Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-17-2022, 10:06 AM

122 posts, read 81,911 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
You are talking in circles.
Wow, I guess I have no comeback to that powerful well-argued statement.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2022, 10:08 AM

16,395 posts, read 8,187,139 times
Default re

Quote:
Not sure why you would blame the ones creating jobs and economic activity, and for wanting to hire the best and brightest in order to succeed in what they do. That is how the world (at least the free-market one) works. The Boston area is large enough where it should be able to accommodate it, and more but it fails to. Almost like a spoiled child with everything handed to them that most others would kill for, yet squanders it on drugs/booze and never gets their $hit together as an adult.
That's the whole point, it's only catering to one section of society, how do you not see that?

Do you think someone who grew up in Dorchester, Mattapan or Lawrence has much of a shot at getting a job at a place like Moderna or Takeda?

There could be more jobs for people who will not make it that far in life but the only options seem to be custodian, construction or food industry.

Old 03-17-2022, 10:12 AM

23,561 posts, read 18,707,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maclel View Post
Wow, I guess I have no comeback to that powerful well-argued statement.

No man, more like I've already proven you wrong and feel no need to do it again.

Old 03-17-2022, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
That's the whole point, it's only catering to one section of society, how do you not see that?

Do you think someone who grew up in Dorchester, Mattapan or Lawrence has much of a shot at getting a job at a place like Moderna or Takeda?

There could be more jobs for people who will not make it that far in life but the only options seem to be custodian, construction or food industry.
I do not see why not. This kind of geographical determinism reeks of victimism. Brooklyn was an abjectly poor place to grow up in the first decades of the twentieth century, regardless kids growing up there went up to do achieve great things in every field.

Old 03-17-2022, 10:14 AM

Quote:
No man, more like I've already proven you wrong and feel no need to do it again.
Why don't we let future readers decide that?

It's really my fault for engaging the troll.

Old 03-17-2022, 10:15 AM

21,631 posts, read 12,766,606 times
Quote:
I do not see why not. This kind of geographical determinism reeks of victimism. Brooklyn was an abjectly poor place to grow up in the first decades of the twentieth century, regardless kids growing up there went up to do achieve great things in every field.
100 years ago. And they were able to become white over time. and/or hide their ethnicity. Housing was a much less burdensome expense, more land was available, and zoning laws were non-existent.

Old 03-17-2022, 10:17 AM

21,631 posts, read 12,766,606 times
[quote=maclel;63099347]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post

1) Use your common sense please. Do you think folks are letting fallow land sit idle? Of course not. Why do you think people tear down homes? Just look at the GIS maps. You can count with your hands how many empty lots there are. It might look "empty" to you because the houses sit a distance from each other but that does not mean there is an empty lot in between.

2) State average is VERY different from Greater Boston average. Do I really need to explain you this? Newton is way below that. Just look at the GIS map. https://gis2.ci.newton.ma.us/browser.html Moreover, a very large percentage of the land is wetlands and not suitable for construction.

3) Where are you getting that number from? Plus, land might have become protected recently, but that is usually because it wasn't threatened before. There are extremely very few instances of developed land going back to a natural state.
1) yes they are. Its visible. And its fact.

2) Greater Boston is 70% of the state. it really cant be that different. This is also the MA Real Estate Observations thread. Not necessarily Boston (but I AM talking primarily Greater Boston)

3) https://www.massaudubon.org/our-cons...or%20protected

Protected land as a % in MA
1987: 10%
1997: 17.3%
2009:20.6%
2013:25.2%

Last edited by BostonBornMassMade; 03-17-2022 at 10:29 AM..

Old 03-17-2022, 10:18 AM

23,561 posts, read 18,707,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post

It sounded like you were blaming Moderna and Takeda, when you should be blaming our politicians for not just accommodating them but the rest as well.

Old 03-17-2022, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
100 years ago. And they were able to become white over time. and/or hide their ethnicity.
Hmm, ok, I don't see why that matters, but Chinatown in modern day New York is another example of people rising above their station. I don't think the Chinese can become "white" or "hide their ethnicity". Not that I think that Jewish or Italian-origin people in New York are trying to pass as WASPS!!

Old 03-17-2022, 10:19 AM

16,395 posts, read 8,187,139 times
Default re

Quote:
sorry but it's true. Like i said there are people from all over world competing for these jobs. If your dad is a famous dr or scientist it's going to be a lot easier for his kid to get one of these jobs than someone who grew up poor or even middle class.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts