Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-17-2022, 03:58 PM

6,808 posts, read 6,045,258 times

Advertisements

I’d liken towns like Weston to a man who’s hired a team of bodyguard to ensure he has a 10ft radius of personal space at all times while he rides the red line through dtx during rush hour.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2022, 04:12 PM

16,399 posts, read 8,198,277 times
Default Re

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston Shudra View Post
I’d liken towns like Weston to a man who’s hired a team of bodyguard to ensure he has a 10ft radius of personal space at all times while he rides the red line through dtx during rush hour.
Not really. Anyone can move there if they have the money and a home becomes available. Weston has some of the best public schools in the State.

I have only lived in one other city before this San Diego and the situation there was similar maybe even worse. Wealthy people lived in places like La Jolla, Del Mar, Coronado, rancho Santa Fe. It was know that you had to be doing well in order to live there. There were other nice places to live like because well it’s San Diego. I worked at a substitute and you could definitely tell when you were in a rich suburb vs a not so rich one. I remember being a substitute teacher to a class of 4th graders and I was 24. One day the class asked how old I was and when I told them I was astounded by how many said my mom is 24 too! I was thinking wow so she was 14 or 15 when she had you, ok. San Diego also had a major immigration issue being so close to the border but those wealthier towns were untouchable to many and I’m sure they didn’t want their schools being crowded with the kids illegal Mexicans.

Unfortunately money is always going to be the key to living in any nice suburb but I don’t think people should be forced to move out of an entire area based on a chosen profession. It’s just sad to see the more affordable towns being take over and the locals being forced out. Medford has apparently become unaffordable now.

Old 03-17-2022, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
Not really. Anyone can move there if they have the money and a home becomes available.
Anyone can hire bodyguards if they have the money.

Quote:
I have only lived in one other city before this San Diego and the situation there was similar maybe even worse. Wealthy people lived in places like La Jolla, Del Mar, Coronado, rancho Santa Fe. It was know that you had to be doing well in order to live there.
Other places being worse doesn’t make it acceptable for Boston to be bad.

Quote:
Medford has apparently become unaffordable now.
Looks like the median house price in Medford is $551,900 per the last census. Maybe later I’ll do a deeper dive into how prices have changed per town per year. Sounds kinda interesting.

Old 03-17-2022, 05:31 PM

Just looks at the article from Boston magazine someone posted here not long ago.

Old 03-17-2022, 05:41 PM

Crunched some numbers.

The median household income in MA is $84,385. I checked my own pay on my company's online portal and, as a single person without kids, about 24% of my gross is withheld every paycheck for MA and federal taxes combined.

So assuming no money back in tax returns and a 50/30/20 budget where 20% of a person's after-tax income is saved per paycheck, it would take 8.6 years for the median household to save up for a 20% downpayment (or $110,380.0) on the median house in Medford. This assumes that they are not saving for anything else: kids' college, a car, a vacation, etc.

Old 03-17-2022, 05:44 PM

122 posts, read 81,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston Shudra View Post
I'd liken a town like Somerville to a man who chooses who spend his days at a never ending rave party. To each his own. Some of the people here really cannot fathom that other people make different lifestyle decisions.

Old 03-17-2022, 09:06 PM

23,560 posts, read 18,707,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maclel View Post
The role of the state is NOT to "nurture and foster growth where there is demand". The market can figure that out with no assistance, thank you. The role of the state is to intervene where there are clear material externalities. This is not such a situation. I would not call what you describe progress but the wanton destruction of human fabrics and natural ecosystems. Also, FWIW, the NIMBY gov't is as much the state as the state politicians are and I will say a much more important and generally altruistic one.

Each post of yours is getting more and more absurd. Of COURSE it's the state's job to provide things like sufficient infrastructure and education to meet current demands and future potential. You don't like it, tear down your home and live in a tree house. Cut off your water, electric and sewer lines. Let mother nature reclaim your homestead and the road leading to you (who needs that, right?). Please do the responsible thing.

Old 03-17-2022, 09:22 PM

23,560 posts, read 18,707,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
At the end of the day I don't particularly want more housing built in MA. I like the woods, I like nature, I think the area has been built up more than it should be, it's freakin' overpopulated as all hell! Look at the traffic and the MBTA. There's no reason why we need to tear down more of nature to fit in more people at this point. Companies can find other cities to go to as well.

You spend much time roaming the scenic woods of the South Weymouth NAS? Come on. Plently of places like that around Eastern Mass (although mostly on a smaller scale), that nobody will notice or care if they accommodate more development (assuming it's fed by appropriate infrastructure upgrades). People are getting worked up over absolutely nothing. We could add hundreds of thousands of housing units and still have plenty of places to disappear into the woods. All it would take is some proper planning, which is what we keep coming back to and a word that also seems foreign to this state.

Old 03-18-2022, 06:43 AM

I thought that old naval station in Weymouth had been built up on already? There is a new section of town homes there. Two guys I worked with in Cambridge bought a town home there (each bought their own) They are not from ma.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.pat...amp/6738182001

In sqauntum. A 4.5 million dollar home in squantum

Old 03-18-2022, 09:40 AM

3,689 posts, read 7,429,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
Of COURSE it's the state's job to provide things like sufficient infrastructure and education to meet current demands and future potential.

There is the key differentiator in this discussion.

Many of us do not believe that is the role of state government.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts