictated by its historical development course and we are pretty close to it, and b) central planning would have led to a worse outcome for the area.

It sounds like rather than debating my statements you would rather disqualify my discourse. I thought there was a higher level of discourse in this forum.
Funny thing him and his ilk are the first one screeching about any kind of market-rate housing - it's subsidized or bust! And that's the reason why nothing gets built - safe wealthy towns have nothing against developments that will bring in newcomers similar to the existing population, be it single family homes or condos, but they will fight subsidized housing tooth and nail, rightfully so.

Last edited by WestieWhitie; 03-17-2022 at 10:54 AM..

Old 03-17-2022, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
it's also the fault of the big tech and pharma companies who planted their asses here and will only hire people with certain credentials and pay them 500k a year. That has absolutely contributed to this housing mess. As I said there are people moving to Boston from all over the world for these jobs. They are paying astronomical amounts to live in a basic house to take the 500k a year job. This is why the people making 60k a year cant find housing.

Not sure why you would blame the ones creating jobs and economic activity, and for wanting to hire the best and brightest in order to succeed in what they do. That is how the world (at least the free-market one) works. The Boston area is large enough where it should be able to accommodate it, and more but it fails to. Almost like a spoiled child with everything handed to them that most others would kill for, yet squanders it on drugs/booze and never gets their $hit together as an adult.

122 posts, read 81,911 times
[quote=BostonBornMassMade;63099276]
Quote:

1) The bolded isnt true. Not a chance.

2) State average is 25% protected land.

3) Most of it, >50%, only became protected since the mid-1980s. So yes.
1) Use your common sense please. Do you think folks are letting fallow land sit idle? Of course not. Why do you think people tear down homes? Just look at the GIS maps. You can count with your hands how many empty lots there are. It might look "empty" to you because the houses sit a distance from each other but that does not mean there is an empty lot in between.

2) State average is VERY different from Greater Boston average. Do I really need to explain you this? Newton is way below that. Just look at the GIS map. https://gis2.ci.newton.ma.us/browser.html Moreover, a very large percentage of the land is wetlands and not suitable for construction.

3) Where are you getting that number from? Plus, land might have become protected recently, but that is usually because it wasn't threatened before. There are extremely very few instances of developed land going back to a natural state.

1,540 posts, read 1,125,040 times
Quote:
Then there'd be threads with people complaining about higher priced (American made) goods.

Old 03-17-2022, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by simplexsimon View Post
Then there'd be threads with people complaining about higher priced (American made) goods.

Huh??? This is stuff they are doing in other states.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts