Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2021, 06:42 AM

1,296 posts, read 1,064,231 times

Advertisements

Just out of curiosity, what is the average household income of those considering a $1M+ house, especially if they have kids? Do they all pull in at least $300K combined or are they just being a slave to a bunch of plywood-covered 2x4s sitting on a large patch of dirt?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2021, 06:46 AM

2,352 posts, read 1,779,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robr2 View Post
As I noted earlier, the traffic can be bad very close to the Labs. In the AM, traffic backs up on Hartwell Ave. as the left onto Wood St. is close to the AF base gate. In the PM. traffic backs up on Wood trying to turn onto Mass Ave. to get to 128.
You wouldn't really need to go to the Hartwell way in the AM coming from the South, would you? And in the PM you wouldn't want to take 128 S anyway.

Old 03-25-2021, 08:19 AM

349 posts, read 320,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigfatdude View Post
Just out of curiosity, what is the average household income of those considering a $1M+ house, especially if they have kids? Do they all pull in at least $300K combined or are they just being a slave to a bunch of plywood-covered 2x4s sitting on a large patch of dirt?
My cohort of early to mid 30s is two income professional jobs, concentrated in technology, law, medicine, and drug development. I can't speak to others, but my current work is by far the most interesting and enjoyable of all my jobs. It just happens to pay a lot more now. Not saying it's fair, but that's how the job market is currently incentivized.

Check out this site. The reported jobs are biased towards the more competitive, higher paying jobs. But the actual compensation is accurate as far as I know. $100k - $200k compensation is quite attainable. Above $300k compensation is quite rare in the Boston market, matches my personal experience. That's more business owner or especially talented / specialized jobs.

https://www.levels.fyi/Salaries/Soft...r-Boston-Area/

Financing interest rate is close to inflation, so owning in Boston can be a surprisingly good financial decision as long as you're able to fund the down payment.

Old 03-25-2021, 09:16 AM

2,435 posts, read 1,320,796 times
Quote:
I think you're looking at this the wrong way. It's not about the income but the assets.

That said, to answer your question, nearly all of the $1M+ owners I know have an annual HH income under $300k. The ones whose detailed finances I'm aware of are not saddled in debt or burdened by their housing payment (if they even have one).

Old 03-25-2021, 09:20 AM

5,016 posts, read 3,918,842 times
The strike price in Cambridge has probably fallen a bit during the recession.

Advice that you didn’t ask for- If it were me, I’d buy rent in Cambridge and do the backwards commute for a few years. Once you start a family and grow out of a smaller place, then move out a bit down route 2. At 32, with or without kids, you will feel quite young in these upscale, bucolic suburbs. That goes for any suburb in that direction.

If you’re committed to buying a SFH (and can’t buy in Cambridge at your budget), take the advice above, and instead buy in an inner ring suburb like Arlington to start. With your budget, you can live in one of the more upscale neighborhoods and in a nice home. Arlington has an active downtown, great access to Cambridge and Somerville, and a healthy mix of renters and buyers. A ton of young couples and young families for that reason.

When you do move out a bit further- I agree with those saying Concord. Sounds like it’s your personal favorite of that bunch, and it’s certainly mine as well. If suburban prices/lack of supply persists, and prices in Concord are simply too high at that point, I think you’d be perfectly happy in Acton or Sudbury which will always be within your price range.

Old 03-25-2021, 09:21 AM

Oh, I'm well aware of all of the below, I'm just curious as to what percentage of family income is typically spent on mortgage/tax/utilities when dealing with $1M+ houses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowstatus View Post
My cohort of early to mid 30s is two income professional jobs, concentrated in technology, law, medicine, and drug development. I can't speak to others, but my current work is by far the most interesting and enjoyable of all my jobs. It just happens to pay a lot more now. Not saying it's fair, but that's how the job market is currently incentivized.

Check out this site. The reported jobs are biased towards the more competitive, higher paying jobs. But the actual compensation is accurate as far as I know. $100k - $200k compensation is quite attainable. Above $300k compensation is quite rare in the Boston market, matches my personal experience. That's more business owner or especially talented / specialized jobs.

https://www.levels.fyi/Salaries/Soft...r-Boston-Area/

Financing interest rate is close to inflation, so owning in Boston can be a surprisingly good financial decision as long as you're able to fund the down payment.

Old 03-25-2021, 09:29 AM

5,016 posts, read 3,918,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by id77 View Post
I think you're looking at this the wrong way. It's not about the income but the assets.

That said, to answer your question, nearly all of the $1M+ owners I know have an annual HH income under $300k. The ones whose detailed finances I'm aware of are not saddled in debt or burdened by their housing payment (if they even have one).
Definitely.

$1M+ homeowners that I know with families- without knowing exactly what they make, but instead what they do- make $400k+. They also built a lot of equity in a former purchase, and invest a good % of their money.

Old 03-25-2021, 09:33 AM
r_p

230 posts, read 221,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by id77 View Post
That's right. A lot of wealth that has been created over the last decade. DJI has averaged 15%. If you did nothing and simply maxed your 401k since 2009 then you will have a cool $500k. For dual income earners that is an easy million. Those who actively invested in real estate, TSLA/Bitcoin etc. did much better.

Old 03-25-2021, 10:53 AM

425 posts, read 647,314 times
Quote:
Oh, I'm well aware of all of the below, I'm just curious as to what percentage of family income is typically spent on mortgage/tax/utilities when dealing with $1M+ houses.
I would guess like 50% but it's not really a useful benchmark. A lot of people in the the area who work in tech and biotech may have a bunch of money in company stock/stock options so that % is less relevant if they have access to cash that is not reflected in their income.

I would say most people who can get into the $1M+ category as a "young family" likely do so by trading up in their homes (say bought in Somerville 5 years ago) or they made bank in company equity.

Old 03-25-2021, 11:03 AM

50% in housing costs? Sheeeeeeiiiit, and here we were thinking more than 25% of gross pay is a bad idea. That's not just house-poor, that's house-destitute!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hken View Post
I would guess like 50% but it's not really a useful benchmark. A lot of people in the the area who work in tech and biotech may have a bunch of money in company stock/stock options so that % is less relevant if they have access to cash that is not reflected in their income.

I would say most people who can get into the $1M+ category as a "young family" likely do so by trading up in their homes (say bought in Somerville 5 years ago) or they made bank in company equity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts